Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cattle rustling in New England!

And how much of the abuse caught on video has been staged by PETA et al. to prove the abuse is happening?

Sorry, I'm surrounded by farms, and the animals seem pretty well cared for.

Put down the broad brush, you're spattering yourself with.....
    Last edited by Lady's Human; 09-05-2012 at 07:16 AM.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    And how much of the abuse caught on video has been staged by PETA et al. to prove the abuse is happening?

Sorry, I'm surrounded by farms, and the animals seem pretty well cared for.

Put down the broad brush, you're spattering yourself with.....
    The videos I was referring to, were filmed at some of the large meat slaughter houses and packing plants - in the west or mid-west I believe it was. But many of the big commercial farms have deplorable conditions also - animals so cramped and crowded together that they can't even turn around or lay down is only one of the inhumane incidents that I have seen. One video showed a steer that had been shot in the head at the slaughter house but didn't die, so one of the workers was standing on it's snout to try to smother it to death. Another bullet would have been much more humane, but bullets cost money, and why waste money when smothering it didn't cost a cent? Of course this is just one example, and there have been many others involving pigs, chickens, etc., and staged or not staged, it is so unnecessary! And lest we forget the practice of shark finning in other countries............
    JMO, but I don't feel the treatment many of these farm raised for consumption animals receive is at all necessary, and in no way acceptable.

ETA: And the majority of these facilities and farms that are guilty of this abuse, are the ones that provide meat and poultry to the fast food chains and chain restaurants, and also school systems, so the demand for constant supplies of meat/poultry is enormous. Of course they won't pamper their charges, as they are in it for the big profits they make, and not for being even remotely concerned for the welfare of their money makers.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cataholic View Post
    Not to quibble with you, but neither of these statments are overly accurate. Abuse of farm animals is at the top of many humane lobbying groups agenda, and we could feed many, many more people with the grain we feed our livestock, then with the flesh of the livestock.
    They are accurate & I live in a farming community on a farm & we raise cattle. Why would we abuse our animals? Enjoy your bowl of cereal people can not live on grain alone they need protein in their diet.

The lobbying groups should spend more time & be more concerned about the conditions of humans.
    The frost is on the pumpkin & I've been BOO'D by two pet talk ghosts.
    Thank you Fritz & Cassiesmom

I went on a field trip back in high school and we went on a trip to a LOCAL dairy farm. The cows were treated as royally as a cow can be treated, and you'd be able to tell otherwise. It was so clean to, I mean sure it still smelled but it was immaculate for a cow farm. The cows even had names.

I think we all know abuse happens, but I think that is more on the factory farms then anything else. I don't think anyone is denying that fact but not all farm animals are treated terribly. Wouldn't make much sense to me, especially for a LOCAL smaller farmer to abuse his livelihood like that. There are bad apples, just like there are with pet owners.

Each community/town/state/country is different

I live in Vermont - and have lived near two farms for at least 15 years. One farmer treats his animals like pets, but doesn't have the Vet come out unless its an emergency. He doesn't REALLY take care of them like you and I would take care of a dog or a cat. They are way over-fed and seldom have the hooves trimmed.

The other farm, on the other side of me is in business. They have clean, clean environments for their cattle and they have a Vet there often. They also sell their milk to a BST free conglomerate. Actually, I had several cows in my yard this morning on my way to work. I had to herd them back to the farm with my car horn! It was pretty funny.

So, each farmer decides what he/she is willing to spend on their animals. Who is to say what is correct, other than those times when neglect is evident.

Farmers around here are finding it difficult to dispose of sick cattle so they often take them into the woods, shoot them and the bury them with a backhoe. I don't know what they do in other farms, but here it is expensive to dispose of sick or dying cows.

Anywho, I imagine each state has its own laws and requirements when it comes to selling a product to the public vs. having cattle/animals as pets.

Ag laws are set by the federal government as a baseline. The states can modify, but not avoid federal standards. (they can make stricter standards, but cannot go below federal baselines set by USDA)
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Goodness this thread really got off topic!!

The 2 farmers own the 49 head of cattle between them. That is all they have. They said they count their stock daily and were stunned that morning one went and . . . only the 2 goats were out in the pasture!

We got off topic, ..... sorta

There was concern about the number of animals or how many people must have been involved in the escapade thus, we got off on the carriers they may have used. Treatment of cattle came up as a result of the carriers. We aren't that far off. We are still being kind to one another, I think!

Nothing surprised me today, when it comes to stealing and damaging others' property. I think the economy isn't helping, but my guess is that much of the theft involves someone needing to buy drugs or guns. Opppsss. Not so much guns, but yes, drugs. I could be wrong. Where there is crime there is usually a gun involved, yes? And the end result is the sale of the stolen goods. To buy what? D R U G S ! not baby formula.

How's about the farmers not allowing cows to dress in that fabric that crinkles.....

Voila'!

No more cattle rustling!

*giggle* Thanks for that, Richard!

Its called crinoline or taffeta, Richard.

Yup - I can just picture those cows in their crinoline tutus.........
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

I had to look up how to spell crinoline! It is pronounced, /k/rinl'in...but I knew it wasn't spelled like that. Been a long time since I wore either.

See - cows really do wear tutus.............

.Name:  tutu.jpg
Views: 811
Size:  46.3 KB
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

I'm simply aghast that you would post such blatant abuse here, Pom.

Think of the poor cow's dignity?

As an aside, would that be a tutu or a fourfour?