Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When it rains, it pours. Now Mac is ill.

You asked if anyone had a cat that didnt want to eat. What I'm going to say will not give you comfort or make you feel better. Last month my Luke cat went from eating alot to barely eating to not eating. He drank some liquids and mainly slept. I took him to vet for blood work & xrays and was told he had liver and kidney failure. Bottom Line: he was dying and a few days later he was so weak he had trouble walking and I had to have him PTS. I'm sure he had been sick awhile but I didnt notice it until he stopped eating. Maybe your cat will be lucky and not be critically ill.

i had Mac to the vet today and they could find nothing really wrong with him. His heart was strong, teeth were great, not masses found, and he is in no obvious pain. They took some blood and are running some tests on it today. They will let me know tomorrow sometime if they find anything. He hasn't lost as much weight as I thought he did, he still weighs 6 lbs, he's only lost a pound or so. They gave him an appetite stimulant and we are going to see how that works. The vet told me she didn't think it was anything that serious, his heart rate is good and she said she doubted it was a thyroid problem. Well, I guess the bloodwork will tell the story. Keep the good thoughts coming.
    Proud to be a crazy cat lady!

This sounds promising! Good thoughts and prayers are coming from us that the vet is right and there isn't anything that serious going on here.

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

I'm relieved to hear that he seems to be in good health other than his loss of appetite. Hopefully the blood work will tell you something and if it does I hope it's easy to treat.

Like I mentioned before, maybe he just doesn't like his old food any more. I used to feed most of my cats Wellness Core dry. Then for some odd reason my RB Storm, Ziggy, & Pearl refused to eat it. Only Sky would still eat it. I had to switch to a different grain free brand so now I feed everyone Merrick's Before Grain Chicken dry. I can now even feed Alani & Blaze this food and they have very sensitive tummies. It's also much less expensive. They didn't all like the Before Grain canned food though so I'm sticking with the Chicken & Turkey grain free Wellness canned. Here's a link to the Before Grain Chicken dry http://products.merrickpetcare.com/p...Cat/BG-Chicken and it also comes in Salmon & Tuna dry too.

Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent Mac's way.

I just got the results of Mac's bloodwork. He has hyperthyroidism and will be put on meds. No cancer, no kidney failure (yea!), just something treatable. I'm leaving in a few minutes to pick up his meds (which aren't expensive, thank God!). The vet is a bit concerned about the lack of appetite, but hopes the meds will pick him up in a couple of days. Thank all of you for your kind thoughts and prayers. Now, on to getting my cat on the road to health!

That's great! Mac, you are receiving the very best of care, aren't you!

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

I love my vet! She is a bit expensive, but she has brought both Mac and Ming back from the brink on more than one occasion. Mac is now on Tapazole and an appetite stimulant. He has eaten on his own this morning and is now sleeping on the bed, cuddled up to Ming. My two miracle babies. Have any of you had any experience with a cat on Tapazole? He has to go back to the vet in 3 weeks for more blood work, but that's okay by me. By the way, thank you all for your generous donations to my Paypal account. These funds will completely cover Mac's expenses. Again, THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH!

Yay! I am so glad it is something treatable, and that your expenses were covered. Please give your miracle babies some cuddles from me!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Whew! I'm so glad to hear that he has something that can be treated. I hope that the pills will do the trick and that he'll return to his old self very soon. My RB Storm also had hyperthyroidism but he was put on Methimazole 2.5mg and he was on 2 pills a day. He'd get one in the morning and one in the evening. I would wrap them in part of a pill pocket and he just thought that he was getting a treat. Before he was diagnosed, I do remember that he was drinking a lot more water than usual and he seemed hungrier too. He had also lost some weight which I didn't even realize because of his long fur coat. He never needed an increase in his doseage like some cats do and he was also on pred which also increased his appetite because he also had small intestinal disease. I thought his medicine was kind of expensive but I did buy 200 pills each time so that I didn't have to keep going back to buy refills so often. I actually still have some of his pills left over. I hope Mac is easy to pill. Good luck.

I looked up Tapazole, Tracy, and it is just another name for Methimazole. Mac is on 2.5 mg. twice a day, just like Storm. He is also on an appetite stimulant which is working fairly well. My vet gave me a very nice pill popper, so pilling him is a breeze! According to my son, Mac ate quite a bit of dry while I was at work today. This is on top of the few mouthfulls he ate this morning. If he keeps eating, he gets more of the appetite stimulant on Thursday. Today, he was back to being a lap kitty, he hasn't climbed up on anyone's lap in about 2 weeks. I hope these meds work. So far, so good.

By the way, I only had to pay about $20 for a 30 day supply. I am going to order his next bottle from Pet Meds. That is where I get Ming's Amitriptyline. I get 100 of those babies for about $10.