Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When it rains, it pours. Now Mac is ill.

When it rains, it pours. Now Mac is ill.

My kitty, Mac, has stopped eating and just isn't acting like himself. Sometimes he seems pretty normal and other times he goes into his hidey hole and refuses food or water. I want to ask this: For those of you who sent me Paypal money for Ming (who is quite healthy now and ruling the house with a velvet Siamese paw), would you mind if I used these funds to get Mac into the vets? I've been force-feeding him, but I don't want to keep on doing that. If it is his time to go to the Bridge, I can live with that, he's an old cat who has earned his Rest. But if there is something they can do (within reason) I want to know. I just don't want him living like this. Do you guys think it would be okay to use your donations (or part of them anyway) for Mac?
    Proud to be a crazy cat lady!

Ok with me, for sure

Surely do what you need to do with the money I sent. It was a gift. I don't usually donate so easily, but for some reason, I felt as though I should. So have at it. I know how expensive it can be to keep a pet healthy. My last bill to have Chloe the cat's teeth clean was nearly $700. Yikes!

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    Quote Originally Posted by sasvermont View Post
    Surely do what you need to do with the money I sent. It was a gift. I don't usually donate so easily, but for some reason, I felt as though I should. So have at it. I know how expensive it can be to keep a pet healthy. My last bill to have Chloe the cat's teeth clean was nearly $700. Yikes!
    Ditto. The $$ was a gift, not a loan.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

Same here! It's a gift, not a loan. I just got back from holidays so I hope Mac checks out ok.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

He's not hiding any more and he is drinking normally. He still isn't eating on his own and I won't have time to take him to the vet until Friday. Oh well. He is alert and active, just very thin and it looks like he is slowing down. He doesn't seem to be in any pain, but I will find out more at the vets.

I'm so sorry to hear this. I know how things can be when you have more than one cat. I sure hope that he recovers on his own and that he'll start eating on his own again. If you do end up taking him to the vet, I hope that whatever is causing this can be easily diagnosed and treated. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent his way.

Do iany of you have any idea what would make a cat stop eating? He's not vomiting, he doesn't seem to be in any pain (you can pick him up and move his limbs and no protests). The only time he seems to be upset is when I force food down him. I have a test tomorrow morning for a second job I would LOVE to have and I can't miss that! So Friday is the only day I can take him. My current job is giving me MANY hours now, so time to take Mac to the vet is limited. Why, oh why, do they have to grow old?

Just a guess

I would make sure his mouth is examined by someone. He may have dental problems, although my vet said that doesn't usually stop cats and dogs from eating.

I did have once cat that stopped eating and was ALSO unable to drink. She had a lump in her mouth that turned out to be cancer. I fed her water with an eye dropper for a couple of days until she could be sent off to the Rainbow Bridge. She was a dear, dear kitty named Mandy and was my first Abyssinian cat. She was around 10 when this happened and the vet could not operate as the tumor was on her tongue. Kitty's cannot live without their tongues. I didn't even have a choice. Poor Mandy girl. There is a funny story about her passing. I took her to be put down, brought her sweet furry body home and put it on my bed because I couldn't deal with it just yet. Hours later when I decided to bury her, her body WAS STILL WARM TO THE TOUCH. I thought she was still alive and freaked out. Here I had left the electric blanket on and it had kept her warm. I figured it out after a few minutes. She was such a sweet girl and it was so sad to see her struggle to eat. My heart was broken when she left this earth.

Sorry to get off topic. I would try to pry his widdle mouth open and take a look. Look UNDER his tongue too. This may be impossible but make sure the Vet looks under there too.

Good luck and keep us posted.

I really don't why he'd just stop eating either unless for some reason he's just decided that he now hates the food that you're feeding him or he has an underlying illness. I'm going through something a bit similar with Alani & Blaze but it's mainly Alani. They both used to come running for their food and now usually only Blaze will come running for it. I have to go find Alani and take him to his food. I then watch to make sure he's eating which he is but he doesn't finish all of his food. He used to also try to steal Blaze's food. Now both of them have been leaving some of their dry food behind. I've mentioned this to my vet. Alani did recently have an eye infection which I gave him drops for but he's over it now so I just don't understand what's causing his problem now either. I sure wish that they could talk to us and let us know what's wrong.

When you bring him to the vet maybe your vet can give him a vitamin B12 shot because this is supposed to help to stimulate the appetite. Ziggy had to have some of these when she stopped eating and it really helped her. More prayers and positive thoughts are being sent his way. Please take care.(((HUGS)))

Oh, dearest Mac, we are all saying our prayers for you and sending along good wishes and healing energies that whatever is going on is not serious and can be fixed up without too much trouble or expense. We hope you are back in fine form very soon!

from Pat and cats
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

So how is Mac doing today? Is he eating on his own yet?

No, not yet. But, he is drinking and using the litterbox on his own. Today he hid for part of the day, then came out and has been sociable in the living room. I am truly puzzled by this. He seems fairly normal except for the not eating. He is getting thin and I have been force-feeding him twice a day. He seems to take Gerbers meat and veggies baby foods the best (thanks for the tip on that, you guys!) He is alert, just not eating. I'm thinking a dental problem, but it could be something else. He doesn't seem to be in pain when you pick him up, so who knows?

I called my vet on Thursday and she didn't have an opening until Monday morning, so Mac is going in then. I'm really worried, but I need answers. KAK, I may need help paying for this if it's a dental problem or if he needs bloodwork. I know you offered before, but if they will treat him before my check from Paypal comes in, I should be able to afford this. I just didn't need this right after Ming's vet bill, but I guess that is just the way life goes sometimes. I willl keep updates coming, I promise. If you guys could spare a good thought for my little orange guy, I would really apprectiate it.

I'm sorry to hear that he's still not eating. I sure hope that whatever is causing this is easy to diagnose and also easy to treat. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent his way.

My Alani is eating better but he's still not acting like himself either. He's sleeping a lot more than he normally does. I'm hoping that he'll also improve too.

KAK, I'm sending good thoughts out to Alani and the rest of your crew. Life just isn't the same when one of them isn't quite right.

Quote Originally Posted by katladyd View Post
    KAK, I'm sending good thoughts out to Alani and the rest of your crew. Life just isn't the same when one of them isn't quite right.
    Thanks.