Thread: Puppy had Hiccups

Puppy had Hiccups

Hi My 9 week old bull mastiff gets the hiccups quite a lot mainly after eating but sometimes he just gets them randomly is this normal, or do I need to take him to the vets? I appreciate any help .
    Last edited by diane21; 09-07-2012 at 07:21 AM.

Make sure he isn't wolfing down his food too quickly, but otherwise I wouldn't worry about it. His digestive system is still a work in progress! To slow his eating, you can get a large rock and put it in his bowl so he has to eat around it!
    I've Been Frosted

My older dog got hiccups all the time when he was a puppy. I would just pat him on the back until they went away. I have no idea if what I did actually had any effect, but at least it felt nice. After the first couple of years it didn't happen much at all.

Dogs usually get hiccups like us especially puppies. I wouldn't worry about it since it's normal.
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

My friend told me "It's a puppys way of growing" like that theory! Gretchen is so cute when she gets the hiccups.
    Owned by my 8 precious furry kids... My 3 daughters Cindy & Abby & Aly and 5 sons Skinny, Stephen, Carson, Fuzzmuzz and Franklin.
    Owned by two special canine sons Coco and Snoopy and two canine daughters, Sadie and Gretchen

Always in our hearts RBButterscotch & RBThumper, RB Ms. Eleanor

When my Chihuahua was a puppy a day didn't go by that she didn't get the hiccups. She's now 7 years old and rarely gets them.