Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Please help me!!!!!

Thank you! And I'm sorry, you all do have great advice,I just felt like some of y'all were upset at me and I do adore my dogs...I just wanted some help with a problem I never encountered before. I will definitely start with more exercise; and thanks snowdrops...I checked out those websites and I love the ideas. My dogs learn tricks really fast and they love it so I will try some of those. Thank you so much!

Any ideas for what to use for a homemade agility set?
    Owned by my baby and heart-dog Lolli.

If each pet we love takes a part of our heart and replaces it with a part of theirs, my heart is a very strange collection of pieces, but I wouldn't have it any other way

Some people believe holding on and hanging in there are signs of great strength. However, there are times when it takes much more strength to know when to let go, and then do it. --Ann Landers

Some Home-made Agility Equipement !

Lolli...

What you can't make try eBay for.. and other sites like Amazon . You may have to save up.. but its worth it for happy dogs.

MUCH you can make yourself... jumps and Dog walks and Pause Tables and weave poles ... the only real problem one is the tunnel/shute.. but you can buy that seperately.

This is one set you could save for.. but honestly... make what you can and buy a shute

Agility set.
    http://www.affordableagility.com/agilityinbag.htm

Tunnel/shutes at Amazon
    http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&keyw...tunnels&page=1

Ok... you have a computer... do your research for stuff.. compare prices... but you should be able to make alot ! You arent looking for competition grade... just fun SAFE stuff ...

Below is a few homemade directions too !!

"A" Frame

This piece will be heavy so make sure you know where you want it.

You'll need 2 pieces of plywood 3/4 inch thick if possible. It would be best to frame this on the underside for stability with 2x4's or 1x2's.

The contact side will need thin slats running across at aprox. 12 inches apart for gripping. These slats will need to have the sharp edges sanded smooth to avoid injury.

The surface will need to be painted with a flat paint (glossy is too slick) and a fine sand between coats. That is paint your board and cover the paint with generous layer of sand while still wet. Let dry and the excess sand will come off easily. Repeat that process. You want the contact sides to have as much traction as possible.

Join the 2 pieces of painted plywood with strong hinges. On the inside of the frame, hooks and chains can be used on both sides as a "stop" so the frame only opens as far as the chain allows.

You will need to "cover" the very top where it hinges with a carpet strip or something simular so toes and paws aren't caught in the "fold".

Dog Walk

You will need 3 planks, 12 inches wide, 2 inches think and I think they come 10 or 12 feet long.

Your base can be made from sawhorses, utility ladders such as you find in hardware stores that fold in a variety of ways, up-side-down metal trash cans, whatever you find that is the right height for you and stable. Some bases are constructed from PVC. I intend on using 2 plastic 55 gallon barrels/drums and fill them half way with water to give the lower portion weight, making them hard to tip over.

As with the A Frame, the incline and decline planks will need slats. Paint and apply sand in layers as described in the A Frame to all the planks on the contact sides.

Connect the planks together with hinges on the underside. Here you may be able to find removable pin hinges for easier assembly, and disassembly for moving or storage.

As with the A Frame, the "folds" will have to be covered or filled to avoid toe/paw injury if there is a significant gap. By trimming the ends at an angle the gap can be avoided when assembled

Home Made Weave Poles

White drainage pipes from any DIY store;
    brush handle to fit inside pipe cut into approx 2" at one end and 3" at other;
    six inch nails (for the ground spikes);
    coloured electricians tape (mum did that bit) - or paint

cut pipes into 2'6" lengths;
    knock 6" nail into 3" piece of wood;
    fit into one end of pipe and screw it;
    get the 2" piece of wood and fit in other end of pipe and screw it;
    JOB DONE!
    Love is more than proximity.... its part of the fabric of our souls... We are their Mission.

Freebie Digital Graphics http://snowdropslighthouse.blogspot.com/

Thanks!

Thanks so much! I will do that. Last night when I got home from work I took them each on a 1/2 mile bike ride. I was pleasantly surprised to find that Lolli's newly learned 'no pull' applies to a bicycle too. I would have gone further but I discovered that both my bikes have flat tires Then we worked on some trick training and they did well. Thanks so much!

If each pet we love takes a part of our heart and replaces it with a part of theirs, my heart is a very strange collection of pieces, but I wouldn't have it any other way

Some people believe holding on and hanging in there are signs of great strength. However, there are times when it takes much more strength to know when to let go, and then do it. --Ann Landers

Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyy !!

Wonderful start !!

Hoping you can get the tyres fixed and do a bit more daily with them.. you will see a difference if you work to this plan !

Keep a Diary. It will also let you see the good days and the improvements and the "what to change " things !

Well Done Lolli!! You CAN do this !!
    Love is more than proximity.... its part of the fabric of our souls... We are their Mission.

Really enjoyed reading this thread. Snowdrops is a dear friend of mine and it's obvious she will be a wonderful addition to our PT (pet talk) family

Yeah...thanks for all the support and wonderful advice Snowdrops!

Wavesssss!

Wavessss to Moon and Bean and Sunny !

"BLUSH" !!!

Mostly its just common sense... but when you get overwhelmed with a situation as Lolli was its hard to see the wood for the trees.

Just needs an outside look to shake the cobwebs off.

Lolli.. you have beautiful dogs... and I know you love them. This isnt going to be easy to work this out.. but it CAN be done. You will be alot less stressed... your dogs will be tired and happy and they wont be getting in trouble...

Also... no having to explain to the Landlord !!

Let us know how you are doing... there will be good and bad days... keep that Diary I suggested !

Love the pic of the dogs !

Thanks!