Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please help me!!!!!

Please help me!!!!!

Lolli and Buddy, my two English Springer Spaniels, are both about 1 1/2 yrs old. They are really energetic and we live on about two acres of land. They live outside and I use Invisible Fence. Overnight they destroy everything...and I mean everything. Garden hoses, toys, anything that gets left in their reach. So, I solved that problem and I kennel them at night. This morning my mom told me that they started digging at the side of the house during the day when I'm at work. They dug out the pipe made to direct rain water away from the house and they pulled insulation away from the side of the house.Knowing them, they'll probably start on the siding next If our landlord sees this, I may have to part with my dogs, and I can't do that! I know they are bored. They don't do this when I am home. Please, any suggestions on how to stop them and how to keep them from being bored! Thanks
    Last edited by lolli94; 08-29-2012 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Remove insult to landlord...Sorry =(
    Owned by my baby and heart-dog Lolli.

If each pet we love takes a part of our heart and replaces it with a part of theirs, my heart is a very strange collection of pieces, but I wouldn't have it any other way

Some people believe holding on and hanging in there are signs of great strength. However, there are times when it takes much more strength to know when to let go, and then do it. --Ann Landers

Need their minds occupied

First... consider doing things that will occupy their minds ! Kongs stuffed with peanut butter and frozen .... they take time to work through. There are a zillion things you can do to help them in this way. Toys that make them think etc....

Also.. consider constructing a proper fenced and floored dog run. The landlord isnt being picky... he wants his property in decent order.

Springer Spaniels are intense working dogs... (when you did your research before getting them you will have realised that) they cant just be 'left' they need occupation and interest. You are also going to have to put some time and re training in . This is a habit they have obviously got used to be able to doing (you said said they have been destroying garden stuff).

Start from square one with training... add alot of exercise.... ALOT ! Tired dogs are happy Furs !

You can turn this around !

Good Luck !

How much exercise do they get every day? What mental stimulation do they get? They need more to keep their minds and bodies occupied. Do they have toys they can play with instead of finding things to do? How long are they left alone each day? What is your daily routine with them?
    I've Been Frosted

Thanks! I live at home with my family; I have 7 siblings that are home all day with my mom. People are in and out of the house all day long, except now that school started they are inside more(They are home schooled). I usually let the dogs out of their kennel around 8 in the morning and they run around chasing birds before I feed them. I do have the option of kenneling them while I am at work(the kennel is about 6 by 8 feet), but being Springers, they will only be bored and I can't do that to them. Yeah, I knew what I was getting when I decided on a Springer Our dogs have always lived outside and entertained themselves a lot of the time, but since we moved to this house there just isn't much for them to do. I am considering agility, do you know where I could get a set?

If each pet we love takes a part of our heart and replaces it with a part of theirs, my heart is a very strange collection of pieces, but I wouldn't have it any other way

Some people believe holding on and hanging in there are signs of great strength. However, there are times when it takes much more strength to know when to let go, and then do it. --Ann Landers

They are already bored !

They are bored to destruction... literally ! You have to walk them... at least 1 hour hard exercise... preferably 2 hours a day. They are not "entertain themselves" dogs. No dog is. You need to work with them.. re train them ,school them. Agility is a great idea. many parts of the sets you can make yourself. EBay is also a good source.

Get training books from the Library... KNOW what they need !

But bottom line is.. these are your dogs and you are going to need to work with them and provide them with stimulous and exercise.

Again.... Good Luck.. but you are going to need to change your life with them to have happy calm dogs. You CAN do this.
    Love is more than proximity.... its part of the fabric of our souls... We are their Mission.

Freebie Digital Graphics http://snowdropslighthouse.blogspot.com/

snowdrops beat me to it.. thy are beyond bored.. a bored dog. needless to say a super energetic one will become destructive.. as that's the only way they can get rid of the energy accumulation..

dogs do entertain themselves with each other.. but for like 5 minutes.. and that in no way makes up for the exercise they need to reaaaally be tired and non destructive..

take them for a loooong run.. like snowdrops said 1-2 hrs.. hop on a bike and have them run next to you with a leash or a spring thingy.. and when left alone give them plenty of mental stimulation toys so they keep their mind occupied in something.. that also tires them
    Corinna´s Christmas Card Swap ´06
    dedicated to a lovely woman who won many hearts along her life...........
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

http://365project.org/isabelle/365

Could you enlist your siblings to help exercise them? Have someone take them for a good long walk/run mid-day, or throw a ball for them for a while, etc? You can even make your own sort of agility set-up, and maybe enlist a sibling or two to help with that, and that will get them more invested in the dogs' lives and give the dogs more fun times! Even training to do "tricks" on command is good mental stimulation, and anyone can do that!
    I've Been Frosted

Thanks! I will do that. I'm just not used to such energetic dogs, these are my first Springers and before that we've had low energy dogs. At our old house we had a farm across the road from us and a pond on our property. Here we have neither and Indiana summers are just too hot to do much. Thankfully it has cooled down now so I can do fun stuff with them outside. I love them and can't bear the thought of parting with them, so I'm really grateful for your suggestions. I am also thinking of getting a small kid pool for them to play in.

It does sound like these 2 dogs are bored and full of energy. Do they get walked at all? They need a walk DAILY! I walk my small dogs for 2 miles per day, yours need much more activity. They also need work, a job to do.l Agility would be a great way to go, have you found a place which offers classes? I have my Willy in agility and will start my Riley girl soon too. Willy has been in classes for 18 months and loves it SO much!

Blog Entries
    Kinda crossed my mind too but lolli94 is reaching out for help and seems to be very open to any suggestions. Therefore, I believe the situation is far from hopeless and a few changes and a couple tweaks could make all the difference in the world in their behavior and quality of life. Big responsibility, but there's room for a learning curve....right?

It can still be mended...

I too wondered as the young lady said she had researched this breed. BUT... what is done is done.. and as said... with some hard thinking and hard work this situation can be turned around.

Lolli clearly loves these dogs.. and with a bit more learning (library... or on line) and alot more exercise and fun and games she can get the dogs on a really good learning curve with her !

I also understand the lack of being able to work hard in the heat.. (its been 120F + here some days) but if she can get up EARLY and do a good hour of exercise with them , then leave them with some "brain games" and put in another hour come dusk... and with the weather cooling a bit now.... she CAN make this work. Also.... do more than that at weekends if possible. These dogs have had a long time to learn bad habits.. they have to UNlearn those with the reward being occupied minds and tired bodies !

The fact she is reaching out for help when she knows this is a bit of a mess shows she cares to try very hard to DO something about it all.
    Love is more than proximity.... its part of the fabric of our souls... We are their Mission.

My dogs are my life!!!! I adore them and I spend time every day just sitting down and cuddling or playing. I work 3 days a week and that's when they get into mischief. I got Lolli when I had lots of time for her and tons of room for her to play. I got Buddy as a companion for her under the same circumstances almost a year later. We just moved and I am trying to figure this out. I researched Springers for a long time before getting one. They get attention often every day, its just mornings when everybody is busy with school that they get little attention. Thanks to those of you who understand.
    Last edited by lolli94; 08-29-2012 at 12:29 PM.

Is there a reason they can't be allowed indoors? I know you said you pay attention to them and all but you don't realize how much attention and interaction can be had just in day to day life of being allowed in the house and part of the activities. I just do not understand "outside dogs" not trying to be offensive but I don't get having a dog and not letting them indoors at all.

Someday they will be house dogs. My mom and my landlord won't allow it right now.

Slow down... write a Plan out..... EXERCISE !

Lolli... slow down...

Ok.. you have had alot of advice... now... sit down... take paper and pen... and work out a routine.

You want to make it right... no-one here doubts that... no-one...

There are lots of simple things you can do to make it alot easier and better for them and you.. and that wont cost alot of money.

SO.... first step... sit and prepare a plan.... and the very 1st thing on that plan that can make a difference is exercise... and mind games.. and teaching a few tricks.

Here are some links... not looked much at them.. but they willl give you a start.

http://dogs.thefuntimesguide.com/200..._in_a_kong.php

http://www.kongstuffing.com/?p=263

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/dog-t...og-tricks.html

List
    Exercise
    Games and Tricks to make them THINK
    MORE Exercise !

Thats a good start... and you can start today.