Thread: How do you set up a Chip In Fund? Need asap info please!

How do you set up a Chip In Fund? Need asap info please!

We have a bichon owner on FB in need. Her Coley blew out his knee and needs ACL surgery - it is $3000. She does not have it. For the past 3 weeks she has been keeping him in his crate, carrying him outside to do his business, and trying to find a lower cost with no success.

We want to set up a chip in fund, none of us knows how it is handled. Pros, cons, what to watch out for, what works, what doesn't, please advise!

Thank you PT'ers!

Sandie, I don't know how to start one, but they work great. Handsome Dan's Rescue, over in Cranston, uses them for some of their rescues. Recently Hope, a pittie puppy with terrible mange, had one set up - they got over $3000 in a matter of days.

I've contributed to that one, and it was super easy.

Check out their website - http://www.chipin.com/overview

Where does she live? Might a veterinary school near her give her a discounted price or anything?
    I've Been Frosted

Grace, thank you! I didn't realize there was a web site, I thought it was something folks do with a paypal so I've sent this along to her. GREAT!!!

Karen, she lives in Lochbuie, Colorado. We've directed her to Fort Collins vet school (very highly regarded) and given her many links for financial aid, she is going to give all this a shot as well. She has already contacted 5 different vets and basically it is $3000 give or take $125.

Some are really jumping that she waited 3 weeks to even let us know she and Coley have this problem. Poor Coley! The heal time for ACL is several months of crate time as it is, so we really just want to get him in surgery at this point!

While she is working on the vet school and the aid apps, we can be raising funds in the chip in.

Thanks, both of you!

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    Even if she doesn't want to apply to IMOM.org (but it wouldn't hurt), I suggest she contact IMOM and check out the websites that are linked to it. They have worked with hundreds of vets and other organizations that may be able to donate or direct her to other alternatives. Here is a link to their other sources of aid page: http://www.imom.org/fa/others.htm

Also -- even though they are closed -- contact http://www.oslf.org/ (Orthodogs' Silver Lining). They can also provide a lot of information on orthopedic issues with dogs and hopefully direct her to other resources that can help.

The important thing is that any of these isn't mutually exclusive. You can have a Chip-in account going and IMOM raising funds too. As long as IMOM knows how much you've received from other sources.

Fingers, paws and whiskers crossed.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

Thanks, IMOM was on the list of places I sent to her, I will pass along your additional info.

Oh for goodness sakes, she does not want to 'ask' for money and won't do a chip in. One of her closer friends (someone who knows her in the real world not just online) is going to ring her tonight and try to talk her around. GAH!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    Thanks, IMOM was on the list of places I sent to her, I will pass along your additional info.

Oh for goodness sakes, she does not want to 'ask' for money and won't do a chip in. One of her closer friends (someone who knows her in the real world not just online) is going to ring her tonight and try to talk her around. GAH!!!
    Just how does she expect to get the $$$ needed. The poor dog has been miserable for 3 weeks - if she waits much longer, it will take more $$$ and a more intensive procedure. Scar tissue is forming as we speak

Some one should point out that she is abusing her dog.

Grace, she is willing to apply for financial aid, just not asking for money. But we'll see what develops.