Thread: East coast earthquake anniversary

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens

East coast earthquake anniversary

Today is the 1 year anniversary of the rare 5.8 earthquake that had the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic regions rockin' & rollin' last year. As the house was actually rocking back and forth, my grandson was clinging to the sofa for dear life, while the chandelier over the dining room table swung back and forth, and drawers and cabinet doors in the kitchen flew open. This went on for about 20 seconds and it was over before I had time to realize what the heck had just happened - it was then that I called 911. The pups slept thru it!!! The first thing I did when I went outside, was to open the garage door to make sure that my son's Harley didn't go over - nope - it was still standing. Thankfully we had no damage other then a piece of trim up along the roof that came down. That was my first earthquake - and hopefully, my last.

Anyone else remember that weird day?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

I remember the news coverage from it, but we didn't feel it up here!
    I've Been Frosted

WOW!!! This is truly bizarre. Yes, I remember that day, but I'll get to that in a minute. I just related this topic to my husband, and he said, "Really, to the day one year?" I said yes, to the day. He just looked at me and said, WOW. I didn't connect. He asked if I remembered waking up in the wee hours this morning; the realization came and I just looked at him and said 'Oh my God!'

I woke up about four this morning making very strange noises (Coop said it sounded like I was warming up for choir, I thought I was screaming), he asked if I was OK, and I said - "We were just in an earthquake". I have NEVER had a nightmare/dream that we were in an earthquake. Very, very ironic.

Anyway, yes, I was at work training the new rep I had just hired for the Reno office. There was a sound like a freight train, my office shook, and I completely froze. My boss came running in and said "GET OUT OF THE BUILDING!". I thought - oh, is that what I'm supposed to be doing? Our church steeple got some significant damage and was on National news for that earthquake.
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!

I was at my old place of work, an amusement park, enjoying the day with my friend. I was off but we came to ride the rides. I was in the car and didn't feel it. I remember the rides being closed and trying to call my mom and the phone lines were down (or too many people were usin' them). Strange indeed.

Must say we're lucky to never have anything like that out here. We did have a small tornado that hit across town and did some damage about 25 yrs ago but that was a first. For the past 2 yrs we've had some gale force winds but no real heavy duty damage to speak of, some shingles off some roofs and siding on some houses too , a few broken trees but our trees aren't very big around here.
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----

I was at work training the new rep I had just hired for the Reno office
    I bet he could have taught YOU a few things about earthquakes! We get them all the time here but it still rattles my nerves. The ones we've had lately just feel like a truck is going by or someone slammed the door hard. I suspect we are due for one soon.

Interesting about the dream. The mind works in amazing ways!
    Stay safe out there people!

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinot's Mom View Post
    WOW!!! This is truly bizarre. Yes, I remember that day, but I'll get to that in a minute. I just related this topic to my husband, and he said, "Really, to the day one year?" I said yes, to the day. He just looked at me and said, WOW. I didn't connect. He asked if I remembered waking up in the wee hours this morning; the realization came and I just looked at him and said 'Oh my God!'

I woke up about four this morning making very strange noises (Coop said it sounded like I was warming up for choir, I thought I was screaming), he asked if I was OK, and I said - "We were just in an earthquake". I have NEVER had a nightmare/dream that we were in an earthquake. Very, very ironic.

Anyway, yes, I was at work training the new rep I had just hired for the Reno office. There was a sound like a freight train, my office shook, and I completely froze. My boss came running in and said "GET OUT OF THE BUILDING!". I thought - oh, is that what I'm supposed to be doing? Our church steeple got some significant damage and was on National news for that earthquake.
    Yikes Maggie - to have that dream is definitely VERY weird - Twightlight Zone-ish.

I remember that before the rocking and rolling started, I heard a loud rumble - like a tractor trailer going down the road in front of the house. I turned to look out the window because I thought that's what it was, and that's when I realized that the house was rocking back and forth. Quite an unsettling feeling....
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~