Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chloe and her dental cleaning

Chloe and her dental cleaning

Chloe is at the Vet's right now. I just got off the phone with the Vet. Chloe had several extractions due to rotted teeth, broken teeth and bad gums. She came into this problem within one year. I have her teeth checked each year and this year she didn't pass inspections, thus the scheduled cleaning.

As some of you may know, I have two Abyssinian cats and they are currently enemies. I spoke with a pet psychic and was told that one cat hates how the other one "smells" which makes sense since Chloe had rotting teeth!

I can hardly catch Chloe to check her mouth and so her mouth gets opened once a year at the vet. Both Abys are a mess to handle. They wiggle, squirm, scratch, bite, and wrangle their way out of your arms and hands. I can never pill them or groom them. As kittens they were a tad easier but as they aged, it became impossible. You can pill them once, then they know what is going to happen and they can't be caught for pill #2. They can tell when you add meds to their foods as well.

I have another cat, Lucy, a big black barn cat that makes up for the wiggles mentioned above. She is cool, calm and collected and you can do anything you want to her.

So, I will keep Chloe in her own room for a few days, until the stitches heal in her mouth and then we will see if they still fight. I may give them a little more than just a few days before exposing them to each other.

This keeping the two Abys apart has been a royal pain the neck, making sure certain doors are closed etc. They really go at it when they see each other. I hope this dental repair will repair their personalities. The vet seems to think it will. We shall see.

Thanks for listening!
    Last edited by sasvermont; 08-24-2012 at 11:20 AM.

I hope that everything will go smoothly with Chloe's dental and that she'll heal up quickly. Yes, I would definitely keep them separated for a while. You also need the vet smell to wear off of her too. Prayers and positive thoughts are being sent her way.

Oh, poor little Chloe! You know she is one of our heart kitties and you know how much I can relate to Aby behavior when you want to pill them, check them, help them!!!
    I am sure the little girl will feel much better now and I hope Juni Rose will think that Chloe smells a lot better

Poor Chloe - no wonder she was cranky, that must have been sore! Hopefully you an gradually reintroduce them, and peace will reign!
    I've Been Frosted

She seems fine now

I picked her up around 3:30. They did five extractions, three being molars and really difficult, taking 45 minutes each! Needless to say my bill was three times what they quoted me. I am broke now! She is on one medication that I will put in her food. They gave her a long acting pain shot and fluids while she was there. I will keep a close eye on her tonight and let her sleep where ever she wants to, and keeping Ms. Juni locked in her room for a couple of nights.

The vet seems to think that her mouth was really painful for her even though she gave me no indication she was in pain. The vet said that that is common with cats. He also thinks that Juni could detect the decay in Chloe's mouth and wanted to finish her off. Sounds awful, but that happens in the wild all the time. The sick get killed.

Anywho. I will let you know how the cats progress and of course, if they ever become friends again!

Fingers crossed.

Oh, by the way, she had NO tartar on her teeth. And her gums were fine, too. Go figure.

Healing prayers from RI for Chloe. She will feel lots better in a few days.

Paws crossed they both get along after that.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    Healing prayers from RI for Chloe. She will feel lots better in a few days.

Paws crossed they both get along after that.
    Thank you everyone wishing Ms. Chloe a quick recovery. She seems fine but has to stay under my watch for at least five days until the stitches dissolve on their own. Poor kitty. She must have been in so much pain.
    An update, Saturday morning:

Chloe was out of it last night. Looking at a wall all night! She did pee a lot. Didn't eat. I let her alone in her room for the night. I checked on her early this AM and she was still very quiet, so I fed her more wet food and left her alone. About five minutes ago I saw two cats go flying by and sure enough, Chloe had opened her door and gone out on to the porch where Juni is/was resting. Needless to say, they have not worked out their issues BUT there was no howling and screaming, just the chase. I put Juni in her room since I couldn't find Chloe. I will leave Chloe roam the house today. She has earned it. She does not seem hungry at all. I need to give her her meds on and with food. Hmmmmmmmmm. Any suggestions?

The vet's office just called and asked about her. I get better service from my pet's vet than my doctors! Go figure! I also gave Chloe her liquid med on some tuna juice and chopped tuna if she feels so inclined. I feel so sorry for her.

By the way, I looked at the bill from the vet a little more closely and it was an additional 45 minutes for ALL three molars NOT 45 minutes for each molar, as I had originally thought. Time is money. They charge for every little thing, thus the huge bill. Oh well. I would do and pay just about anything if my pet is in pain and discomfort. I wish I had had the cleaning done a little sooner, now that I found out she must have been uncomfortable. My vet who did the initial exam said she should have a cleaning, but didn't say it was pressing. Oh well. We live and learn.
    Last edited by sasvermont; 08-25-2012 at 06:46 PM.

Overall I think it is good news. Little Chloe breaking out of her confinement gave me a smile. And I see kitties chasing each other and wrestling all the time- I think it is play as long as there is no yelling and bloodshed, so I hope it will be like that with Chloe and Juni. Give that kid kisses from her auntie Barbara - and give one to Juni and Lucy too.

Prayers and healing energies for dear Chloe!
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

I know the few times I have had general anesthesia it took a day or so for my appetite to come back, so it's not too sup rising she's not eating much - I guess the stinkier and more enticing the food the better until her appetite kicks in again!
    I've Been Frosted

I'm glad that she's home and resting. I hope she'll continue to improve and that her appetite will get back to normal quickly too.

She seems fine

So far so good. She is eating and all of the pets are enjoying having tuna for a change. How could I give it to just one? When I get the opener out, everyone comes running!

Chloe is here, next to me right now. I am sure she is feeling icky, but she's been feeling that way for weeks, probably months, so she just exchanged one icky for another! She did eat all her food with medicine on it, so that's good. Each couple of days I need to reduce the amount of medication so I will need to stock up on the tuna if everyone is eating it!

She is giving me head bumpies right now. Awwwwwww. I hope she is feeling better.

Isn't it funny how we treat our pets like children!

I will let Chloe sleep with me tonight if she wants to. Poor baby kitty.

I'm glad to hear that she's eating well and taking all of her medicine. As far as I'm concerned, my cats are my children.

Of course: our kitties are our kids And I can see that everyone is taking advantage of the situation. The cat food improved a lot in this house after we had to feed Filou whatever he wanted if he only ate
    So Chloe baby, we hope you get better every day

She seems fine

Each day she seems to get better. Not that she was all that bad when she came home. I have been cutting back on the pain meds as instructed by the Vet. She has a few more days of the meds and then I will worry if she isn't peppier than she is now. She is not enjoying being out and about but would prefer her room, by herself. But then Juni also usually prefers her room too! It's funny how they have staked out their territory and prefer it to the general population. (sounds like prison talk, lol) Oh well. Lucy, the other kitty roams along with Prue the dog. They follow me from room to room, competing with one another for the spot nearest me!

I don't think I will ever be able to get Chloe's mouth open to see how things are going, but will keep an eye or shall I say, nose, open for any smell or nasty odor.

I will keep you posted.

Sas and her pets!