Smokey's annual vet visit is coming up, and I'm hoping to curb an issue that has been happening with Casey since he was a kitten.

In the fall of 2008, Casey decided he'd had enough of his vet visits and went berserk on his annual trip. It was so bad that my vet gave me sedatives to give him a couple hours before he comes in to help calm him down.

While that keeps him controllable, the big issue is when Smokey goes to the vet. Normally, the two are best friends, but when I bring Smokey home from the vet, Casey begins hissing, growling, and swatting at him like he's never seen him before, which I'm assuming is from the smell of the vet's office. He used to do the same thing with my first cat Chessie, which was more often since Chessie had a heart issue and had frequent trips to have echocardiograms done on him. As a result, Chessie wasn't in a good mood when he came home and didn't take Casey's attitude, and things tended to mellow out not long afterwards. With Smokey, Casey will be upset with him for the remainder of the day, and I have to keep stepping in as referee.

Does anybody have any suggestions on how to deal with this issue?