Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Neighbor's Dogs Harassing my cats

Neighbor's Dogs Harassing my cats

Wasn't quite sure where to put this, but I was needing some more expert PT advice.

I currently live in a ground (first)-floor condo with my boyfriend, my Aussie, and our two cats. Many neighbors here have dogs and walk them in the grassy areas. We do not have designated "yards" so the neighbors who live on the upper levels with dogs usually walk them around on the grassy areas on the ground level (they don't have the luxury that we do of just opening the back door and letting the dog out to potty).

Our cats L-O-V-E to sit on the windowsill and stare outside. However, there has been a repeated occurrence where one of the neighbors (unsure of who) will walk their dogs alongside the building our office window faces and the dogs will sit at the window and bark relentlessly at the cats. Espeon is not phased by it at all, however, this TERRIFIES Voltron and he runs and hides. I understand if the neighbor was just passing by the window, the dogs barked a few times, but they went on their way. But, no. At least half of the time, the neighbor will SIT there while the dogs are climbing up on the outside ledge, getting their nose inches from Espeon's face, and barks at her. And this will sometimes go on for 5-10 minutes while the neighbor just stands there with her two dogs!!!!!

The windows are usually closed while this is going on, but sometimes the windows are open about 6" (especially with this cooler weather we've been having) and they are L-O-U-D!!!!!!!!! I mean, who just lets their dogs sit there and bark into someone's open window?!?!?!?!?!?!

I'm worried that it's happening and stressing the cats out while I'm at work and can't be there to "save" them.

Is it unreasonable of me to put a sign in the window that says something along the lines of "PLEASE do not allow your dogs to bark at and harass our cats. Thank you! " or should I take a different approach?

Thank you

facebook

Yes, I would put a sign out. Perhaps make it on the computer so it's big enough and they can see it. If that doesn't work, then confront them about it.
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

How large is the condo complex? I'm wondering if you can ask someone who has lived there longer, how these things are usually handled.

It seems to me that just as a matter of respect, NO ONE walks close to the building, with folks living on those levels. Only the folks who live on that level walk right up close to the building. Do any of the folks on the ground floor have flowers they have set out in pots, or anything which sort of designates the area as "theirs?"

It might just be me but I'd go out and say something the next time they do it. Confront them while it's happening, in a nice way of course. Just explain that it upsets your cat and you'd appreciate it if they wouldn't let their dog bark at your window.
    But if you don't feel comfortable doing that then a sign could be your first option.
    I don't understand why some people are so thoughtless to others.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

The area they're walking by is a tiny walkway along the front side of the building (the layout in the front is kind of weird... I'll take a pic if I remember to next time I'm out with Jamie). They never walk next to windows on the open side of the building (the side that my bedroom/livingroom windows are on).

I mean I guess it's a popular spot for owners to bring their dogs to potty; there is an overhang so if its raining they're dry, or if its hot they're shaded, so I understand why they walk their pets there. But what I don't understand is why they think its ok to let their dogs bark into my windows at my cats.

My boyfriend doesn't want to put a sign up as he thinks it will cause unnecessary attention or trouble but I just don't know what else to do except walk outside the next time I see it happen and confront the owner. And I'm TERRIBLE at confrontations... I usually come off as being really rude and I don't mean to be...

facebook

I wouldn't bother with a sign. I would definitely go out and confront them about the issue. Walking their dogs past your window is one thing but standing there for that long knowing the dogs upset your cats is pretty rude in my book. If you can hold on to your temper fine , if you can't then they've earned your wrath by their own rude behavior.
    You could try getting a water gun and maybe have your window open wide enough to squirt the dogs in the face if possible ...lemon juice in the gun might work wonders. If the owners say anything just tell them you can't stand the noise the dogs make . Is there a landlord you could speak to about the issue?
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----

Quote Originally Posted by Asiel View Post
    I wouldn't bother with a sign. I would definitely go out and confront them about the issue. Walking their dogs past your window is one thing but standing there for that long knowing the dogs upset your cats is pretty rude in my book. If you can hold on to your temper fine , if you can't then they've earned your wrath by their own rude behavior.
    You could try getting a water gun and maybe have your window open wide enough to squirt the dogs in the face if possible ...lemon juice in the gun might work wonders. If the owners say anything just tell them you can't stand the noise the dogs make . Is there a landlord you could speak to about the issue?
    These are all privately owned condos. We rent ours from the lady who owns our specific condo. I'm sure there's some organization over all of them, but if there is the information hasn't been made aware to me.'

facebook

What if the next time it happens you just appear at the window and stare back at them with a look of "WTH" on your face? Think they'd get the picture??
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Quote Originally Posted by Taz_Zoee View Post
    What if the next time it happens you just appear at the window and stare back at them with a look of "WTH" on your face? Think they'd get the picture??
    I've actually done something like that once; dogs were barking relentlessly through the window, and I put up with it for a good while before I finally walked over, threw the blinds back, grabbed Espeon from the sill, shot a dirty look at the owner, and walked away.

And yet, it still happens...

facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Jessika View Post
    These are all privately owned condos. We rent ours from the lady who owns our specific condo. I'm sure there's some organization over all of them, but if there is the information hasn't been made aware to me.'
    If you live anywhere governed by covenants it is your responsibility to obtain a copy of those covenants. This would explain the rules/regulations as well as your methods of recourse in these situations. One of the reasons for these covenants is that there is a governing body to take responsibility in these cases. It would also explain the intended use of the area outside.

Find out what your rights are and have those responsible take care of the situation.
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!

Pino's Mom and Freedom have the right idea. I'd get a copy of the Condo Association rules. Then the next time they do it (it IS all about respecting your neighbors around you), go out and confront them and show them the rules. If they DON'T get it, then I'd file a complaint with the Association and let them put them in their place.

Do they walk their dogs on a leash or just let them run up to the window? If they're unleashed, they are being irresponsible pet owners. Get the Association involved. I think coming from them, they may take it more seriously.
    Last edited by moosmom; 08-21-2012 at 03:49 PM.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Personally, I would start with the least offensive act, that of nicely confronting them and explaining that it is stressing the cats - and you too. Walking past the window, and letting the dogs stand and bark into it, are two entirely different situations - the latter being totally rude and inconsiderate. If the dog's owner gets an attitude with you, or if the situation continues, then I'd definitely look into the condo rules. The owner that you are renting from has the responsibility to see to it that you have a copy which you can refer to and take appropriate action on anything, if and when needed.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

I would talk to her nicely. Pretend it is an acting job, and you are playing someone brave! Explain the situation to her, and ask that she just not pause there, but keep moving along! She may be unaware or what or why they are barking, or that it bothers anyone!
    I've Been Frosted

That is indeed a very odd situation. I can't imagine anyone thinking it's ok to just let their dog bark non-stop like that while they are standing right there and are perfectly capable of doing something about it. Is it always the same person?
    I know confronting them sucks but I also agree that it would be the best approach - at least at first. Maybe your boyfriend could do it? I'm no good at confrontation myself, so I'll admit it's definitely something I would pass along if I could
    Best of luck. Hope it gets solved.

We -have- tried getting a copy of the "neighborhood association" or at least information to get ahold of someone (phone number, anything) and our landlord... like, she won't. I guess she wants us to go through her every time??? But she isn't always available and will take days to get back to us at times! The neighbors here aren't very personable: they will leave notes on our front door/cars instead of just knocking on our door to talk to us like adults. So I'm still at a loss. I could try asking my landlord for the information again but I'm not sure it will get me anywhere. =/

facebook