Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Neighbor's Dogs Harassing my cats

First, I suggest you try Karen's idea (I love the acting part, Karen!) Make that point that it is disruptive to YOU (make the cats a secondary argument), that this is your home and you can't concentrate, rest, do whatever you are doing when the dog is barking. Maybe (think about this) have a suggestion ready, that they move to another area (have one to direct them to), that they have some treats with them and make this a training opportunity with their dog. Go out and talk to them the minute the dog starts, don't wait till you are steaming mad! And go out time after time after time, each and every time. Remember, this will seem a bother, it is (supposedly!) a temporary thing and you want to make it THEIR nuisance, not yours, that they cannot just sit and ignore the dog without "oh oh here she comes." Wear 'em down!

Next, how big is this complex? You must be on friendly terms with someone there! Ask them for a copy of the condo docs, rules, regulations. This is not a 'neighborhood association," this is a condo association. Use the proper terms when speaking with the folks, that will help! Ask when the next meeting is, too.

I also agree with Ellie / Pomzu, walking past is ok, standing there letting the dog bark in YOUR window is off the radar rude!

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessika View Post
    We -have- tried getting a copy of the "neighborhood association" or at least information to get ahold of someone (phone number, anything) and our landlord... like, she won't. I guess she wants us to go through her every time??? But she isn't always available and will take days to get back to us at times! The neighbors here aren't very personable: they will leave notes on our front door/cars instead of just knocking on our door to talk to us like adults. So I'm still at a loss. I could try asking my landlord for the information again but I'm not sure it will get me anywhere. =/
    It is not only your right, but it is your responsibility, to have a copy of these rules/laws, as long as you are living there. It doesn't matter that you are not the owner and only renting. If you unintentionally broke one of these rules and were called on the carpet for it, saying "I didn't know that" is no excuse, and management would be all over you like flies on dog poop! Be adamant, and insist that your landlord provide you with a copy for your own protection.

I'm so glad I have my own home in the country and no one can tell me where or if I can plant a tree, or if I can put up a fence and what kind, or get a fine because my grass is 1/16" too long, etc, etc, etc. Of course even out here I can't have my place looking like the county landfill or a vehicle salvage yard, and there are county regulations here too, but nothing even close to what people have to abide by when living in condos or developments! UGH!!! - no thanks............
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

I would be surprised if this situation is addressed in your HOA documents.

What about getting one of those no bark thingies? I don't know if they work or not...but it is worth a try.

I am, once again, eternally grateful that I have the most awesome neighbors! While I don't live in a condo/apartment type situation, I might as well. We are on city lots and VERY close to one another. If I had a problem..it would have been addressed long ago. Direct, and polite is where you should begin.

Quote Originally Posted by Cataholic View Post
    I would be surprised if this situation is addressed in your HOA documents.

LOL - I'm certain that you are correct, but............

There must be some rules/regulations/guidelines, regarding pets, and/or something regarding the right of privacy/space of other tenants. No one should have to tolerate someone else's dogs with their feet up on the window ledge and peering/barking into windows - other than the dogs own. Technically, this is an invasion of privacy - and privacy to which we are all entitled, and it doesn't matter if it's a person or their domesticated pet that it is committing this offense. IMO it is totally unacceptable.

Jo - you sure are a lot more open minded on this than I am. Why should Jessika have to provide the means to try to put a stop to it (the no bark thingy), when she is in no way responsible for the situation? Let the dog owner step up and assume responsibility!
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

Pom- I like to get along. I would try the polite approach. But, I must admit, I have a very hard time understanding why someone would just let their dog bark and approach a cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Cataholic View Post
    Pom- I like to get along. I would try the polite approach. But, I must admit, I have a very hard time understanding why someone would just let their dog bark and approach a cat.
    Agreed 100% - I said to start with a polite approach too.

But seriously - don't you agree that she needs a copy of the condo rules, and not just for this dog related issue either. If she is living there, then she should know the do's and don'ts, just as other tenants do. She could easily be in violation of "something", "sometime" - and never realize what she is doing or did, is not allowable per the regulations that have been set forth. And if she has less than friendly neighbors, they could report her for "whatever", and like I said earlier, that her saying "I didn't know that", just isn't going to cut it. Ignorance is not bliss..............
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

Yes, she definitely should, Ellie!

One of my friends live in a small condo complex, just 4 units. One is rented out. The other 3 FINALLY Figured out the renters had never been given a copy of the Rules; once shared, life was MUCH easier for all.

People never cease to amaze me

I wonder why some people think they are the only ones on the planet? I have a couple of neighbors like that and it is so frustrating. I, too, find it hard to be polite to such idiots. I wish I could act it out sometimes, but my rage gets the best of me and I look like a fool. I usually do nothing and just wait for them to move or I just try to not let it bother me. In the scheme of things, most of the problems I have i.e cigarette butts on my lawn and drive, trash blowing all over the place, tents put up on my property line and left there for weeks on end, trash cans left at the street side for days on end, I could go on. Every now and then we get good neighbors but from time to time we have just the opposite.

I wish you luck in resolving the problem. Maybe just yelling out the window = excuse me, but would you be so kind as to keep your dog(s) from barking at my cat(s) in the window! My guess is that if they are that ignorant, they will just give you the finger and you will have gotten no where fast. Just a guess.

People can be so frustrating to deal with. I feel your pain.

People can be so frustrating to deal with.
    That's why I'd prefer dealing with animals rather than people. There is NO excuse for stupid.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

So a quick update.

I have done nothing... and in the past month have not had this happen (at least, not while I've been home). We have had the windows open every day since my last post since the weather has been BEAUTIFUL so I'd surely know if they were doing it. I'm either hoping the neighbor found a new place to walk her dogs, moved (we did have a vacancy recently and had new neighbors move in), or finally "got it".

Now the problem I'm having is, since it's so nice out and people are leaving their windows open, some neighbors have dogs that like to bark at the sound of a fly's fart... all day... and at all hours of the night... that isn't nearly as disrupting as the dogs that were barking in the window at my cats, however, so I'll take it.

facebook

Fly farts! THAT'S what Zoee barks at all the time!!! Mystery solved! LOL
    Yes, barking dogs is annoying. That's why when Zoee was home with us and I was home I would never let her bark too long outside without going out to get her or tell her to quiet down. Now when we aren't home, we can't stop her. Luckily none of our neighbors have complained.

I'm glad the other issue has stopped at least. Earplugs are always an option for the barking dogs. At least to sleep at night.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

And it's almost October, so cooler temperatures will probably mean fewer open windows, so it should be quieter as the seasons change!
    I've Been Frosted