Thread: What to get?

What to get?

I am wracking my brain for a gift idea!

My youngest is having her first baby. The shower is in a couple weeks. I spent all last week making the invitations by hand. She asked for 60 invitations.... SIXTY!!!! The entire world is going to be there. I told her part of my gift is the hand made invites and she told me she wants something "special and cute" for the baby from us. She already knows about the zillion little baby outfits I've picked up on sale because my husband coldn't wait to tell her about them

I want to give her something homemade, and because I think thats what she's expecting. She's my kid who appreciate and loves my homemade things. I had thought a bookcase with a handpainted mural in the background to match the room, or maybe a toybox. And then as he grows, I'll repaint a new mural to match his changing tastes.

Today, I went out to FIND this bookcase or toy box. Instead, I bought a cool round storage ottoman that I was going to fill with clothes and toys and give to her for the livingroom. Now i'm thinking of saving that for the house wartming gift because its not especially baby-ish. And definitely not cute. Its functional -- I know that a baby has a clutter of toys and wipes, and diapers, and pacifier, and... stuff! This is an easy place to stash a lot of it out of sight but within reach.

I also considered making a crocheted blanket using the bedroom theme. I have time if I start now. But to make only a cute itty bitty blanket? Or add the blanket to inside the ottoman.

I'm so lost! I want to show up with a special-something, especially since so many people will be there. They always expect an awesome gift from the parents.

With 60 people (actually 60 invites were handed out, they're expecting over 100 people!) she will get everything she's asked for on the registry. A lot of things are gone already, nearly a month before the party. Its awesome to know she'll not want or need for anything, but I'm fretting over the right gift.

A baby blanket crocheted by you would be the best thing, as it is something she and the baby can use right away, and that the baby can have for the rest of his life! So if you make it kind of larger, so he can still have it on his bed when he's older, that might be very special to them both. Of course make it out of something easily washable! And you can then put a hand-decorated picture frame wrapped inside the blanket, for her to put a photo in, and maybe Cam can even help glue something on, and make a temporary picture to put inside it, too!
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    A baby blanket crocheted by you would be the best thing, as it is something she and the baby can use right away, and that the baby can have for the rest of his life! So if you make it kind of larger, so he can still have it on his bed when he's older, that might be very special to them both. Of course make it out of something easily washable! And you can then put a hand-decorated picture frame wrapped inside the blanket, for her to put a photo in, and maybe Cam can even help glue something on, and make a temporary picture to put inside it, too!
    I agree with this!
    We've seen some of the other blankets you've made over the years and you do amazing work!

I will miss you forever, my sweet Scooter Bug. You were my best friend. 9/21/1995 - 1/23/2010
    Goodbye, Oreo. Gone too soon. 4/2003 - 9/12/2011.
    Farewell & Godspeed, sweet Jadie Francine. You took a piece of my heart with you. 11/2002 - 8/8/2016
    Charlie kitty, aka: Mr. Meowy. Our home is far too silent now. 2003-6/14/2018

I too think the blanket would be awesome. I also love the idea of putting it inside the ottoman. Why? Fact is she is expecting something special from you. When she sees the ottoman it will not be what she expected. But once she opens it to see the blanket is will be an over the moon moment. I think she will be ecstatic.

My rainbow bridge babies have forever left their paw prints on my heart.
    Lilith & Vixen, taken too soon. I love you always.

Signatures, avatars & blinkies if anyone wants one pm me with color,
    font and background preference and with pics and names of pets.

Lilith's Catster Page Vixen's Catster Page

Vote for my furry ones on the cat & dog channels
    Vixen, Bella, Vega, Frost, Phoenix & Artica

I didn't think the blanket was that awersome, but it seems to be a good thought! I have a slight issue with the blanket though: I noticed the style bedding she chose is on backorder til Dec or Jan. The entire nursery is themed off this bedding set. I called and told her..... so now she has to find a brick and mortar store with it or reselect another style. I can't start crocheting until I know what is going on with the blanket. Good thing is as long as she gives me at least a week, I can still make it. I would be a crocheting mad woman for that week, but it would get done!

Any more ideas just in case she drags her feet too much in the next couple weeks?

As Karen stated if you make the blanket larger he can use it longer. So you wouldn't necessarily need to make it match the bedding set, would you? Just use "boyish" colors. But that's just my opinion.
    I have a feeling no matter what you do your daughter is going to LOVE it!
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

If you want, you could start the blanket in soft colors, and then maybe add a border that matches her chosen decor!
    I've Been Frosted

I have the baby blanket my gran knitted for me and I still use it as a shawl to this day! It's very traditional. Beige alternating checks. I love the softness of it. Stick with a classic and it will be treasured forever!

Since babies arent too sleep blankets or the like for a long time after the birth, why not just get her a gift certificate that explains the blanket is in progress? Shoot..first babies and all, lots of people change their minds about themes. And, "nursery" themes are so limiting in terms of age. Make her a blanket the child can use for years and years, not the one for the infant stage.

With over 100 people, she might have some other gifts to focus on initially, lol.

Another thing that is a little different is to buy a nice garbage can for the nursery and fill it with all the pharmacy related stuff she will need. You can include gripe water, liquid tylenol/ibuprofen (your choice), a thermometer, etc.

I have done that before and the mom's always find it useful.

My Grandmother crocheted a baby blanket for me; and 8 years later my brother used it! It was open work, so we babies and toddlers could stick out finger right through. My brother was like Linus in Charlie Brown, dragging that thing everywhere with him! And for both of us (I heard from stories), mom had to rush it through the wash during nap times or overnight, because we'd scream if we didn't have it.

Eight years back, a local friend was expecting her first baby, and I made her one similar to what I remembered. She now has 3 children, ALL of them have used it and been attached to it, and she often says having the spaces for fingers and thumbs to go through is a big hit with the little one.

Now I am curious, what is this theme that is sold out? Ha haaa

My cousin made a blanket for her daughter's baby. I don't exactly remember what she called it, a raggy blankie or something to that effect but she collected pieces of flannel from just about every relative and friend. She wanted a piece of flannel from one of my mom's blankets that was no longer used because my mom was her godmother. She got a piece from me because we're almost like sisters...so on.. etc. Each square she cut she pulled threads from all around so it would be ragged looking...I have to say I really had my doubts about that blanket. After all the pieces were sewn together she put a yellow flannel back to it.
    When that blanket was finished it was awesome... to my surprise. It was such a hit that everyone asked her to make them one when their turn came along. To this day she's made one for each of her children and for just about everyone else in the family when they were expecting their first child. Those blankets are stored for future generations.
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post

Now I am curious, what is this theme that is sold out? Ha haaa
    Here is the link to the set she wants but is sold out everywhere on the internet. Nobody has it and I have been to so many stores looking for it.... I fear she's going to have to reselect. http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...uctId=12437691

I decided rather than waiting for the reselection process to use the pattern on the stroller, pac-and-play, highchair, etc. It elephants and will be nice for as he gets old. I already started crocheting last night and have 24 rows done. Looooong rows Its going to be the biggest baby blanket I ever saw. Anyway, this is the pattern for that, and I'll embroider the elephant on its edge too (and maybe his name) http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...uctId=12618899

Can you guess who picked which pattern? Mom picked the bedding, dad picked the rest. Mom doesn't care about the stroller pattern - she is absolutely in love with the turtle them. I feel bad she can't get it. She can, but not until after the little guy gets here and she wants it before.