Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Luke has FIP & liver failure

My Luke has FIP & liver failure

Fri Aug 10 2012
    Hello Everyone,
    I am sorry to report that my 11 yr old Luke cat has FIP and liver failure and is not eating. (I was shocked when the vet told me) I've been wondering why he looked as if he was gaining weight (bloated) yet he was not eating much at all. I took him to the vet on Wed Aug 8 and he did various tests and xrays and gave me his opinion and some meds. Yes, I trust his diagnosis.

The bottom line is that my Luke is very sick and has eaten very little for 5 days, is lethargic and sleeps mostly. He looks as if he has swallowed a basketball. I've been giving him med for fluids (and some other meds) but they dont help very much. He has gotten down a tiny amount of chicken broth today. All he does is sleep. I will not put him through a long term of discomfort. I know what needs to be done and I'm working up to it. It's just so hard as many or most of you know. Just wanted you to know.... Kay in NC

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Oh no Kay - not beautiful Luke. I'm so sorry to hear this. It's like a kick in the gut and having your heart ripped out at the same time, when the news is so sudden and you weren't ever expecting it. My heart goes out to you. Just love him and keep him comfortable for as long as you can. {{{Hugs}}}
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Oh, no. Not your beautiful Luke. I am praying for a miracle, of course. They say our furbabies let us know when it is time.

Give Luke some kisses on his forehead for me and some cuddles. I hope he has a bit more comfortable time with you before he has to go.

I am so sorry, Kay.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

I am so sorry...so young...

Oh Kay I am shocked to hear this!!! Poor you, poor Luke!

Yes, with FIP, you know what you need to do, I am so very sorry, Kay.

You and Luke will be in our prayers.
    I've Been Frosted

I'm very sorry to hear this about Luke.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

I am so sorry to read this about your beloved Luke.

God bless you both and be with you.

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Blog Entries
    So sorry to hear about beautiful Luke, so very sad to hear. A lot of hearts are with you, peace and love

Very sad to hear this bad news. Thoughts and prayers with you.

Oh no, oh no ... Precious Luke kitty ... I am so sorry to learn this very sad news. ((((HUGS)))) I'm praying for a miracle too.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Kay, I'm so sorry to hear this. Having to make the decision to say your final goodbye is so difficult. You and Luke remain in my thoughts and prayers. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

Kay, I didn't sleep well all night, kept thinking of Luke and you.

Wasn't he at the groomer's recently? If he was there in, oh I guess the past month, I suggest you phone them and let them know. To my knowledge, FIP does not lay dormant for 11 years, he had to pick this up recently.

I'm so sorry to hear about Luke's condition - poor boy. I hope somehow the medicine will help make him feel better and you can be together for a while longer. He's so beautiful. Give him lots of loving, and some kisses from me, too.

Sending lots of positive thoughts, and hugs to you.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Sat, Aug 11 2012
    Hello, Thanks everyone for your support and comments. They mean alot and help me to deal with this ordeal. Yes, I've always thought he was very beautiful! I know you all understand what I'm going through. I've told some people in person and because they arent pet people, I dont think they understand how much we love our pets and how hard this is. I've just about made my decision to have it done this Monday; it seems unreal.

I know very little about FIP. Freedom, he went to groomers on June 29; I'll tell them. Maybe I misunderstood some of what vet said as I was in shock but I know he said FIP, fluid in stomach, kidneys, liver problem and tests and xrays he did and that he was a very sick cat and could not recover. I talked to vet yesterday on phone and updated him on Luke's condition and he mentioned tube feeding and I immediately said "No" to that idea. I told him I would probably bring him in on Monday. I'll let him go. I'm crying now just thinking about it. I've got to get up and get my mind off this awhile. Thanks for your support... Kay in NC