Thread: RIP Schuyler

Hybrid View

RIP Schuyler

My cousin's in-law's cat Schuyler went to live with my friend Nancy, when she couldn't be cared for properly any longer. Jack's mother-in-law went into a nursing home. Nancy offered to take her since she didn't get along with other cats (supposedly).

She was adopted out to a family who decided after a year, to return her. She had lost a TON of weight while there. The past 3 years she's been with Nancy and her foster cats. She enjoyed life there after a very rocky start (pooping on her bed, etc.) going out to the enclosure to soak up the rays and fresh air (she was declawed early on in her life).

Schuyler often would stay out in the enclosure overnight. I wasn't crazy about it but who was I to dictate to Nancy, since she adopted her. This morning Nancy was taking a head count and realized that Schuyler was still outside. She went out into the enclosure and found her dead, with her front leg gnawed down to the bone.

I'm trying to wrap my head around this. There is a small "hole" under the fence that Nancy said was only small enough to allow something of chipmunk size to get under. Something MUST have gotten into the enclosure and tried to drag her out by her leg, the same way it came in. A fisher cat??? Other predators????

The only thing I can think of is she died trying to defend herself (without claws). Possibly a heart attack.

RIP sweet girl. I tried to do right by you. I only hope that your death was quick and painless, although I highly doubt it.

Am I angry? You bet. Play hard at the Bridge beautiful baby. I will miss pulling into the driveway and hearing your vocalism and your beautiful, soft black coat.

My heart again is broken.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Oh, I am so very sorry to read this. This is heartbreaking. Donna, my deepest sympathy to you. I wish I could reach across the ether and give you some big hugs right now.

Rest in peace, dearest Schuyler.. whole and healthy again at the Bridge, all hard times behind you. Eternal love and peace and happiness are yours now, with many RB friends with you now and others to welcome home.. One Fine Day.

Pat and cats
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

We are ordering a necropsy to see how she died. Hopefully it'll shed some light on the big question...WHY???

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

Rest peacefully, dear Schuyler. If there is any comfort to come out of this, I hope the necropsy shows she had already passed from a heart attack, and did not know she was being attacked.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

It turns out, she MIGHT have had a condition known as necrotizing fasciitis. She wasn't found in the enclosure. She made her way inside where Nancy found her dead with an open wound down to the bone. I saw the pictures and have never seen anything like it. They are way too gruesome to post, but take my word for it.

Necrotizing fasciitis is a flesh eating disease that moves quickly throughout the body. Here's what we found:

Necrotizing fasciitis (flesh-eating disease) facts:

Necrotizing fasciitis refers to a rapidly spreading infection, usually located in fascial planes of connective tissue that results in tissue death (necrosis).

Different types of bacterial infection can cause necrotizing fasciitis.
    The majority of cases begin with an existing infection, most frequently on an extremity or in a wound.
    Necrotizing fasciitis is a serious condition that is often associated with sepsis and widespread organ failure.
    Treatment of an infection caused by flesh-eating bacteria involves antibiotics and surgical debridement of the wound areas as well as supportive measures such as insertion of a breathing tube, intravenous administration of fluids, and drugs to support the cardiovascular system.

What is necrotizing fasciitis?

Necrotizing fasciitis is a term that describes a disease condition of rapidly spreading infection, usually located in fascial planes of connective tissue that results in tissue necrosis (dead and damaged tissue). Fascial planes are bands of connective tissue that surround muscles, nerves, and blood vessels. Fascial planes can bind structures together as well as allow body structures to slide over each other effectively. The disease occurs infrequently, but it can occur in almost any area of the body. Although many cases have been caused by group A beta-hemolytic streptococci (Streptococcus pyogenes), most investigators now agree that many different bacterial genera and species, either alone or together (polymicrobial), can cause this disease. Occasionally, mycotic (fungal) species cause necrotizing fasciitis.
    Historically, several people first described this condition in the 1840s to 1870s, and Dr. B. Wilson first termed the condition necrotizing fasciitis in 1952. It is likely that the disease had been occurring for many centuries before it was first described in the 1800s. Currently, there are many names that have been used loosely to mean the same disease as necrotizing fasciitis: flesh-eating bacterial infection or flesh-eating disease; suppurative fasciitis; dermal, Meleney, hospital, or Fournier's gangrene; and necrotizing cellulitis. Body regions frequently have the term necrotizing placed before them to describe the initial localization of necrotizing fasciitis (for example, necrotizing colitis, necrotizing arteriolitis), but they all refer to the same disease process in the tissue. Important in understanding necrotizing fasciitis is the fact that whatever the infecting organism(s), once it reaches and grows in connective tissue, the spread of the infection can be so fast (investigators suggest some organisms can progress to involve about 3 centimeters of tissue per hour) that the infection becomes difficult to stop even with both antimicrobial drugs and surgery.

Mortality (death) rates have been reported as high as 75% for necrotizing fasciitis associated with Fournier's (testicular) gangrene. Patients with necrotizing fasciitis have an ongoing medical emergency that often leads to death or disability if it is not promptly and effectively treated.
    Last edited by moosmom; 08-12-2012 at 03:17 PM.

Oh, my God...
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery