Thread: Weird dog behavior - Riley

Weird dog behavior - Riley

Riley has this weird funny habit that is making the cats here crazy! She loves to sit and lick them - head, ears, neck, chest, front legs, over and over till kitty is SOAKED! Bobby is the only one who has stayed long enough to get really wet, but all of them have had quite a licking he heee.

Any thoughts WHY she does this?

I haven't use any topical insecticides on the cats for a few years, so at least I don't have to worry she will get herself sick. Bobby - and all the cats -- finally get sick of the licking and leave -- to groom themselves, ha haaa.

I have no idea why she does this. But Zoee used to do it to Paizly too. And, surprisingly, Paizly would just sit there and let her. But the girls have always gotten along so well.
    I guess she just thinks they are dirty kitties and she needs to get them clean. Or it's some motherly instinct??
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Quote Originally Posted by Taz_Zoee View Post
    she needs to get them clean. Or it's some motherly instinct??
    And I thought: "Oooh this puppies are so dirty I can't even tell they are doggies, I best clean them up!"

Riley thinks she is a cat! Too cute.

Grace, YES even to the dog having the front leg over the cat's back, that is exactly what Riley does! LOL

Thanks for this, guess I'll just let them be. Most of the cats here are NOT appreciative, though, they stalk off ha haa.

At least the cats are well-equipped and can walk away when they get too bothered!
    I've Been Frosted

Lady used to groom Pippen constantly....until he'd get irritated enough to walk away, which for a cat who was that laid back is saying something.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Kirby is the official face and ear washer to any of the others that will stand still long enough. When he does it to Molly the yorkie and by the time he gets done her face is soaked and her face hair is all wonky - she looks so silly.

Haven't had that experience myself but it sounds adorable.

I'd love to see some photos of it, or even a video, I bet they look really cute.

Edit; Actually after watching that video that was posted I realised that Taggart did use to do something similar to Leo. It wasn't so much kissing though but more "bopping" the head and trying to sniff the ears. Maybe there is something about the smell of cat ears that some dogs just really really like ?

Quote Originally Posted by Varga View Post
    Maybe there is something about the smell of cat ears that some dogs just really really like ?
    LOL and maybe the rest of the dogs WOULD like it if they ever bothered to get close enough! Ha ha haaaa

My kitty Missy grooms Jake, my dog.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatepuppy View Post
    My kitty Missy grooms Jake, my dog.
    Oh that sounds cute! Try and get a vid to share with all of us!

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    Oh that sounds cute! Try and get a vid to share with all of us!
    I can try! I keep telling Missy those will be some mean hairballs from Jake's fur! I have seen him groom her a bit also. Jake also cleans Laylas ears. Do any of your dogs do that?
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Just Riley, which is why I found it so weird, lol. Ears, head, chest, back to the ears. Keeps it up till the cat gets sick of it.