Thread: Ukrainian, anyone?

Ukrainian, anyone?

Anyone know someone who speaks Ukrainian? I got a lovely nomination for a pet from Ukraine, but need to respond to it. I tried responding in English and never heard back, so I figured if anyone knows someone who could translate my email for them, and then possibly their response if they respond, that would be great!

I would not want to rely on online translation tools, as often the words are technically correct, but the meaning gets garbled.
    I've Been Frosted

We found out about 5 years ago that we're Ukrainian on my dad's side. He doesn't know a lot about my grandfather's life before he came to the U.S. or exatly where in Russia he lived. We always thought he was from "white Russia". The Ukrainian National Museum is located in Chicago, Karen - someone there might be able to translate it for you. (e-mail: info(at)ukrainiannationalmuseum.org)
    Last edited by cassiesmom; 08-05-2012 at 11:49 PM.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    Bobcat's first language is Ukranian but he hasn't spoken it since he was a child.
    But, I will ask his older Canadian cousins to see if any of them can still read it. I'll PM you later.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

Quote Originally Posted by kuhio98 View Post
    Bobcat's first language is Ukranian but he hasn't spoken it since he was a child.
    But, I will ask his older Canadian cousins to see if any of them can still read it. I'll PM you later.
    That would be great, thanks!
    I've Been Frosted

I used to work with Ukrainian speakers; I'm sure there are some at my current job. I'll hunt around.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

That would be great, thanks! I know plenty of Russians, a Hungarian cashier, and many other immigrants, but no Ukrainian!
    I've Been Frosted

Karen, did you try using Google Translate? My friend is a first grade teacher and loves it helps her deal with parents.

I know a few people from Russia, but not from the Ukraine. Actually I thought they'd be speaking Russian in the Ukraine as well - after all, they were all part of the former Soviet Republic - but I guess I'm wrong and they do have their own language but according to wikipedia, it's not so different from Russian.

Sandie - Google translate and online translators are not always as accurate as one would wish, as they work word for word, but sometimes lose the meaning in a sentence. To see what I mean, type in a sentence in English, have it translate to some other language, and translate it back to English and you'll see what I mean! Language is tricky! Thankfully the person wrote back to me in English, and apologized for the delay in her response, so we are all set anyway!
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Anyone know someone who speaks Ukrainian? I got a lovely nomination for a pet from Ukraine, but need to respond to it. I tried responding in English and never heard back, so I figured if anyone knows someone who could translate my email for them, and then possibly their response if they respond, that would be great!

I would not want to rely on online translation tools, as often the words are technically correct, but the meaning gets garbled.
    Yeah, I know. I have a friend in Germany that posts in what I guess is vernacular German on her FB page. I tried translating it once and got part of it, but it was not a good translation. I finally wrote her and asked her to translate. The computer translation missed a lot of the nuances.

Here's an old computer joke/story from the days when there were no monitors and the computer printed out the response. A computer was loaded with a Chinese/English translation program. To test the translation abilities, an idiomatic phrase was used: "Out of Sight, Out of Mind." The computer gave the Chinese translation. The Chinese translation was then entered back intp the computer and it spit out the reverse translation: "Invisible Idiot."

Enjoy!
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

Karen, is today's Cat of the Day the one you received in Ukrainian? What a gorgeous cat!
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Quote Originally Posted by mrspunkysmom View Post

Here's an old computer joke/story from the days when there were no monitors and the computer printed out the response. A computer was loaded with a Chinese/English translation program. To test the translation abilities, an idiomatic phrase was used: "Out of Sight, Out of Mind." The computer gave the Chinese translation. The Chinese translation was then entered back intp the computer and it spit out the reverse translation: "Invisible Idiot."

Enjoy!

That's very funny.LOL
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt