Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to move on to another job?

Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent your way. Good luck.

Everything including eyes crossed here that you get the job!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

I really hope this is what you've been looking for

You guys ROCK, thank you so far!! No news yet though! But, it is the holiday week here...

facebook

Had a working interview Thursday. It went really well I think (I actually hit the vein this time when they asked me to do a blood draw). Everyone seems so nice. It sounded promising when I left; she said she would take care of some things this weekend, give my references a call, and I should be hearing from her some time this next week.

The only part I'm worried about is a) they do film radiographs and I haven't developed film except one time in school; and b) How do I tell my current boss???? She won't take the news well and will claim I'm not doing well with communicating with her etc etc etc, why haven't I brought up any of these concerns before (which, truly, the main concern is pay). I won't accept the job offer right away, will ask for a day or two to think about it, tell my current boss and give her an opportunity to match their pay. If not, I will give her my two weeks and accept the job with the other clinic. Does this seem appropriate?

facebook

That seems perfectly acceptable, and hopefully you will be able to get the better job, and better pay.

You can easily explain it has been a while since you have done a radiograph, would they go over how they do it at their practice, and I am sure they'd be happy to teach you. Every place tends to have its own procedures anyway ...
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Jessika View Post
    and b) How do I tell my current boss???? She won't take the news well and will claim I'm not doing well with communicating with her etc etc etc, why haven't I brought up any of these concerns before (which, truly, the main concern is pay). I won't accept the job offer right away, will ask for a day or two to think about it, tell my current boss and give her an opportunity to match their pay. If not, I will give her my two weeks and accept the job with the other clinic. Does this seem appropriate?
    No. It doesn't seem appropriate. I thought your 'issue' was about more than $$? I thought it was about $$, the distance, the fact you aren't appreciated/respected, and there is no growth for you there??? Why make it just about $$? If she wanted to increase your pay, she would have already done so, not under threat of you walking out the door, right?

I would - if the terms are right- accept the new job, and give two weeks notice. "How to move on to another job" was the title of this thread. She isn't your mother, your friend- she is your employer. You owe her what she owes you- courtesy and respect. Move on, already.

I've got to agree with Cataholic on this.

I'm not actively looking for another job, but if something came up that paid more and was closer to home AND I liked the people (my job wouldn't have a working interview) I would take it! And I've been at my current job over 9 years. I am appreciated and respected at my job. It would be VERY difficult to leave, but I most certainly would do it!
    Honestly, you don't owe that place anything, except a two week notice. Do what is right for YOU, not for them.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Quote Originally Posted by Cataholic View Post
    No. It doesn't seem appropriate. I thought your 'issue' was about more than $$? I thought it was about $$, the distance, the fact you aren't appreciated/respected, and there is no growth for you there??? Why make it just about $$? If she wanted to increase your pay, she would have already done so, not under threat of you walking out the door, right?

I would - if the terms are right- accept the new job, and give two weeks notice. "How to move on to another job" was the title of this thread. She isn't your mother, your friend- she is your employer. You owe her what she owes you- courtesy and respect. Move on, already.
    I have to agree with what was said here too. You owe your current employer NOTHING more than what she is paying you for, and you need to quit making excuses in favor of NOT leaving. If you are not being allowed to work at your full potential where you are, why would you even consider staying if you were offered more money, but nothing more?? Money is a short-term motivator, and even with a raise, you would still be in the same rut 6 months from now, as you are now. It seems you are stagnating and procrastinating as well, and need a change.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Well you're all right, of course. I guess my issue with leaving is leaving all my co-workers. MOST of them (definitely not all of them) are great, hard-working people, and my leaving would leave a decent-sized hole that they'd need to fill. My boss won't necessarily even be directly affected by it. We're already having issues now because (without getting into too much detail) another tech is having to miss A LOT of work (I'm talking calling in on Monday for the entire week) for medical reasons, and while her reliability is next to zero lately and we can cover her absence with current staff, that leaves NO wiggle room for any of us to be absent. So........... I'm not trying to make excuses... it's just hard leaving people I consider friends in the situation I know that it will leave them in. Hell, we lost 1 receptionist and 2 phone operators OVER A YEAR AGO and she only hired ONE replacement for 3 people... she is JUST NOW interviewing for a phone op position! It took her this long to realize how bad we were hurting I guess because us techs would have to fill in to help answer phones, as if we don't have enough to do already!

I guess I just feel guilty leaving my friends behind in a similar situation (considering the other tech that is not reliable lately).

I did get word that they called my references today... I think you're right; I'll accept the job. I already know what I want/need to do. And I already know what she will do (not pay me the difference for sure). So who am I fooling?

Here's another question, though: So I give my 2 weeks. Say my boss asks me which clinic I'm going to? My gut tells me not to tell her only because I KNOW she will call them and talk to the hiring person. I'm pretty sure this is illegal, but there's a ton of stuff that goes on that she does that is illegal (like not pay us for our overtime!!) so I wouldn't put it past her to do so.

facebook

If she asks, just tell her, "I'd rather not say," and leave it at that. It's none of her business.

As for your friends there - you can still keep in touch with them, and I am betting they will be happy for you.
    I've Been Frosted

Yeah, what Karen said. You are not obligated to tell her where you are going. Just make sure your friends there won't let it slip. I know what you are talking about with that though. My sister was trying to get a job and word spread about her so places wouldn't hire her because of what they heard.

And if they are really your friends they would understand and be happy for you. Maybe it will even make some of them rethink things if that place is as bad as it sounds.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Well guess who just got a call with a job offer?!?!

And they're offering me on the high end of what I asked for in salary!!!!!!!!

I anticipate starting around/right after Christmas.

Now, to give my boss the news...

But............. regardless, MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ME!!! So proud here!!!!

facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Jessika View Post
    Well guess who just got a call with a job offer?!?!

And they're offering me on the high end of what I asked for in salary!!!!!!!!

I anticipate starting around/right after Christmas.

Now, to give my boss the news...

But............. regardless, MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ME!!! So proud here!!!!
    Excellent!
    I've Been Frosted

WOOHOO!

As for giving notice, you are being pro-Jessika, not anti-anyone-else!

This is great for you!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda