Thread: Etiquette question for Pet people?

Etiquette question for Pet people?

Just was thinking, when I encounter someone walking a dog, I tend to inquire about the dog (name, receptiveness to attention, etc) before introducing myself to the human.

I do try to make sure I introduce myself before the end of the conversation, and give my name to the human, how about you? I know in my old neighborhood, more people knew me as "the lady with the bunny" than knew my given name, but I was okay with that!
    I've Been Frosted

Yeah if I came over to the people because they had a pet I pretty much just came to see the pet. I ask questions about the pet that's about it I don't think I'd introduce myself unless there was a reason to or I was talking to them other than because I wanted to see their pet. I'm not a very sociable person with people in general....luckily I work at a pet store so I do talk to customers because I am talking to them about a pet.

Blog Entries
    You simply have to stop the behavior darling. No matter how much it goes against the grain.

Blog Entries
    That's the truth. If you want somene to lie to you, I'm pretty sure that there are many peeps who will.

No one every seems to mind, I am a very friendly person usually anyway, just noticed that pattern about my behavior!
    I've Been Frosted

No, very very rare to exchange human names. "It's all about the dogs!"

I've walked away from many conversations with pet owners only to realize I know all about the pet and nothing about the owner. And they didn't ask nor did I offer my name.....yikes.

I have noticed that not only do I do this with other pet owners........ they also do it with me! I have been approached on MANY occasions when out on a walk with Jamie and had a friendly conversation with the person, where that person inquired about her and never introduced themselves, asked my name, etc. The thought never occurred to me that this was odd behavior until now! So being on the receiving end of it, no, it doesn't bother me. Frankly I am flattered when people come up and ask me about my dog as I love to talk about her, even if they don't introduce themselves or tell me anything about themselves.

There have been a few occasions though where I would run into another owner walking their dog and we'd have a conversation and they'd bring up behavioral issues, then sometimes I introduce myself as a vet tech and offer advice to help them. But really... other than that, it's all about the dogs!!!

facebook

I am an anti-social person as it is, and I know that's pretty bad, but I tend to like when people talk to me about my pet or their pet rather than just a friendly conversation. I feel as if I tend to have more confidence with Mikey than I do by myself, but I don't generally associate with strangers unless I MUST or if just to say a friendly hello. When hiking at the local park, I tend to come across a lot of very nice people, so I am very friendly and often ask them how they are. Around the neighborhood, odd enough, I tend to be afraid to start conversations.