Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to move on to another job?

How to move on to another job?

I feel it is time for me to explore other job options in my area. I am currently working at a clinic 25 miles away (~30 minute commute one-way) for the past ~2 1/2 years with a doctor that doesn't fully utilize her technicians. I am one of two RVTs at my clinic, along with 6 other techs (2 are finishing with school) and the unregistered techs are given the same responsibilities as the RVTs are. I recently became state licensed and with it received a very menial raise (granted, a raise, but I was expecting a larger one given my accomplishment and what I know I can bring to the clinic), a raise that was combined with my yearly raise. I just feel like there is no room for me to grow here and I don't feel I am as respected as I should be. She keeps telling me how much I have improved over the past months/years, but won't allow me to perform simple tasks such as obtaining an ear cytology.

I do not want to leave on bad terms, but I am almost afraid to leave this clinic because I know she will make me feel bad or give me a guilt trip about it (as she has done to techs who have left in the past). But I am spending so much money on gas for a paycheck that barely even pays the bills and cover student loans, I don't get sick days, no benefits, and heaven forbid I attempt to call in sick. And I have brought up some of these issues with her before.

My question is - should I submit my resume to other clinics that I know are hiring? Will the potential future employer contact my current employer if I don't list them as a reference? I don't want to go behind her back, but I am afraid if I mention that I am seeking employment elsewhere, she will give me a guilt trip, not give me a good reference (because she wants to keep me), or worst-case, let me go. Just in general, how should I go about doing this? I know there are clinics hiring in my area that are MUCH closer to me but I am afraid to drop off a resume for fear they will call my current boss.

facebook

wow, your bos sounds like Kevin Spacey's character in Horrible bosses movie. I say you talk to your boss about the gas, etc, ask for a raise to cover the expenses, if she doesn't care, quit the job, she/he doesn't own you. If you apply at one place and you get rejected becoz of your old boss said then apply on another place without reference! You might start with the same or a bit low salary, but if it's near where u live + better boss + better carrier prospect, it's worth the sacrifice!

Go say Hi to my dog, Corel, here: http://emmil.deviantart.com/gallery/#Dog-photos
    and my 5 lovebirds, Papao, Pippin, Pence, Pico and Pipo, here: http://emmil.deviantart.com/gallery/31807626
    You know you'll love them!

You can submit your resume to other places, and just tell them that your current boss is not aware you are looking. Do not mention any "issues" with her, just explain that the commute is too expensive, and you are looking for something closer to home with more opportunities for growth. Most future employers will understand, and be discreet if they call her at all.
    I've Been Frosted

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Absolutely - what Karen said. And don't worry - most perspective employers won't call for a reference if you ask them not to, since they know it could jeopardize your current job. You shouldn't feel that you are going behind your present employer's back, and ya gotta do what ya gotta do!. If this present vet doesn't see you as any more accomplished than an unregistered tech, then obviously you are in a position that is going nowhere.

Go for it - and good luck!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

What Karen said!!!

Get your resume out there. You learn SO much just from interviews. Don't feel you HAVE to take the first job offer that comes your way. Explore what is out there!

Most employers ask if they can contact your current employer.
    I have a longer commute than you do, plus traffic, and I've been here almost 9 years!! I always day dream about getting another job. But I am afraid to leave here then not like the other job. I don't love my job (anymore) but I don't hate it either. If I were to leave they would have to replace me immediately so I wouldn't be able to come back if I didn't like the new job.
    I think my company is going down the drain slowly anyway, so I'll just tough it out until they either let me go or the company folds.

But I definitely think you should look for a job closer to home. One that will appreciate your education and experience. One that has benefits and sick days. I know it is scary............but you can do it!! I hate change myself, but sometimes you have to just deal with it.

Good Luck!!
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Thank you all for the replies and encouragement. I think I know what needs to be done, but you're right - I'm afraid to! I keep telling myself, give it a few more months, then I do... Then I say, give it a few more months... Next thing I know it's a year later an I'm still here. It isn't a horrible place to work at, I enjoy my co-workers (for the most part - I do feel I work harder than them for far less praise. For crying out loud someone got a huge thank-you letter displayed publically today for changing the calendars to August.........), and the other doctors are great to work with, it's just my boss...

And another reason why I'm skeptical to leave without saying something to her is because when I applied to my current job (with her) eventhough I did NOT list my current place of employment on my references, she called my boss anyway and didn't tell me she did it. I had to find out from the receptionist at my old job that she had calle to talk to my old boss. That worries me, and makes me worried other doctors will do the same thing.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Don't you realize that the longer you stay where you are - the more difficult it becomes to move on?? Been there - done that - and if I was still working - would never make that mistake again! If there are vets closer to you that are hiring, I would sure as heck just drop off a resume. It would be different if you were just fishing around, hoping that they might need someone some day. Nothing ventured - nothing gained!!! Don't let this present vet hold you back or make you feel guilty about anything. You worked hard to get where you are. Don't stagnate!!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

I don't know what the laws are there - but here in Alberta (at least) all a former employer is allowed to say is to confirm that you worked at their place.

What good that does, I don't know.

Could you just give notice and take a leap of faith? Or if you apply for other jobs and she confronts you, then give your notice?

It will all work out the way it's supposed to.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

That's how my company is. HR can only say an employee worked there and the time frame.
    But Jessika's point is her current employer doesn't know she's looking for another job. So even someone calling to verify employment could cause issues for her.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1 View Post
    It will all work out the way it's supposed to.
    Story of my life so far, and no complaints about where I've ended up. These were pretty much the exact words I needed to hear

Quote Originally Posted by Taz_Zoee View Post
    That's how my company is. HR can only say an employee worked there and the time frame.
    But Jessika's point is her current employer doesn't know she's looking for another job. So even someone calling to verify employment could cause issues for her.
    Yes - exactly. And the "law" is they can only confirm employment. But in this industry, doctors are all friends, or they at least talk... they love to check resources on potential employees. So eventhough they are only allowed to verify employment, I know more is said. As I previously mentioned, my current boss called my previous employer without my knowledge or consent, and despite the fact she was not listed on my references. And I have a feeling other doctors are likely to do the same. Also, I work in a VERY small clinic. The HR is just our office manager, if not my boss herself. It isn't like I work in a corporate company where I am only a name.

facebook

12. There is no law about what a employer can or cannot say. There are only things it is stupid for an employer to say (and stupid is not illegal yet...)

With that...most employer are respectful enough not to contact your current employer without your permission. You do not want to work for one that would.

With that...from my 20+ years in hr...do not...repeat DO NOT quit until you have another job. Employers are leery of people who quit without another job. Lack of income is not the leap of faith you want to make. If I see someone who quit without another job I suspect they were near to being pushed out the door or they were actually fired or they are flaky.

Do not...DO NOT EVER say anything bad about your current employer. If someone is willing to tell me bad things about their current - or any former employer it is a GIANT red flag.

There are ways to be positive about anybody and any job. Practice doing that.

So...don't quit until you have an offer...don't worry about whether or not your current employer will be contact...just very politely say...I am still employed so please do not contact my current employer until you have made me an offer and be postitive!

Quote Originally Posted by Edwina's Secretary View Post
    There is no law about what a employer can or cannot say. There are only things it is stupid for an employer to say (and stupid is not illegal yet...)

With that...most employer are respectful enough not to contact your current employer without your permission. You do not want to work for one that would.

With that...from my 20+ years in hr...do not...repeat DO NOT quit until you have another job. Employers are leery of people who quit without another job. Lack of income is not the leap of faith you want to make. If I see someone who quit without another job I suspect they were near to being pushed out the door or they were actually fired or they are flaky.

Do not...DO NOT EVER say anything bad about your current employer. If someone is willing to tell me bad things about their current - or any former employer it is a GIANT red flag.

There are ways to be positive about anybody and any job. Practice doing that.

So...don't quit until you have an offer...don't worry about whether or not your current employer will be contact...just very politely say...I am still employed so please do not contact my current employer until you have made me an offer and be postitive!
    She's right on 100%. In my case, the only way out of this situation, in the state where I live, was to leave. Just too much abuse. We have no employee rights in this state. Seriously. I wouldn't trash another employer; it doesn't work and isn't positive, even if your employer is awful.

Just keep looking and working and hopefully it will work out!
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

Oh I never planned on saying anything negative about my current employer, unless you would say saying something like "I would like a job with more opportunity for growth" is negative? I guess I can't say that "I don't feel fully utilized at my current job" to prospective future employer or would that be in a negative connotation as well?

I did a lot of research tonight on clinics nearby me. Hiring or not, I plan on writing out personalized cover letters for each clinic I'm interested in working in. There is actually one pretty close by that a friend and classmate from vet tech school is working at!! Don't think they're hiring, but at least I have an "insider" who can give a good word for me if they are hiring!

This is just so scary. Say I do get a job offer at another clinic -- how do I approach my current boss? She is the type that will spew "communication is key!!" to me; she will probably be "offended" that I did not approach her more about these issues (again, I have brought up some to her in the past, but not all of them. When I brought up my commute and the price of gas coupled with the fact that my car gets crappy gas mileage, she gave me a $0.05 raise....................). Also, from what I've been reading on my veterinary forums, the standard yearly raise is 10-15%, or $1; I received a combined ~7% raise for my yearly raise AND passing state boards; that's a 3% yearly raise and a little over 3% for passing state boards and she acted like it was a HUMONGOUS raise... seriously, she kept saying "this is a HUGE raise!!!!".

Bahhhh!! Thank you all for allowing me an unbiased area to vent!!!!! It isn't like I have never quit a job before!!! But every other job I've quit in the past I've had a stone cold reason (started school, moved hours away, divorced, etc). Never because I wasn't "happy".

facebook

Could you possibly just leave it as, "a better opportunity has been presented to me" or something like that? I have never actually "quit" a job either, but then again, I've never had a real-world career YET. I don't think she really needs to know all the details personally.