Thread: The cost of a dental cleaning for cats!

The cost of a dental cleaning for cats!

Last week I was on the talk show that Karen mentions quite often. I called in and asked about my two Abyssinian cats and their new problem with fighting with each other. I was told that Juni thinks Chloe stinks from something. Juni can't stand her odor. Well, it just so happened that when I had them both to the vet about a month ago, the Vet thought Chloe should have a dental cleaning. She is scheduled for Aug. 24th.

The cost of the cleaning (not including any extractions) will be $245.00. I was shocked. It has been about 10 years since any of my cats had a cleaning done. Anyway, I said thank you but that is too much and called around to other Vets. Well, two other Vet's quoted me at $480 and $590. Oh my gosh. I quickly called my Vet and scheduled Chloe for the "cheap visit" of $245. Their comment was that they must knock out the cat. Well, I'm sorry, I think it was WAY to much and many people cannot afford prices like this. I can afford it, but gee, if all three needed their teeth cleaned, regularly, I'd have to file for bankruptcy soon! Yikes.

I love my Vet and her staff, but I think the business of Vets is getting a bit out of hand. Even the cost of an office visit has sky rocketed.

I was shocked when the call in person said that about Chloe having a bad odor about her. I cannot smell anything and of course, I cannot get her mouth open to look at her teeth. The vet can, but the Vet has an assistant to hold the squirmy little devil.

Wow, I wonder how much of it is for what - thank goodness you called around!
    I've Been Frosted

That is about what is it around here as well - $250 for a cat dental, $350 for a dog dental. Extractions are extra.

Will be interesting to hear what the vet sees in her mouth (plaque, tartar, gingivitis, infection?) and if the 2 stop fighting once Chloe heals afterwards.

Well I think that you're getting a great deal. Actually all of the prices you quoted are much less than what I've had to pay for cleanings. In CA. it's so expensive for anything. I had Storm's teeth cleaned again in April and it was well over $1000. This also included extractions, meds. and several other things but I sure would be thrilled to only have to pay $245.

At my vets they rate the severity of the dental. Stage 1 Periodontal Disease: Characterized by mild dental tartar & gingivitis is between $575-675 for both cats & dogs. Stage 2 Periodontal Disease: Characterized by moderate to severe dental tartar& gingivitis, early bone/tooth decay with pocket formation,bad breath,painful mouth, and occasional tooth mobility is $600-850 for cats and $750-975 for dogs. Stage 3 Periodontal Disease: Characterized by severe dental tartar & gingivitis, advanced bone & tooth decay with deeper periodontal pockets, chronic bacterial infection, bad breath, painful mouth, and compromised, mobile teeth is $800-1,050 for cats and $850-1,150 for dogs.

Storm has always been a stage 3 both times that I had his teeth cleaned at this veterinary hospital. My vet also tends to like to wait until an animal really needs to have a dental done.

It#s US prices- they are high whether it is humans or cats. Filou's dental (including knocking him out) was never more than 100 €.
    But- all the best for Chloe. I am sure that dental thing is an Aby thing. And Filou smelled more fishy from his little mouth.

Missy had a dental with two root extractions( the teeth had broken off) back in April. The cost was $116.93. The first visit about her teeth(I noticed she was having trouble eating) was $150.19. That was for the exam, CBC, and an injection of antibiotics. So total was $267.12.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

I had a look at the bill from last Fister had his teeth cleaned. It was $246 for the anesthesia, cleaning and two extractions. Then I payed extra for bloodwork, vaccination and some painkiller (Metacam). I got 10% off the bill as usual. I'm so happy that Fister's teeth are clean and none have to come out now. I even bought children toothbrushes to clean his teeth, so hopefully that will prevent any further dentalwork.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

We recently had two in for teeth cleaning - not at the same time, though. Price was around $150 each. That included pre-op labs, anesthesia and cleaning. Fortunately neither of them needed extractions or post-op meds. We left our previous Vet a few years back because of the rapid increase in rates for different things.