Thread: OTC wormer?

OTC wormer?

Looks like the kitties have tapeworm. Since going to the vet is such a trauma for Chels and Franklin, I'm going to try worming them myself. Anyone have suggestions? Stuff to use? Stuff to avoid?
    They are indoor only. Their only exposure to the great outdoors is inside the kitty kabana but evidently that was enough for them to pick up a few fleas. I haven't seen a single flea or flea dirt but I'm going to get them on frontline anyway.
    Thanks for any and all ideas!
    Diane
    Central Coast CA
    "Cats happen......"

As long as you have your kitties' weight, I am sure you can just pick up the stuff at the vet. There is Frontline and Revolution...I am not sure which is best or which one kills fleas and worms both. Best to play it safe, I think. They each may need a second dose to catch any eggs that hatch.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

I'm pretty sure I need a separate drug to kill the tapeworms. I picked up Frontline plus to take care of the fleas....
    Diane
    Central Coast CA
    "Cats happen......"

Maybe you could call your vet and ask?
    I've Been Frosted

Well, after googling dewormer and not seeing much good info, I decided to just buy a cat carrier big enough for both of them and make an appointment to see the vet. The kitties will just have to deal with the trauma.......
    Diane
    Central Coast CA
    "Cats happen......"

There are two dewormers that work for tapeworms. Drontal is a pill, and Profender is a tube like the flea stuff. Both of these have to be dosed by weight, so it's good you're going to the vet. I wouldn't use any of the OTC stuff.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

Profender is a topical dewormer (Like Revolution for fleas) and is available for appropriate weight ratio. Check with your vet for the right one. It is so much easier than trying to get one of those deworm pills into your cat . Good luck with your kitties.
    Yours in Whiskers

I'm not young enough to know everything.

"The Best Mirror is an Old Friend"

“The secret of what is small is the secret of clear-sightedness; the guarding of what is soft and tender is the secret of strength.”

• Lao Tzu

I'm sorry to hear that they have tapeworm. I was also going to say that Drontal pills work very well. My Sky had them shortly after I adopted him. He had been deflead but not dewormed before I adopted him and apparently must've swallowed a flea. Since he's a large cat, I had to give him two doses of it. I think it was about 2-3 weeks apart. Even though my cats are indoor only, I've been using advantage every month for many years now and I've never ever had any more flea problems or tapeworm problems either. Good luck.