Page 31 of 48 FirstFirst ... 212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun control discussion

The commandment "thou shall not kill" is a mistranslation. That original text translates to something along the lines of don't kill innocents.

Were the commandment as you stated accurately translated into the KJV (which it wasn't) no follower of Joshua could have been following Mosiac law. Being that they were following orders from the man upstairs, however........

Nice try, I'll give you an 8 for effort, regardless of the over simplification of the argument.

As to seeing the other side of the argument, I see it, but reject the logic behind it. Relying on someone else to take care of issues just isn't something I'm inclined to do, particularly when the clean up crew is 1/2 hour away.

Congratulations on the record of being a victim, not sure how it's material ot this discussion, but it does clearly show you as someone who's more prone to relying on others for your security. After the first incident I'd have done something to prevent the others, but you're obviously of a different mindset.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    I don't believe that because you own a gun for protection, that it means you have it to shoot to kill. Shoot to disable would work just fine in most cases. And if I did have a gun, I certainly would NOT have a permit to carry one with me - it would only be for my protection in my own home. But since I will never be in a position where I live alone, then this is all just "ifs" in my case. I have no problem with people who choose to have a hand gun in their home for their personal safety - it's the morons who collect many different guns and assault rifles and end up killing senselessly and viciously because something in their head goes screwy.

JMHO - be it right or wrong.............
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    I don't believe that because you own a gun for protection, that it means you have it to shoot to kill. Shoot to disable would work just fine in most cases. And if I did have a gun, I certainly would NOT have a permit to carry one with me - it would only be for my protection in my own home. But since I will never be in a position where I live alone, then this is all just "ifs" in my case. I have no problem with people who choose to have a hand gun in their home for their personal safety - it's the morons who collect many different guns and assault rifles and end up killing senselessly and viciously because something in their head goes screwy.

JMHO - be it right or wrong.............
    And we get back to the age-old question about what exactly are the clues to someone going screwy??

The last moron - and just how the eff does a convicted murderer get a gun - shoots up a group of first responders, AFTER killing his sister and after killing his G-ma with a hatchet?

If we had a little rule about an "Eye for an eye" and had put this AH to death when presented with the chance?

We probably would not be having this conversation.

Also, why does the media find the need to hammer home the brand of a weapon?

In the years when the 'drive-by' shooting was in vogue, the media reported that the gangs were using "AK-47s" then cut to the film of the police emptying the car of bad guys and guns.

The guns were little .22 cal Rugers or shotguns....The medias obsession with putting an name/marque to a gun is 'funny' and just prods the next nut to fall from the trees.

-----------------

Another problem we have is not wanting to betray a loved one, neighbor or friend because of their odd behavior. And how many times has odd behavior turned into mass murder?

----------------

Here in town, one of the elected officials is due to see the judge for his third DUI offense in four years.

He hasn't killed anyone, yet, but why do we take the chance and not make it tougher to drive AFTER your first offense?

And why doesn't the media make light of the kinds of cars these fools drive?

I would like to know, that way I could give them a wide berth when I am on the road..........
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.

Richard - my point is: who, in the first place, needs an arsenal of weapons in their home - be it hand guns or "assault type" weapons.?? Just about anyone can flip and go screwy (including you or me ), but someone with only that one handgun that they originally had for their own personal protection, will do a whole lot less damage than the person who has enough firepower to outfit a small army!
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    Richard - my point is: who, in the first place, needs an arsenal of weapons in their home - be it hand guns or "assault type" weapons.?? Just about anyone can flip and go screwy (including you or me ), but someone with only that one handgun that they originally had for their own personal protection, will do a whole lot less damage than the person who has enough firepower to outfit a small army!
    When my dad died, he had 13 long guns and 7 pistols.

He wasn't a collector, but he liked guns. He loved to shoot and he was feared at the shooting comps he entered - the most common complaint from the younger men was, "why do I have to shoot against (My Dad)?". Pops was 25-40 years older than most people in the groups he shot against and he won many prizes and trophys. (He shot small and large bore pistols and rifles, so he had a variety of "shooting irons" in his arsenal).

I inherited most of the collection and would like to purchase one more rifle (along with a safe).

I find some guns to be pieces of art and think that target shooting is a challenge, sport and way to relax. The mental and physical demands of TS are pretty intense and I do find it fun.

That said? I don't find consider my guns as protection or an arsenal, I don't fear them, nor would I disrespect them. They are put away and I don't think about them until I need to move them, pull them out to see that they are not rusting or to make sure they are still there.

There are responsible gun owners and idiots, just like cars, bicycle, motorbike and ?????? owners.

Yes, guns are meant for 'one reason' but that doesn't mean that they cannot be used in other manners?

Well - I stated my opinion so now I'll just shut up - again!!! This thread could probably go on for the next 10 years without any resolution/compromise/half-hearted agreement - and everyone will continue to argue/debate/discuss/criticize, etc, the same points over and over again - tho they just might use different wording so it doesn't appear that they are being redundant!
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

DC police to investigate TV show incident - Crime Scene - The Washington Post

Posted at 03:21 AM ET, 12/26/2012
    DC police to investigate TV show incident
    By Martin Weil

The D.C. police confirmed reports Wednesday that they are looking into an incident in which David Gregory, the host of the television show “Meet the Press,” displayed what he described as a high-capacity ammunition magazine.

Asked about media reports saying that authorities were looking into the incident, Gwendolyn Crump, the police spokeswoman, responded early Wednesday by e-mail: “Yes. We are investigating this matter.”

The incident came as Gregory was interviewing Wayne LaPierre, the CEO of the National Rifle Association, about measures that Gregory suggested might reduce the potential for mass killings, such as the one that occurred in Connecticut. .

In asking his guest on the NBC show whether high-capacity ammunition magazines should be banned, Gregory held an object in his hand and said it was a magazine that could hold 30 bullets.

In its firearms regulations, the The D.C. Code stipulates that “No person in the District shall possess, sell, or transfer any large capacity ammunition feeding device” whether or not it is attached to a firearm.

“Meet the Press,” generally is produced in the District.

After the TV show aired, references to the incident began to appear online, questioning whether the code had been violated.

Reports about the incident aired Tuesday on media outlets. Some of the reports indicated that police would try to determine whether the object was an actual high-capacity magazine.

At the hour at which reports of the inquiry were confirmed early Wednesday, it appeared impractical to obtain response from the television show, or the NBC network which carried it.

By Martin Weil | 03:21 AM ET, 12/26/2012
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
    Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.

Karen Finney, a puppethead news reader for MSNBC was a fill-in on one of the regular programs today and she was going on and on about assault weapons and the AH who shot the firemen.

She made a comment about a "High Drum Magazine" for an assault rifle.

----------------

You have to laugh at the lengths that the media goes thru to get a story straight.

MORONS.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    As to seeing the other side of the argument, I see it, but reject the logic behind it. Relying on someone else to take care of issues just isn't something I'm inclined to do, particularly when the clean up crew is 1/2 hour away.

Congratulations on the record of being a victim, not sure how it's material ot this discussion, but it does clearly show you as someone who's more prone to relying on others for your security. After the first incident I'd have done something to prevent the others, but you're obviously of a different mindset.
    And there is where your so-called logic fails. In none of those situations would a gun have been of any use to me.

Muggers do not walk up to you and announce..."Madame, I am about to mug you so please prepare your weapon." It happens so fast. My friend who was with me and on the pay phone (pre-cell phone ubiquity) did not even see it. Had I a gun in my purse - there would have been an armed mugger afterwards.

My car? - I do not spend all night sitting outside guarding my car with a loaded gun. That's how it is when you park on a city street.

The buglary? The police believed it was my landlord - a pot smoking idiot who was angry that I was moving out. As I sleep through the whole event - assuming that is when it happened, what good would a gun have done?

And I would not think any of those situations warranted the death sentence. Rambo wannabes who fancy themselves precision sharpshooter have watched wwwwaaayyy too many movies!

Instead of a gun...I learned to be more alert about my surroundings...more careful about where I go, more sure to park my car where I should, have better locks on my doors. I got smarter. As any cop will tell you - avoiding dangerous situations is far better than being armed.

Relying on other people. I don't think so! I preferred to rely on my own good sense rather than an inanimate object.

By the way....

I do hope you will get the Pope straightened out on his misunderstanding of the Ten Commandments!

Quote Originally Posted by Edwina's Secretary View Post
    Relying on other people. I don't think so! I preferred to rely on my own good sense rather than an inanimate object.

By the way....

I do hope you will get the Pope straightened out on his misunderstanding of the Ten Commandments!
    Hebraic Insight…

The Jewish sages note that the word “ratsakh” applies only to illegal killing (e.g., premeditated murder or manslaughter) — and is never used in the administration of justice or for killing in war. Hence the KJV translation as “thou shalt not kill” is too broad.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

11. Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    Hebraic Insight…

The Jewish sages note that the word “ratsakh” applies only to illegal killing (e.g., premeditated murder or manslaughter) — and is never used in the administration of justice or for killing in war. Hence the KJV translation as “thou shalt not kill” is too broad.
    His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI
    00120 Vatican City, Italy, Europe

E-mail: [email protected]

Let him know....

How could so many people have been so wrong for so long...until you came along to straighten them out!

His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI
    00120 Vatican City, Italy, Europe

E-mail: [email protected]

Let him know....

How could so many people have been so wrong for so long...until you came along to straighten them out!
    Not I, I'd put more stock in Hebrew scholars than the translators who created the KJV. The KJV bible, while wonderfully thundering language, is rife with inaccuracies in translation, and this has been known for quite some time.

Blog Entries

Guns

My dad was hansome and the finest person you could ever meet. He was a collecter of a few things and thought 2 357 magnums in his safe was a plan. He had them for 20 years. When he was 67 and his second wife left him, he took one out and blew his brains out. Sure there were more reasons but that's what he did 3 weeks before Chritmas 11 years ago. Pretty hard to live with that one. I got some wicked pepper spray for Christmas, to each his own I guess.

14. Mon...my deepest and sincerest condolences. I know your pain.

LH...I should think a "religious scholar" would know that the King James Version of the Bible is not the version used by the Catholic Church?

It's not my book but I do find it rather...situational ethics...Thou shall not kill does not apply if you think the person needs killing. Does that extent to the other nine? Keeep the Sabbath Holy - unless there is a football game on? Thou shall not steal - unless the person really doesn't need it.

They are the commandments - not the suggestions as someone once said to me. To suggest it is okay if it is a "legal" kill...whose laws define legal?

And how many of the rabbis were there when Moses got the tablets anyway?

I am sorry but I can only give you a 4.5. Interesting discussion but holes in it that a 747 could get through.

LH...I should think a "religious scholar" would know that the King James Version of the Bible is not the version used by the Catholic Church?
    I'm well aware that the Catholic Church does not use the KJV, after all, it was a text made by heretics to let the masses read the bible in their native language, however, most bibles translated prior to archeological discoveries in the latter part of the 20th century have inaccuracies because they are translations of translations, without the strict code of Hebrew scholars.

As to the leading part of that statement, I don't claim to be a religious scholar, for that matter I have little truck with any "religion".

Just for a little clarification on that statement, the Pharisees were religious. John had faith.

It's not my book but I do find it rather...situational ethics...Thou shall not kill does not apply if you think the person needs killing. Does that extent to the other nine? Keeep the Sabbath Holy - unless there is a football game on? Thou shall not steal - unless the person really doesn't need it.
    YOu don't believe? Fine, stop denigrating others faith. I know you find conversation minus derision to be a nearly impossible bar for you to get to, but please try.

They are the commandments - not the suggestions as someone once said to me. To suggest it is okay if it is a "legal" kill...whose laws define legal?

And how many of the rabbis were there when Moses got the tablets anyway?
    They are commandments, not suggestions....however, go back to the language they were originally written in, and they are far different in meaning from the religious dogma. As to how many rabbis were there when Moses got the tablets? None, however, the Hebrew scholarly traditions have maintained a fairly rigid record through the years.
    Last edited by Lady's Human; 12-27-2012 at 10:03 PM.