Page 27 of 48 FirstFirst ... 171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun control discussion

1. So there you have it. Nothing will work shout the naysayers! So we should do....nothing.

Until of course, the next mass execution of innocents.

At which time we will again nash our teeth and moan and complain.

And do nothing. Because the naysayers say nothing will work.

How sad. I thought we are a nation that is creative and innovative and "get it done?"

Nope. We will continue to curse the darkness instead of lighting a candle.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Asiel, don't believe everything you hear in the media, last I knew it was just anecdotal reports that the kid has Aspergers, and I did not see anywhere mentioned that the mother had MS. Some reports say "autistic," others say "Aspergers" but none of it was confirmed or diagnosed, just different people's opinions. This thread is just for the gun control side of things, there is another thread "the I am Adam Lanza's Mother" thread that touches more on the mental health side.
    Karen I wasn't going by the media-- I know how they can exagerate stuff. The Asperger's has been diagnosed , and it's another form of autism, very different as matter of fact. All degrees of it. And yes, the mother did have ms...that was also confirmed and not in the media. Yes I did follow the media but it was mostly because of the kids and the sadness of the whole thing., there was just a mass shooting in a movie theatre and I did follow the story but it didn't really have the same impact---where kids are concerned ( and I considered these babies) then that throws me over the edge.
    I wasn't pointing a finger at anyone in particular, probably just the ones that were bickering and arguing.
    Like I said...momoffuzzyfaces seems to have come up with the sanest answer.

I did read the "I am Adam Lanza's Mother" -- it's sad that mental illness is never considered important enough to take it seriously.
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----

Quote Originally Posted by Asiel View Post
    Like I said...momoffuzzyfaces seems to have come up with the sanest answer.

I did read the "I am Adam Lanza's Mother" -- it's sad that mental illness is never considered important enough to take it seriously.
    I've just been listening and taking it all in. Don't even have a suggestion that's different. I do have a question about what MOFF said. I can't find that post.

I do know that mental illness is misunderstood and overlooked. And is hidden a lot of the times. My mother always said it was the quiet ones that were scariest. I've always taken that advice to heart.

I know this won't leave this forum: In the wake of the latest mass murders, a boy at our school was expelled. Apparently he was in possession (trunk of his car) of many types of weapons. We are rural and hunting and gun ownership is a cherished right. Was this bad judgment? I pointed out that even if he intended no harm, it was known that he had the weapons and someone that intended harm could have used them. Someone knew he had them and turned him in that Friday. Fortunately many people knew he had them so hopefully he won't know who turned him in.

I've related what was in the news, so I am violating no confidences.

That being said, even my ultra conservative brother thinks that the 2nd amendment is overrated. It wasn't intended for these times and that the average person has no need for an arsenal, let alone any assault weapons. I agree.

I do understand some people's fear of a gov't that has no respect for the people. I think they are a little bit crazy, but it is so easy for things to get tilted the wrong way. A well regulated militia? The armed forces? Or private militia's? Any way, I do think there needs to be some way of regulating access to weapons and types of weapons allowed. Some weapons just make it too easy to kill and you can't take it back at all after that.

After all, there are regulations and requirements to drive a car, perform in many occupations like medicine, education, construction, etc. Why do we not have betters checks and balances for guns?
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

Quote Originally Posted by mrspunkysmom View Post
    I've just been listening and taking it all in. Don't even have a suggestion that's different. I do have a question about what MOFF said. I can't find that post.

I do know that mental illness is misunderstood and overlooked. And is hidden a lot of the times. My mother always said it was the quiet ones that were scariest. I've always taken that advice to heart.

I know this won't leave this forum: In the wake of the latest mass murders, a boy at our school was expelled. Apparently he was in possession (trunk of his car) of many types of weapons. We are rural and hunting and gun ownership is a cherished right. Was this bad judgment? I pointed out that even if he intended no harm, it was known that he had the weapons and someone that intended harm could have used them. Someone knew he had them and turned him in that Friday. Fortunately many people knew he had them so hopefully he won't know who turned him in. I've related what was in the news, so I am violating no confidences.

That being said, even my ultra conservative brother thinks that the 2nd amendment is overrated. It wasn't intended for these times and that the average person has no need for an arsenal, let alone any assault weapons. I agree.

I do understand some people's fear of a gov't that has no respect for the people. I think they are a little bit crazy, but it is so easy for things to get tilted the wrong way. A well regulated militia? The armed forces? Or private militia's? Any way, I do think there needs to be some way of regulating access to weapons and types of weapons allowed. Some weapons just make it too easy to kill and you can't take it back at all after that.

After all, there are regulations and requirements to drive a car, perform in many occupations like medicine, education, construction, etc. Why do we not have betters checks and balances for guns?
    The law in most states says that you CANNOT BEING FIREARMS ONTO SCHOOL PROPERTY, THERE IS ALSO A PERIMETER RULE.

If this idiot did so, he should pay the price, also, why should people fear retribution if they are doing the right thing?

Idiots get to drive, become doctors, teachers and construction workers.

When you crack the secrets of the mind - check the internet for examples of stupidity and then we will make progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwina's Secretary View Post
    So there you have it. Nothing will work shout the naysayers! So we should do....nothing.

Until of course, the next mass execution of innocents.(
    Eliminate gun free zones.

The black powder rifle, was once an assault weapon. The flint lock rifle, was once an assault weapon. They were weapons of war, as archaic as they may seem today. A Free People should be able to stand up to a hostile .gov as the founders did with the Government.

The Government was once ruled by the people, and the Government feared the people. Today the .gov rules the people and is not afraid because it has continued to disarmed the people.

If a weapon is available to the local PD, it should be legal to the populace and not considered an assault weapon.

The flint lock of our for fathers age, is todays M16A4.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
    Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.

So there you have it. Nothing will work shout the naysayers! So we should do....nothing.

Until of course, the next mass execution of innocents.

At which time we will again nash our teeth and moan and complain.

And do nothing. Because the naysayers say nothing will work.

How sad. I thought we are a nation that is creative and innovative and "get it done?"

Nope. We will continue to curse the darkness instead of lighting a candle.
    Actually, if you go back several pages, a suggestion was made.

However, it didn't involve your personal goal, so you ignored it and replied with your usual snark about a typo.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    Actually, if you go back several pages, a suggestion was made.

However, it didn't involve your personal goal, so you ignored it and replied with your usual snark about a typo.
    Well if there is anyone who knows "snark" it is you!

(Just for fun...apparently you consider it "snark" when I correct you about the name of a law...is it also "snark" when you correct people about - well everything?)

But of course! It must have been a suggestion that involves your personal goal.

If you are referring to doing something about mentally unhealthy people getting guns - I don't disagree. Of course who will define mentally unhealthy is the challenge. (I will volunteer.) What's more - no
    background checks are required when buying guns at gun shows - among other "loopholes." So mentally unstable person will not be prevented from buying guns at gun shows even if HIPAA allows access to mental health records. And of course, they can just "borrow" mom or dad's guns - or get a friend to buy for them.

There are many things that can be done to reduce this national problem - but among them has to be controls on guns.

Straw purchases are illegal and result in federal time for the purchaser. (unless, of course, the straw purchase has been blessed off in advance by a federal agency, right Whitey?)

The "Gun show loophole" is both overstated and misreported. Dealers at gun shows are required to do NICS checks on purchasers, just like they are required anywhere else. The sole exception to NICS checks involves private party to private party sales, which in many states still involve NICS checks.

Guns are already controlled. The notion that it's just the wild west out there and you can just run into your local hardware store and plunk down a sawbuck and walk out with a gun is largely just that....a myth. It's one that certain parties prefer to portray as fact, but it's a myth.

How's gun control working for Chicago? NYC? While we're at it, how'd prohibition go? The war on drugs?

Yeah, bans and strict controls work ever so well.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Question. Is there solid proof, one way or the other, that increased violence on TV, in movies and video games can increase a person's tendency to commit violent acts? I've heard "yes it does" and "no it does not" on the news. TV and movies have become so much more graphic in the violence they depict. I quit watching Criminal Minds for quite awhile because the stories went from suspenseful to downright violent. They must have had a lot of complaints because it seems to be scaled back somewhat.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

but among them has to be controls on guns.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    Yeah, bans and strict controls work ever so well.
    Prohibition work well for us.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
    Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.

Quote Originally Posted by blue View Post
    Prohibition work well for us.
    It worked well for the Kennedy clan, it bankrolled their way into the White House and into the political realm for three generations.

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD View Post
    The law in most states says that you CANNOT BEING FIREARMS ONTO SCHOOL PROPERTY, THERE IS ALSO A PERIMETER RULE.

If this idiot did so, he should pay the price, also, why should people fear retribution if they are doing the right thing?

Idiots get to drive, become doctors, teachers and construction workers.

When you crack the secrets of the mind - check the internet for examples of stupidity and then we will make progress.
    Fear Retribution? Because those that think they have been wronged do stupid stuff! Revengeful stuff! Being right doesn't mean much if you are injured or dead.

Yes a few always slip through the cracks, but before someone carries a gun in my classroom or home I would like to know that they are well trained. 2nd amendment rights? I have the right to determine what someone brings on my property, something the NRA disagrees with, at least as far as guns are concerned.

Disappointing coming from you, Richard. Being an idiot has nothing to do with being sane or stable. Of course this might have to do with the personal definition of idiot. This has much less to do with common sense and intelligence and much more to do with values and social connections with people.

I'm through trading barbs. I forgot these threads are about insulting others and not having meaningful discussions about a topic of concern.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

Fear Retribution? Because those that think they have been wronged do stupid stuff! Revengeful stuff! Being right doesn't mean much if you are injured or dead.

Yes a few always slip through the cracks, but before someone carries a gun in my classroom or home I would like to know that they are well trained. 2nd amendment rights? I have the right to determine what someone brings on my property, something the NRA disagrees with, at least as far as guns are concerned..
    You can most certainly bar people from bringing firearms onto your personal property. The second amendment bars GOVERNMENT from banning the possession of firearms, and does in no way, shape or form bar you from banning them on your own property. As an illustration, the Government cannot bar a topic of discussion from this forum, but Karen can ban any discussion she desires to ban.
    Last edited by Lady's Human; 12-21-2012 at 01:01 AM. Reason: fixing typos before they once again become the topic of discussion

Yes a few always slip through the cracks, but before someone carries a gun in my classroom or home I would like to know that they are well trained. 2nd amendment rights? I have the right to determine what someone brings on my property, something the NRA disagrees with, at least as far as guns are concerned.

Disappointing coming from you, Richard. Being an idiot has nothing to do with being sane or stable. Of course this might have to do with the personal definition of idiot. This has much less to do with common sense and intelligence and much more to do with values and social connections with people.

I'm through trading barbs. I forgot these threads are about insulting others and not having meaningful discussions about a topic of concern.

You'd be hard pressed to come up with an excuse for bringing a firearm, any firearm onto school property.

Just like the people who accidentally bring a firearm into an airport because they 'forgot'.

I know what is in my possession pretty much all of the time and if I don't, I shouldn't be worrying about retribution,
    I am worried about finding a lawyer and how much this eff-for-all is gonna cost me.

I'd like to think I am sane and stable, but I have my moron/idiot moments - I am not afraid to admit that.....but I sure ain't gonna go after someone that turns me in for my stupidity. I got some bigger fish to fry.

It would be a pity if this were your last post on this subject. Clarity of thought and expression is always a good thing.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt