Page 12 of 48 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun control discussion

If we just banned humans, the problem would be solved! Oh, wait - we ARE humans .... hmmmm ....
    I've Been Frosted

2. Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    And my point remains the same.

It's not the tool that should be feared, it's just an inanimate object.

It's the person using it who should be feared.
    I agree! Someone has suggested that people are afraid of guns...I suppose some are. Some people are afraid of heights as well. Or public speaking.

I will say what I AM afraid of - people who have guns. Especially people who feel the need to take their guns out in public. And even more afraid of people who feel the need to own military style guns. That does not mean I cower in my home afraid to go in public places. It just means I do what I can to avoid these people. There is a reason you hear "armed and dangerous."

Quite the contrary. If you figure the statistical probabilities of death from firearms (# of firearms vs number of deaths annually) vs the number of deaths by vehicle (again, use the same calculation) the motor vehicle is far, far more likely to kill when operated as designed. There are more firearms than vehicles in the United States, and far more vehicular deaths, be they homicides (vehicular homicide is a fairly common charge) or other incidents. In a vehicular homicide, the vehicle performed as designed, and someone died, therefore the end conclusion using your logic is the same, vehicles MUST be banned.
    Sorry LH - your argument is still fallacious. To make your stretch you would have to compare the exposure to guns that result in death and the exposure to vehicles that result in death. You have not even taken inot consideration the number of guns vcs the number of vehcules. I think your "fairly common charge of vehicular homicide" hyperbole. How do you define "fairly common"? Once a day?

About 25% of adults in the US own guns. As there are about 250,000 vehicles in the US - there is a huge difference in exposure. Quibble with the numbers if you like - it doesn't take much thinking to recognize that comparing the number of deaths by gun to deaths by vehicle is invalid.

It is a good stretch...but still a stretch. You have apples, oranges and peaches - and all you have produced is fruit salad.

So why can't I sue the manufacturer of a gun if it kills someone?

250,000 vehicles in the US? That's an very poor estimate, as is the 25% of adults owning firearms.

according to the census bureau, in 2006 there were 48,000 deaths in motor vehicle accidents.

In that same year there were 13000 homicides involving firearms.

You can parse, twist and adjust statistics however you care to, but the end result is the same. you are far, far more likely to be killed by a motor vehicle than a firearm.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

This thread is beginning to remind me of a saying from Grandma Paterson: "Two stubborn beaks of equal strength can stretch a worm to any length!" And, she'd point out, still be hungry while doing so!
    I've Been Frosted

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    This thread is beginning to remind me of a saying from Grandma Paterson: "Two stubborn beaks of equal strength can stretch a worm to any length!" And, she'd point out, still be hungry while doing so!
    The worm eventually has to break.......... Who wins, the beak with the bigger length - kinda like with the wishbone?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD View Post
    My dad had a rifle rack in his truck, until he put on the brakes one day and was hit in the head with a gun.

That guns in trucks can be a hazard too.

--------------------------

My truck is champagne colored.
    Never fear Richard,if I ever have a concealed weapon permit, it won't be a rifle in my truck.

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    Should coffee be banned too? Was the mug full of coffee when the attack started? If it was, he could have actually aspirated some and choked to death on it, and those sharp force injuries about the head could very well be secondary.
    What if I drink tea, not coffee? Is the mug just as dangerous?

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    And my point remains the same.

It's not the tool that should be feared, it's just an inanimate object.

It's the person using it who should be feared.
    Amen!
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatepuppy View Post

What if I drink tea, not coffee? Is the mug just as dangerous?
    Didn't your mother teach you to use a teacup???
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

If we just banned humans, the problem would be solved! Oh, wait - we ARE humans .... hmmmm ....
    Just for the record?

Coley Mitchell, Lab Tech, Found Drunk, Partially Clothed, Surrounded By Escaped Monkeys

Coley Mitchell, 32, was arrested for public drunkenness after being discovered in a locker room intoxicated, with his pants half down and two lab monkeys running around.

A lab tech at Georgia Health Sciences University may have engaged in too much monkey business.

Officials jailed Coley Mitchell, 32, on August 13 after he was discovered intoxicated with his pants down in a campus locker room.

In the same room: two lab monkeys who had been let out of their cages, the Augusta Chronicle reported.

Mitchell smelled of alcohol, according to police reports, and became belligerent and combative when asked to leave the room.

Mitchell was booked on charges of public drunkenness, but was released on Aug. 17, and has since been terminated by the university, a spokeswoman told The Huffington Post.

"GHSU does not condone behavior that conflicts with the research, education and clinical missions of the university and employees are expected to conduct themselves, at all times, with integrity and respect," Jennifer Hilliard Scott, senior media relations coordinator, in a statement to WJBF-TV made before the termination.

Meanwhile, the monkeys that were found running loose have examined by a veterinarian and found to be unharmed, WRDW-TV reported.

---------------------------------

"GHSU does not condone behavior that conflicts with the research, education and clinical missions of the university and employees are expected to conduct themselves, at all times, with integrity and respect,"

And the monkeys get away with a slap on the wrist?

If I had a choice - I'd lock myself in a cage until the cops showed up.

Primates, Humans.........nope.
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    250,000 vehicles in the US? That's an very poor estimate, as is the 25% of adults owning firearms.

according to the census bureau, in 2006 there were 48,000 deaths in motor vehicle accidents.

In that same year there were 13000 homicides involving firearms.

You can parse, twist and adjust statistics however you care to, but the end result is the same. you are far, far more likely to be killed by a motor vehicle than a firearm.
    Well duh! If there are far, far more motor vehicles than guns that stands to reason. But it doesn't mean vehicles are more dangerous than guns. It just means there are more of them. If you want to make this argument you have to look at vehicle deaths to number of vehicles as compared to gun deaths to number of guns.

You would tear me to pieces if I made such a sloppy argument...You can do better than that!

In my case, I know how to use a teacup, sure, and own many, but a mug hold much more, and keeps its temperature better!
    I've Been Frosted

Ha ha! I never use a teacup, I prefer mugs!
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Besides, if you hold the teacup just so, the dogs probably look at you funny.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

13. To me the wonder of pets is that they love you...no matter how you hold your teacup...

In my case, I know how to use a teacup, sure, and own many, but a mug hold much more, and keeps its temperature better!
    Oh my goodness - that is just so socially unacceptable! What would the Queen think/say??
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

Oh come on, we all KNOW red solo cups are better