Page 47 of 48 FirstFirst ... 373839404142434445464748 LastLast

Thread: Gun control discussion

Saw a news report on a 'printable, plastic' gun that was successfully fired.

It was made on a used 8,000 dollar 3-D printer, some plans off the internets, about 40 dollars worth of material and about 6-8 hours of time.

The only metal part was a nail, used as a firing pin.

Quote Originally Posted by Alysser View Post
    Hehe, that's definitely some kind of accomplishment! I am lucky if I get a bullseye once in any round! If you use a Compound Bow and you still suck does that count as cheating
    Ha. Nope.

When I am gearing up for archery season (opens in late September, I start seriously shooting in late May) I shoot a dozen every day. I would shoot more, but my hunting bow draws at 68lbs so I don't want to wear my arm out too much. lol For me, the keys to accurate archery are 3 key points.

- Soft hands with your bow arm. Do not have too tight a grip. When you shoot the bow should naturally drop forward.

- Move your waist when making vertical aiming corrections, rather than moving your bow arm. You want your arms and head to be the same each time you shoot. This is especially true for tree stand type shooting. Being higher that your target changes the range you need to aim at. I need to get a range finder that takes angle into account.

- If you don't use one now, get a 'kisser button' on your string. That way you know that your form is correct each time you draw. A 'kisser' is a little piece on the string that you bring to the corner of your mouth when drawn and aiming.

Good luck!
    "Unlike most of you, I am not a nut."

- Homer Simpson

"If the enemy opens the door, you must race in."

- Sun Tzu - Art of War

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD View Post
    Saw a news report on a 'printable, plastic' gun that was successfully fired.

It was made on a used 8,000 dollar 3-D printer, some plans off the internets, about 40 dollars worth of material and about 6-8 hours of time.

The only metal part was a nail, used as a firing pin.

The people who developed it will put a chunk of steel in it to trigger airport alarms. Right now they are made of lego plastic - they're good for about 2 uses and they break. At the moment, 3D printers can't print big items. This was made in Austin, Texas. Somehow that does not surprise me.

It's made by Defense Distributors, a non-profit. http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/05...united-states/

Sad thing is this process can be used to build new ears, noses etc for people who lose them due to accidents or illness. There are good and bad uses for everything.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1 View Post
    The people who developed it will put a chunk of steel in it to trigger airport alarms. Right now they are made of lego plastic - they're good for about 2 uses and they break. At the moment, 3D printers can't print big items. This was made in Austin, Texas. Somehow that does not surprise me.

It's made by Defense Distributors, a non-profit. http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/05...united-states/

Sad thing is this process can be used to build new ears, noses etc for people who lose them due to accidents or illness. There are good and bad uses for everything.
    The chunk of steel is an 'option' and doesn't affect the use if the weapon.

I know, RICHARD. One can only hope that most people who might use this type of printer can't read the blueprints...

These printers are just more proof that gun control is a farce. You'd have an easier time nailing jello to a wall. Criminals are going to get weapons. Why disarm the populace and make it easier for them?

BTW, you don't need to be able to read blueprints to use these printers, it's as easy as downloading a file and hitting print.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    These printers are just more proof that gun control is a farce. You'd have an easier time nailing jello to a wall. Criminals are going to get weapons. Why disarm the populace and make it easier for them?

BTW, you don't need to be able to read blueprints to use these printers, it's as easy as downloading a file and hitting print.
    Oh ok, the head of DD was saying that he put the "blueprints" out there, but he could have been speaking figuratively. And yes, after that interview there was much discussion about gun laws etc.

They could always track who has those 3D printers - I mean, I think most folks would want the warranty on them! Even if they were sold or given to someone else, mandatory printer registration would give a bit of a trail to follow if necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1 View Post
    Oh ok, the head of DD was saying that he put the "blueprints" out there, but he could have been speaking figuratively. And yes, after that interview there was much discussion about gun laws etc.

They could always track who has those 3D printers - I mean, I think most folks would want the warranty on them! Even if they were sold or given to someone else, mandatory printer registration would give a bit of a trail to follow if necessary.
    Why trace an innocuous object like a printer? Create another black market? Someone with a mill, a lathe and a little skill could make guns in their home as it is if they were determined to.

It's not the tool, it's the sick individual behind the trigger you have to worry about.

We keep non-violent offenders in jail for comparatively heavy sentences for possession and possession with intent, but people who get jailed for violent crimes serve light sentences.

There's a whole bunch of things wrong with society, the availability of firearms of whatever sort isn't the problem. Banning firearms to reduce violent crimes is like putting a bandaid on a severed limb, stepping back, posing for the cameras and saying "there, all better, we fixed the problem!"
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    Why trace an innocuous object like a printer? Create another black market? Someone with a mill, a lathe and a little skill could make guns in their home as it is if they were determined to.

It's not the tool, it's the sick individual behind the trigger you have to worry about.

We keep non-violent offenders in jail for comparatively heavy sentences for possession and possession with intent, but people who get jailed for violent crimes serve light sentences.

There's a whole bunch of things wrong with society, the availability of firearms of whatever sort isn't the problem. Banning firearms to reduce violent crimes is like putting a bandaid on a severed limb, stepping back, posing for the cameras and saying "there, all better, we fixed the problem!"
    Does anyone still make zipguns? Homemade guns! I saw one made from a car antenna and rubber bands, the other made from billet steel- both were ingenious designs and the car antenna model was easy to make.

The steel gun was made from one piece of steel by a guy that worked in a machine shop and unless you knew what you were looking at, you'd never realize it was a gun.

---------------

Now that there is a 'plastic gun' you have to look at all the problems it brings.

Just like a Xerox machine, there will be ways to track who buys it - either through sales/repair records.

Just like the sale of the meds that make meth, you probably will have to show some kind of ID to buy materials to make a gun?

You'll have to register the down loads of the program and how will they be tracked? The same way pirated music is tracked and those laws enforced?

Then you have to look at the viability of making a gun that probably won't last more than a few shots, has to be reloaded after each shot and may blow up in your face.

Although a disposable plastic gun makes certain crimes easier, I would not want to get into a shootout with one.

Something about watching Wile E. Coyote having a gun blow up in face that makes me hesitate.

Lost in all the media sensationalism.....

http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/n...,3022693.story

Gun crime has plunged in the United States since its peak in the middle of the 1990s, including gun killings, assaults, robberies and other crimes, two new studies of government data show.

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD View Post
    Now that there is a 'plastic gun' you have to look at all the problems it brings.
    I've read about the plastic gun. I heard on the news that they're using a similar type of copier technology to develop tissue for burn patients and children born with malformations of their ears. But my question is this: if the gun is plastic, will it be able to pass through a metal detector without being picked up? Would the manufacturer have to "tag" it somehow?
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

The "manufacturer" would be anyone with a 3-d printer, and basic computer skills. The ammo, however, would still show up on a metal detector. Without ammo, the firearm is useless. (Unless of course you have some of the experimental rounds that the Army was using in one test variant of the M-16, but the bullets were still metal, even though the casings and primer were plastic)

Any USA citizen can manufacture a firearm legally, as long as it isnt for sale, without a serial number or "tag". This is true without using a 3D printer. I could make an AK-47 out of a shovel and it would be completely legal. No 3D printer needed.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
    Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.

Quote Originally Posted by blue View Post
    Any USA citizen can manufacture a firearm legally, as long as it isnt for sale, without a serial number or "tag". This is true without using a 3D printer. I could make an AK-47 out of a shovel and it would be completely legal. No 3D printer needed.
    The difference is that most people would be physically incapable of making an AK out of anything besides a pile of AK parts.

What has the Brady bunch in a tither is that with 3-d printers anyone who can press the "print" button on a PC can make one.

15. Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    Justify my need to kill?

Are you off your meds? WTH?
    Apparently you have run out of your "little blue pills" again! Need to sublimate! Make sure everyone knows how...

And ...as you will surely call me a troll or whatever...please show me the "rules" about how often one must post to be considered a legitimate poster? I see some folks who haven't posted in AGES and I missed where you bullied them for it???