Page 5 of 48 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun control discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Edwina's Secretary View Post
    I know the answer to this quiz! Ownership of pets has the same thing to do with gun ownership that gun ownership has to do with individual rights... nothing.

Because I cannot own an atomic bomb my individual rights are not compromised in any way...
    Nice strawman.

The right to keep and bear arms (legally restricted to small arms) is guaranteed by the Constitution. This has been affirmed by the SCOTUS. It doesn't matter how many restrictions you put on legal ownership of firearms, criminals will still get their hands on them.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

2. Then perhaps it is time to change the constitution.

It was written in a time when "arms" meant something very different than it does today -- by men who thought owning slaves was unpleasant but legal and that only rich white men should be allowed to vote (sounds like the Republican Party today!) Folks who channel the founding fathers - a game I think best left to oujia boards and parlor games - are always saying what they would have wanted. There is simply no way they could have imagined the world as it is today. The best line I have read about this is that what the founding fathers would have wanted was running water.

So many of the guns criminals get their hands on are stolen from homes..."protected by Smith and Wesson." That gun on your dresser? Burglars like cash, jewelry and guns. So while you're out walking the door what is to stop those crackheads from breaking in and taking that very convenient gun?

As for the Supreme Court affirming the right to own guns...what about ...

Congress passed the first set of federal laws regulating, licensing and taxing guns in 1934. The act was challenged and went to the U.S. Supreme Court in 1939. Franklin Delano Roosevelt's solicitor general, Robert H. Jackson, said the Second Amendment grants people a right that "is not one which may be utilized for private purposes but only one which exists where the arms are borne in the militia or some other military organization provided for by law and intended for the protection of the state." The court agreed unanimously.
    Here's the thing. Things change. I would hope, as a country, we would be intelligent enough to recognize when it is time to change.

Why change something that doesn't need to be changed?

Creating a scapegoat for a problem, doesn't and will NOT, stop the problem.

And for anyone wondering, I am as close to the middle as you can get in the realm of politics. If guns were banned, I am sure that Burglar would really start liking that set of butcher knives in the kitchen to. I am sure they'd also enjoy the use of the gun they have despite the fact that guns are banned.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Alysser View Post
    Why change something that doesn't need to be changed?
    Will you allow that some people..lots of people in fact DO believe it needs to be changed? Or must everyone believe as you do? I would consider myself middle of the road as well. I just don't like going to the movies and wondering who is packing heat.

I respect your position. Can you extend me the same?

So many of the guns criminals get their hands on are stolen from homes..."protected by Smith and Wesson." That gun on your dresser? Burglars like cash, jewelry and guns. So while you're out walking the door what is to stop those crackheads from breaking in and taking that very convenient gun?
    True, but there is no doubt in my mind, criminals will always have guns whether it is stolen off my dresser or not. They would love to see all of us law abiding citizens hand over our guns. That way, they wouldn't have to worry when robbing someone, on the street, or in a home, having a gun.
    I am asking, those of you, who are against guns, what would you do if someone did break in your house while you were home? I seriously would like your thoughts on this. It puzzles me.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Then perhaps it is time to change the constitution.
    Indeed my arguement from the very begining. Make it so..... LEGALLY.

It was written in a time when "arms" meant something very different than it does today -- by men who thought owning slaves was unpleasant but legal and that only rich white men should be allowed to vote (sounds like the Republican Party today!)
    HA! Are we getting THIS pathetic dear? LOL

Folks who channel the founding fathers - a game I think best left to oujia boards and parlor games - are always saying what they would have wanted. There is simply no way they could have imagined the world as it is today. The best line I have read about this is that what the founding fathers would have wanted was running water.
    So, the study of history is for naught? You heard it here first folks. What actually happend matters not... Me thinks, my dear, that you should do a study on the writing of those men. Perhaps a study upon what the word 'militia' meant to the people who wrote it? You know, that silly context thing. (I know, 'history' and understanding it is SO last century....)

Here's the thing. Things change. I would hope, as a country, we would be intelligent enough to recognize when it is time to change.
    +1 For a long time, the social acceptance of a person defending themselves has been vilified. Look at where it has gotten us. When will we begin to stand up against evil and fight back against it as free people have a right to do? History tells us what is required to be truly FREE. The simple choice is ours to make. Cower to evil or fight it? Speaking as a father and a husband... I DO NOT want to have to do ANY harm to any one... But I am grateful for the right to protect my life (and my wife/childs life) with force if necessary.
    "Unlike most of you, I am not a nut."

- Homer Simpson

"If the enemy opens the door, you must race in."

- Sun Tzu - Art of War

Quote Originally Posted by Puckstop31 View Post
    Indeed my arguement from the very begining. Make it so..... LEGALLY.

HA! Are we getting THIS pathetic dear? LOL

So, the study of history is for naught? You heard it here first folks. What actually happend matters not... Me thinks, my dear, that you should do a study on the writing of those men. Perhaps a study upon what the word 'militia' meant to the people who wrote it? You know, that silly context thing. (I know, 'history' and understanding it is SO last century....)

+1 For a long time, the social acceptance of a person defending themselves has been vilified. Look at where it has gotten us. When will we begin to stand up against evil and fight back against it as free people have a right to do? History tells us what is required to be truly FREE. The simple choice is ours to make. Cower to evil or fight it? Speaking as a father and a husband... I DO NOT want to have to do ANY harm to any one... But I am grateful for the right to protect my life (and my wife/childs life) with force if necessary.
    Didn't hear anything that was said lost me with the two demeaning "dears"
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

Quote Originally Posted by caseysmom View Post
    Didn't hear anything that was said lost me with the two demeaning "dears"

Taken. And telling. Who cares what the truth is... As long as you say it 'nice'? I reckon that is our current President got elected?

I will never claim to be a good writer. I realize I am fighting against the wind on this site.... All I will say is history DOES matter. Context matters. Trivialize it because of how you choose to hear words at thy own peril.

Its rather clear that very few are open to changing thier minds here and that my point of view is the extreme minority. What does that tell you?
    "Unlike most of you, I am not a nut."

- Homer Simpson

"If the enemy opens the door, you must race in."

- Sun Tzu - Art of War

Quote Originally Posted by Puckstop31 View Post
    Taken. And telling. Who cares what the truth is... As long as you say it 'nice'? I reckon that is our current President got elected?

I will never claim to be a good writer. I realize I am fighting against the wind on this site.... All I will say is history DOES matter. Context matters. Trivialize it because of how you choose to hear words at thy own peril.

Its rather clear that very few are open to changing thier minds here and that my point of view is the extreme minority. What does that tell you?
    I know your above that, that is why I pointed it out. I know your not a mcp but someone else might think so reading that. I don't have strong opinion on the gun issue, see both sides.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

10. Quote Originally Posted by chocolatepuppy View Post
    I am asking, those of you, who are against guns, what would you do if someone did break in your house while you were home? I seriously would like your thoughts on this. It puzzles me.
    Leave. Far safer than trying to "out gun" someone. But then again...who said something about that???

Will you allow that some people..lots of people in fact DO believe it needs to be changed? Or must everyone believe as you do? I would consider myself middle of the road as well. I just don't like going to the movies and wondering who is packing heat.

I respect your position. Can you extend me the same?
    I will even go as far to say, I believe some thing needs to change. Whether it be the constitution, gun laws, or how we handle psychopaths - something DOES need to change. I didn't mean to make it sound like everyone should have my opinion, but yes, of course I can respect yours.

12. Quote Originally Posted by Alysser View Post
    I will even go as far to say, I believe some thing needs to change. Whether it be the constitution, gun laws, or how we handle psychopaths - something DOES need to change. I didn't mean to make it sound like everyone should have my opinion, but yes, of course I can respect yours.
    Thank you Alysser...I appreciate that!

Leave. Far safer than trying to "out gun" someone. But then again...who said something about that???
    If someone's coming through my kitchen or front door, I will not be able to get out! Sorry I'm in the wrong thread with this. I thought the thread was titled GUN CONTROL DISCUSSION. I thought there were people trying to make me give up my gun. Sorry, next time I'll read the title right!
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Loaded gun in the bedroom = scary!

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Quote Originally Posted by catlady1945 View Post
    Loaded gun in the bedroom = scary!
    I think I missed the point of this post. If you're implying that a spouse could use it against the other, then you don't have all the facts.

I've made it quite clear that I do not like guns, nor do I own one. However, if I lived alone with no other humans here, then I probably would reconsider having one at my disposal, for my own protection. I highly doubt that 2 little 11 and 12 pound dogs would deter anyone from breaking in and doing who knows what.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~