Page 18 of 48 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun control discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Edwina's Secretary View Post

Unfortunately we will hear about gun owners' rights and the politicians will be too scared to do what they should do.

Rights that the vast majority of gun owners have never abused.

The politicians should be scared to touch basic rights. If they weren't I'd worry.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Quote Originally Posted by aTailOf2Kitties View Post

gun laws are a tricky issue for sure. But every time there are rumors of tightening the reigns on gun owners, they just go out and buy more while they still can, trust me.

You can't tighten the reigns on the owners, but we can & should ban the sale of "assault " type weapons with the potencial to kill a whole bunch
    of people with little effort by the shooter. Tell me what good use you know of for a weapon that shoots so many rounds of ammo in just minutes?
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Assault weapons are a scam foisted on the public to scare people.

I can think of a number of formerly legal yet now banned (they AWB killed the companies that made the weapons) semi-auto .22s that were banned because of cosmetics under the unlamented AWB. They were no more dangerous than a squirrel hunting rifle, but they looked scary!

The action of the weapon means absolutely nothing, unless you're going to restrict people to single shot weapons. and even then it's a specious argument.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

4. Excuses, excuses, excuses. Don't change anything...don't fix anything because in 1776 ...blah...blah...blah.

It is so sad.....

Excuses, excuses, excuses. Don't change anything...don't fix anything because in 1776 ...blah...blah...blah.

It is so sad.....
    Who has said don't change or fix anything?

I mentioned repairing a very large and real loophole in current law. The gun show loophole account for a miniscule number of transactions. Just like the Assault Weapons ban, it's pointless window dressing with no real impact for anyone other than lawful gun owners.

Adding mental health records checks to the NICS system would close a huge loophole which allows many to acquire firearms who shouldn't have them.

Quote Originally Posted by catlady1945 View Post
    Blah, blah, blah ... still clinging to the right to have guns in your bedrooms.
    If you're gong to insist on discussing this like a juvenile, please find another thread to pollute.

Excuses, excuses, excuses. Don't change anything...don't fix anything because in 1776 ...blah...blah...blah.

It is so sad.....
    While we're picking nits, the US Constitution was debated and passed in 1787, became the law of the land in 1789, and the Bill of Rights was ratified in 1791. without the accompanying bill of rights, the Constitution would not have passed, as the states felt that the unmodified document gave the Federal Government too much power.

Read this on another site:

People are already offering up solutions to this tragedy. There isn't one.

Evil people exist. They always will. Some people are simply born broken. They want to rape, kill, hurt, whatever.

You can prepare for them, look out for them, and do your best to be vigilant, but you can't legislate them or counsel them to not be broken.

Quote Originally Posted by aTailOf2Kitties View Post
    Two police officers were shot and one of them was killed by a 15 year old in Memphis today.
    That's awful. Police officers, my goodness. Gun laws are a very tricky issue indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human
    Adding mental health records checks to the NICS system would close a huge loophole which allows many to acquire firearms who shouldn't have them.
    LH, a comment, though- mental health advocates aren't going to like this one; they are going to argue for the person's right to privacy. But I think my right to be safe from a person with a history of mental illness purchasing a gun trumps that person's right to privacy. If you step up to a counter and say you want to buy a gun, you should be prepared for your background to be checked. You don't like that, don't buy a gun. Or they will just get around it by acquiring a gun illegally.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom View Post
    LH, a comment, though- mental health advocates aren't going to like this one; they are going to argue for the person's right to privacy. But I think my right to be safe from a person with a history of mental illness purchasing a gun trumps that person's right to privacy. If you step up to a counter and say you want to buy a gun, you should be prepared for your background to be checked. You don't like that, don't buy a gun. Or they will just get around it by acquiring a gun illegally.
    There's no need to violate privacy, just have the system set up to flag the app for mental illness without specifying what the illness is. If the individual feels that they are being unfairly targeted for whatever reason, then let them go to court and have a judge rule on the issue.

I know people with absolutely immaculate records who could legally own firearms due to the NICS not having anything to do with a mental health check. Frankly a couple of them shouldn't be able to have anything more dangerous than a flexipen, but because their mental competency isn't part of the equation, they can legally own firearms if they so desired.

the more I think about it, there are similarities between guns and pitbulls. People who have either one generally love them and don't want to give them up. Anyone who has been attacked or shot, wants them all destroyed or heavily restricted. Responsible owners can safely use dogs or guns to protect family and property, and irresponsible folks collect and show either of them off for "street cred" or to do harm.

They said on the news this evening that the guns the guy used to kill the people at the school and his own mother, were all legally owned, by her!!!

Though I come from a hunting family, I hate guns. Specially the assult types. I don't buy the reasoning that you need one of those to go hunting. You don't need one to kill a deer or even a moose. Those are used for slaughtering on a large scale.

I also know, that if someone wants a gun badly enough they will get one. Even if gun sells were now banned, there are enough out there to arm a small nation.

So, I guess it boils down to I don't know the answer on gun control.

Where I would start, is putting metal dectors and an armed security guard or two in all the schools. Lock the schools down after a certain time each morning and not let any one in unless they are serched by the guards and go through the metal dectors. I know it will make the shools like prisons, but that is better than having children slaughtered. As for the cost: I'd think the gov would do well to cover that cost. I'd rather my tax dollars go for keeping children safe than sending money to countries who hate us.

Just my opinions! (don't yell at me when you disagree, my blood pressure is high enough)
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    MY BLESSINGS:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

13. Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom View Post

There are so many ways to get a gun that do not involve a background check! Gun shows, buy from your neighbor (or perhaps the guy who was trying to sell some guns last week and accidently killed his - what was it - 7 year old son??)

And I am talking about legal guns.

So excuse me for getting the YEAR in the 18th century wrong. It was still the 18th century. This is the 21st. Times change. Firearms change and increase in KILLING ABILITY. The country is bigger and full of more people than could have been dreamed of in 1776 or 1787 or 1789 or 1791.

The world is too different to hang your hat - or your "instrument of death" - on what was acceptable in the 18th century.

Unless, of course, you think that leeches and cupping are still great medical treatments???

Emeril Legasse is selling knives on a TV shopping network.

Anyone with a credit card can buy these.

We need laws to protect people.

------------------------------

The 'assault rifle' didn't come into play in this incident.

It was in the car - the damage was done with two easily concealable guns.

------------------------

The media covering this are a bunch of effing morons - I am watching Nancy Grace, waiting for the mention of her twins ........I especially find the interviews of the kids, "WHAT DID YOU SEE???????" to be so cruel and irresponsible - The lyrics of the song Dirty Laundry come to mind....

This is a brutal and senseless act by some idiot with guns he took from his mother.

The reporters use terms like "lethal weapon" - If you take the bullets out of a gun does it make it non-lethal?

Two pistols used, and now every gun on the planet is suspect?

-------------------------

I can see some yoyo being told he cannot buy a gun, walking out of the shop and running over 10 people because he's ticked off.

I am more afraid of some doofus with an ICBM or a handle on some material to make a dirty bomb.

-------------------

I make my living off the Evening News
    Just give me something-something I can use
    People love it when you lose,
    They love dirty laundry

Well, I coulda been an actor, but I wound up here
    I just have to look good, I don't have to be clear
    Come and whisper in my ear
    Give us dirty laundry

Kick 'em when they're up
    Kick 'em when they're down

We got the bubble-headed-bleach-blonde who