Page 6 of 48 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun control discussion

Gun control will NOT keep guns out of criminals' hands. Criminals will break any laws you put forth to try to "prevent" them from committing crimes. All gun control does is punish law-abiding citizens.

I am firmly against gun control.

facebook

2. Quote Originally Posted by chocolatepuppy View Post
    If someone's coming through my kitchen or front door, I will not be able to get out! Sorry I'm in the wrong thread with this. I thought the thread was titled GUN CONTROL DISCUSSION. I thought there were people trying to make me give up my gun. Sorry, next time I'll read the title right!
    Not entirely sure what you mean. There is a difference between sensible gun laws and making people give up their guns. "Control" is the key word. Making it harder to buy guns...this guy in Wisconsin...a known hater/neo-nazi, etc. was able to legally buy guns. Looking at the kinds of guns people can own. And concealed carry - that is so scary. When Gabby Gifford was shot there was a guy in a pharmacy nearby who heard the commotion and had a legal gun in his pocket. He has said...his finger was on the trigger and he almost shot the guy giving Gifford first aid.

A gun in the bedroom is indeed very dangerous. Most people sleep in their bedroom. To come out of sleep and have enough wits to outshot a bad guy? You could ask the cop in Pennsylvannia who recently shot and killed his son.

The guy who the police shot yesterday in NYC. He had a knife. He was the only fatality of the incident. What if it had been a gun? In Time Square?

You want to keep a gun in your home...as long as you can assure me it will not be stolen and used to shot others - fine. I just don't want to be in school/the movies/the grocery store/the shopping mall with some who is carrying a weapon! My personal liberty - you know?

Isn't it amazing how we in other parts of the cilvilized world survive just fine without owing a gun?

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Yeah, isn't that something, Randi.

People who are opposed to gun control say the criminals and bad people will always be able to get guns but the good people won't have any means of defense then.

By that logic, in countries like Denmark and Canada and England where the people can't all arm themselves for self-protection, the criminals in those countries will still have guns. So... why aren't the gun violence and death rates in those countries much worse than in the U.S.?
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

5. Amen! The gun-homicide rate per capita in the US is 30 times that of Britain and Australia. And by far - those people getting killed are NOT the bad guys breaking into your home.

In countries where they have gun bans, etc, crimes for other weapons, ie knives, are actually higher.

http://sob.apotheon.org/?p=1323

In or about 2006, there were about 60 million (actually closer to 58M, but we'll use the rounded-up number to be kind to hopolophobes) people in the UK as a whole, including Scotland.

In England and Wales alone — discounting Scotland — there were over 163 thousand knife crimes.

By the end of 2006, there were more than 300 million people in the US as a whole.

In the US as a whole, there were fewer than 400 thousand gun crimes.

In the UK, based on these numbers, there was one knife crime commited for every 374 people (rounded down).

In the US, based on these numbers, there was one gun crime committed for every 750 people — less than half a gun crime per 374 people (about 0.4987 gun crimes per 374 people, actually).

That means that, based on these statistics, you are more than twice as likely to be a victim of knife crime in the UK as you are to be a victim of gun crime in the US.
    Interesting read.

facebook

7. Quote Originally Posted by Jessika View Post
    In countries where they have gun bans, etc, crimes for other weapons, ie knives, are actually higher.

Interesting read.
    Interesting - except it leaves out something. How many of the victims of knife crimes died?

How many people have gone on mad knifing rampages in movie theaters, at worship services?
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwina's Secretary View Post
    Interesting - except it leaves out something. How many of the victims of knife crimes died?
    It's not like everyone who is a gun violence victim dies, either. Witness the U.S. Olympian Bryshon Nelson, shot twice in the legs who survived and ran in the Olympics.

It's hard to get statistics that show a whole picture, as everyone stating them seems to have one agenda or another.
    I've Been Frosted

10. Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    It's not like everyone who is a gun violence victim dies, either. Witness the U.S. Olympian Bryshon Nelson, shot twice in the legs who survived and ran in the Olympics.

It's hard to get statistics that show a whole picture, as everyone stating them seems to have one agenda or another.
    I agree with you Karen...comparing knife crimes to gun homicides isn't valid. But I can tell you, to phesina's point, I will take my odds in a movie theater with a crazed knife wielder over my odds in a movie theater with a crazed gun wielder! Or shopping mall...or house of worship, or grade school, or college lecture hall, etc. etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwina's Secretary View Post
    Not entirely sure what you mean. There is a difference between sensible gun laws and making people give up their guns. "Control" is the key word. Making it harder to buy guns...this guy in Wisconsin...a known hater/neo-nazi, etc. was able to legally buy guns. Looking at the kinds of guns people can own. And concealed carry - that is so scary. When Gabby Gifford was shot there was a guy in a pharmacy nearby who heard the commotion and had a legal gun in his pocket. He has said...his finger was on the trigger and he almost shot the guy giving Gifford first aid.

A gun in the bedroom is indeed very dangerous. Most people sleep in their bedroom. To come out of sleep and have enough wits to outshot a bad guy? You could ask the cop in Pennsylvannia who recently shot and killed his son.

The guy who the police shot yesterday in NYC. He had a knife. He was the only fatality of the incident. What if it had been a gun? In Time Square?

You want to keep a gun in your home...as long as you can assure me it will not be stolen and used to shot others - fine. I just don't want to be in school/the movies/the grocery store/the shopping mall with some who is carrying a weapon! My personal liberty - you know?
    I've seen many incidents where someone owning a gun saved lives, same as you're posting where it lead to more problems. I fail to see why a gun in my bedroom is very dangerous? It just sits there. But then, I'm not afraid of guns. Sorry I can't assure you it won't be stolen. But I would bet, if someone wants a gun to harm you, laws or not, they will get it.
    Do know, I'm not against sensible gun laws, such as, them being registered and background checks on potential owners. Just remember, the criminals will still have any type of gun they want, regardless of the laws.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Quote Originally Posted by Jessika View Post
    Gun control will NOT keep guns out of criminals' hands. Criminals will break any laws you put forth to try to "prevent" them from committing crimes. All gun control does is punish law-abiding citizens.

I am firmly against gun control.
    Well said!
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Quote Originally Posted by Jessika View Post

Interesting read.
    Are the rates of people being knifed in those countries as high as those of people being shot in this country?
    Death thought about it.

14. All gun control does is punish law-abiding citizens
    I am a law-abiding citizen. I do not feel at all punished by sensible gun laws. Indeed...I feel punished by the lack of sensible gun laws.

And I am not afraid of criminals breaking into my house. I am just not. I am afraid of people running around with concealed weapons. Very afraid.

So there you have it...I am firmly committed to gun control.

Isn't it a wonderful country where people can agree to disagree...well...most of them anyway!

Now if we are talking about sensible gun laws...like registration and background checks - of course I am all for that! That's like allowing people to drive without a road test or license and no car registration.