Page 8 of 48 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun control discussion

1. Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    A gun when used correctly doesn't kill.

A gun can be used to deter violence, put food on the table, punch holes in paper, there are many uses for them.

It very simply comes down to differing views of individual freedoms and rights. People who are for gun control and banning them will just never understand those of us who oppose those measures, and vice versa.

People will use many, many things to kill, a firearm just makes more headlines when it happens. More people are killed during their morning commute by accidents, yet no one wants to ban automobiles.

As to the licensing issue, license requirements vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, and mental illness CANNOT be considered for legal reasons.
    A gun deters violence - if it does so, by the threat to kill.

I don't go to the movies that often but I have yet to see the need to use a gun to get a box of popcorn.

Guns exist to kill. No other reason. You can try and whitewash it with target practice, detering violence, making holes in paper - doesn't change the fact a gun is designed to kill. That is all just - to use a term - strawman stuff.

Table saw, automobiles, knives...all have a purpose other than to kill. Or threaten death.

You want a gun in your house - that is your problem...you want to hunt wild animals...okay.

But when you bring your gun into my space - the movie theater, grade school, bar, shopping mall, Texas A&M....I have a problem.

You know what really scares me???....George Zimmerman and the people who defend him. Wannabe who has a gun and decides he knows better than the police - stalks someone for having the termity to wear a hoodie in the rain and shots him. And claims "stand your ground." So now I have to worry that if I am wearing clothing that someone finds offensive that person they can shot me....for walking while wearing offensive clothing!

Quote Originally Posted by Edwina's Secretary View Post

You want a gun in your house - that is your problem...you want to hunt wild animals...okay.

But when you bring your gun into my space - the movie theater, grade school, bar, shopping mall, Texas A&M....I have a problem.
    When you bring a 4500 lb vehicle into my space with intent to kill through negligence (applying eyeshadow, lipstick, reading the newspaper, talking on the cell phone while leaning over to change the radio station, combing hair) I have an issue with it as well. However, vehicles are an item of convenience for everyone, so that discussion would lead to political suicide for those who brought up the issue.

Frankly, those shouldn't be traffic charges, they should be attempted negligent homicide, but the proposal would never fly.

Again, I could kill far more people with a little planning and never touch a firearm...........and never doing anything illegal until the point of committing the crime, but you'd rather sensationalize crime and have bloody headlines to carp about than deal with reality.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

I see y'all had another shooting today, in the U.S. of A.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    When you bring a 4500 lb vehicle into my space with intent to kill through negligence (applying eyeshadow, lipstick, reading the newspaper, talking on the cell phone while leaning over to change the radio station, combing hair) I have an issue with it as well.

You mean like THIS?
    Name:  002.jpg
Views: 1111
Size:  92.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by catlady1945 View Post
    I see y'all had another shooting today, in the U.S. of A.
    Yes, we don't get the CBC down here, so we don't know what's going on all over the continent.

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD View Post
    You mean like THIS?
    Name:  002.jpg
Views: 1111
Size:  92.0 KB
    No, he means while driving! It happens on a frighteningly regular basis on certain roadways around here!

I will never forget the restraint my older brother showed one time when he drove into Boston to pick me up so I could go home for the weekend. We on Route 9, in traffic and on a hill, and the woman in front of us decided that because the light was red, that would be a good time to apply her makeup, with both hands. She just forgot to keep her foot on the brake, so her car started rolling back toward is. It was probably millimeters from his bumper when she finally came to and reapplied the brake, and that was after he backed up as much as he could without hitting the car behind us!
    I've Been Frosted

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Yes Karen - Boston is, without a doubt, the very worst city I ever drove in. Seriously - they drove like maniacs and like they were the only ones on the road - and that was back in the 60's. The right of way always belonged to them! I can only imagine what it's like now!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD View Post
    Yes, we don't get the CBC down here, so we don't know what's going on all over the continent.
    Here you go! Check it out on CNN.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/13/justic...html?hpt=hp_t1

I am sure he has heard about the Texas A&M shootings. He said "We don't get the CBC" meaning we don't often get news out of Canada. I know shootings happen there as well, but don't get the media play down here that American shootings do up there.
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    No, he means while driving! It happens on a frighteningly regular basis on certain roadways around here!

I will never forget the restraint my older brother showed one time when he drove into Boston to pick me up so I could go home for the weekend. We on Route 9, in traffic and on a hill, and the woman in front of us decided that because the light was red, that would be a good time to apply her makeup, with both hands. She just forgot to keep her foot on the brake, so her car started rolling back toward is. It was probably millimeters from his bumper when she finally came to and reapplied the brake, and that was after he backed up as much as he could without hitting the car behind us!

It was a little joke about the comment "bringing a vehicle into his space"

The guy that drove thru the house should have been on meds - he had a seizure and probably should not have been driving at all.

------------

Two kids were wounded here in LV over the weekend. It was a drive by and the two knuckleheads were caught and tossed into the clink. I guess that ain't news.

I think it snows there.

I think it snows there.
    Where?
    I've Been Frosted

Canada. Or, as some Brits say, "Canader". It does snow here - usually in the winter.

Some recent shootings (and non-shootings) in Canada:

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2012/07...n_1687933.html

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...-shooting.html

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/07/26...iving-magnotta

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/Un...968/story.html

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...r-charges.html

I may have missed one or two. It's been quite a summer...
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

I woke up from a dream with a cramp in my calf - I was going hunting and someone in the group fell on the back of my leg. Funny because I haven't been hunting in a while and don't own a livestock.

-----------------

I hate waking up and feeling I have to write because sometimes it's visceral and I am pretty crabby.

I just want to say that we are a stupid, arrogant bunch of people when it comes to 'gun control'.

Oh, my! people are carrying concealed weapons on the street!

So what.

--------------------------

I thought of our poor Isabel, Husky Mom, and wondered what SHE THINKS ABOUT GC.

Of course, Mexico is a place that is slowly becoming the Wild West when it comes to guns, stupid people and OUR IDEAS about GC.

We can whine and moan about it because we don't live in constant fear of some one breaking down the door to our home and killing us because of their stupidity.

And if we constantly live with that fear? Hide your head black plastic bag and make sure it's closed up tight so you don't see, heard, smell or taste the problems we have with guns.

Or better yet, go live in Mexico or some African country where guns are the law.

-------------------------

Take a look farther up the food chain and see what OUR Country, the prez and that AH Eric Holder think about Operation Fast and Furious.

That shows we really can 'contol our guns'.

I apologize for making light of the subject, but we are a brash, ignorant and stupid group.

Think about just being able to discuss GC here and on this forum.

In most of the world that discussion start at the tip of the bullet and ends at the wound it leaves.

I am sure we would be singing a different story anywhere else on the planet - it's amazing how hollow the arguement sounds when you read it out loud here on this board.

--------------------------------------

My comment about Canader was a little poke at just how little we know about what goes on outside our borders.

Sometimes a short look outside of our own 'selves' puts things into perspective and can really temper the conversation.

It's our arrogance that keeps us from seeing that 'our way' may not be as bad as we think it is, compared to the rest of the world.

Suck it up folks, things could be worse?

15. Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    When you bring a 4500 lb vehicle into my space with intent to kill through negligence (applying eyeshadow, lipstick, reading the newspaper, talking on the cell phone while leaning over to change the radio station, combing hair) I have an issue with it as well. However, vehicles are an item of convenience for everyone, so that discussion would lead to political suicide for those who brought up the issue.

Frankly, those shouldn't be traffic charges, they should be attempted negligent homicide, but the proposal would never fly.

Again, I could kill far more people with a little planning and never touch a firearm...........and never doing anything illegal until the point of committing the crime, but you'd rather sensationalize crime and have bloody headlines to carp about than deal with reality.
    You "miss" a big difference between my car and a gun. I cannot hide my car in a purse or pocket. I cannot fold it up and put it in an innocent looking gym bag while I stroll through the shopping mall looking for the "best" place to cause maximum damage.

I do not want to sensationalize crime...what an odd thing to say. It is. It sensationalizes itself. Dead is dead. And that is the reality we all have to deal with. Do you think gun deaths should be censored so we don't have to hear about them?

Maybe you are a demolition wizard - but that doesn't make that pesky reality any less real. You don't need training - you don't need smarts - you just need lots of hate and then you just buy (or steal) a gun...or two or three.