Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New foster I might not be able to help. OMG READ POST 8!!

New foster I might not be able to help. OMG READ POST 8!!

A customer has been TNRing ferals in her neighborhood, and she's been working on getting a litter that's been around recently. Sadly, all but two of the litter were killed by cars, but she caught the last two. She is keeping the female kitten, but she was in at work lamenting that she didn't know what to do with the male...she said he was still feisty and had an "eye infection", so she was not sure any shelter in the area would take the time/money to treat him. Me being a sucker/idiot, I offered to take him without looking at him first. I like taming down little beasts, and they're only about five weeks old so I figured it would be easy.

The taming part is going to be a piece of cake. He's a hissy boy, but today he hasn't had any food except what has come off of my fingers, so he's quickly learning to like the sight of me. Also I was able to pick him up, clean his ears, play with his feet, and get a good look at his eye without him freaking out.

The eye is going to be the problem. An eye infection would have been well within my means, and while it is infected, it's also micropthalmic and he has BAD entropion on both lids of his left eye. This is going to require surgery, which is not going to be do-able while my hubby's still out of work. I wish I wish I wish I had looked at him before saying "Sure, I'll take him!", but what's done is done. He's going to see my vet tomorrow and I'm going to get a quote for surgery, then contact the person who found him to see what she wants to do. Then, most likely, start contacting some of the rescues I've worked with in the past and beg for them to take him on.

I'm so sad...He's a darling brown tabby boy, and I wish I was going to be able to get him all fixed up myself. I can't stand to see him so uncomfortable, and now that I know what's wrong my eyes tear up every time I so much as think about what he must be going through. I'm calling my vet the moment they open tomorrow to see if I can at least get some pain meds on board ASAP.

Anyways, I just wanted to vent. This isn't my first time biting off more than I can chew, and it probably won't be my last, but I want to make sure that Captain Sparrow has everything in life that he deserves.
    Last edited by snakemama; 07-16-2012 at 05:11 PM.

After poking around, it seems the entropion surgery might not be as expensive as I was thinking it would be. I'll remain hopeful and keep this thread posted.

I was going to take pictures, but he WAS peeked at by a vet who shops at my store today and she warned me that I should keep him in a darkened area and avoid bright lights until his eye is looked at.

Pawsitvie thoughts and prayers for the little guy. I hope the surgery isn't too expensive. Bless you for helping him.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Oh Snakemama!

I SOOO feel your pain!

I've had two ferals, Lucyjean and Jackson since January, but I've been working with them since they were 8 weeks old. They'll be a year old next month. I'm now officially in the "double digits".

Because they're around my other cats and have each other to learn from, they're turning into wonderful house cats, although Lucyjean is still a little shy.

IDEALLY, if they could be kept together, they'd learn to adjust to being indoor only. On their own terms, in their own time. If not, then I'd put them BOTH back. But that's JMO. I've done TNR. It's so hard to put them back. But you can usually tell who absolutely, positively will not come around. It's a hard decision to make, but the best for all. I've been in animal rescue a long time and have had to make difficult decisions at times.

Is there ANY way this lady can take them both??? If not, because she does TNR, may she knows of some rescue org that might be able to help financially.

Another thing I would do is go through the yellow pages and call every single vet, telling them the kitten's story and BEG if ya have to. This poor little guy needs a vets help. I have a feeling the eye will probably have to come out. Ya do what ya gotta do for the animals.

Good luck and PLEASE, keep us posted.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Just a thought here, are there any veterinary colleges near you? If so, you might want to consider contacting them. Some vet schools run clinics and might be able to help or know of a place that will. Many prayers are being prayed for this little guy. Please let us know how things work out? Thank you and bless you for caring enough to help!
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

We are sending Our Prayers for Captain Sparrow, and we pray thta he is all right.

God Bless You for heling the Helpless!!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Jack Sparrow has an appointment with the white-coats for this afternoon. I'll be keeping the lady who found him posted, and I'll update here.

The woman who found him might be willing ot help out, because she's been having her ferals neutered at a regular clinic nearby for almost full price. I told her yesterday how one of the shelters in our area has free feral neuters Tuesday through Thursday if you can bring the kitty in a trap before the shelter opens thos mornings, and she had never heard of the program.

Oh. My. Goodness. I think I'm going to cry.

The good Dr. heard my story and offered to perform the surgery free of charge. For now I'm treating the eye infection, and when I get back from my family reunion in a couple of weeks, we'll re-check the eye and talk about scheduling surgery.

Also, he's FeLV/FIV negative (will re-test in a few weeks) and crusted with fleas, so he had a bath today. After the blood draw for the FeLV/FIV test he decided that maybe I wasn't teh scariest thing in the world and actually started cuddling up to my hands and purring.

Also, I have the green light to get some pictures. Jack is VERY upset after the vet visit, blood draw, and bath so i'm going to give him some time to regain his composure and eat. Pictures coming tonight!

How nice of him! We'll be patient about the pictures, I promise!
    I've Been Frosted

I read this on Facebook but wanted to comment here. This brought tears to my eyes. Such good news!!!
    How difficult do you think it will be to get him adopted? I might regret this later, but I might even consider taking him IF a home can't be found. I almost took another kitty with eye issues from ARF, but he was adopted before my deadline I gave myself. Please don't hold me to this though. It will need to be discussed in length with the BF.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Quote Originally Posted by Taz_Zoee View Post
    I read this on Facebook but wanted to comment here. This brought tears to my eyes. Such good news!!!
    How difficult do you think it will be to get him adopted? I might regret this later, but I might even consider taking him IF a home can't be found. I almost took another kitty with eye issues from ARF, but he was adopted before my deadline I gave myself. Please don't hold me to this though. It will need to be discussed in length with the BF.
    I have one customer who might be interested, she needs to chat with her husband. I'll keep you posted, but I don't anticipate any trouble placing him. He's a GORGEOUS kitty.

There are fantastic people out there! What a great guy!

I hope wee Jack feels better soon and can pose for some pictures! I look forward to seeing them.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

I heard him crying and went in to peek and snapped this picture:

Turns out he had finished his food and was demanding more. I'm glad his appetite wasn't affected by his bad day!

That's WONDERFUL news!!!! See? There ARE vets out there who actually care more about the animals than the money.

Great job, Snakemama!!!! Pictures please!!

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Donna, the doctor said he sometimes barters with his clients...he recently had the hospial repainted by an unemployed painter whose puppy had taken a tumble off the couch and broken both of his front legs. The man reapinted the hospital beautifully, and the puppy got treated. I don't have any cool skills like that to offer, but I did tell him that if anyone on his staff wants a free corn snake to call me!