Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cat Litter Toxic...

Cat Litter Toxic...

I'm waiting to hear the full report on the evening news but I keep hearing that cat litter could be toxic to us, especially women. Can't wait to hear the full report later. Geez, what would we do if we can't use litter???

"Happy is the home with at least one cat" - Italian Proverb

Every life should have nine cats. – Anonymous

"I've been frosted."

I know it's toxic to pregnant women. Toxoplasmosis is what is toxc to pregnant women. I'll be interested to hear how it affects women in general.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Quote Originally Posted by redbird View Post
    Geez, what would we do if we can't use litter???
    I don't know about you, but I'd go back to using the toilet. Okay - bad joke - but I couldn't resist.

Like Donna said, I've heard about the dangers to pregnant women, but nothing beyond that. And I cleaned litter boxes both times I was pregnant, and my kids weren't born with 2 heads or parts missing, so I don't know what changed over the years.

There is always litter made from other products such as corn or pine - maybe that's the answer.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by moosmom View Post
    I know it's toxic to pregnant women. Toxoplasmosis is what is toxc to pregnant women. I'll be interested to hear how it affects women in general.
    Yes I've heard that also about pregnant women, I hope this is nothing serious.

"Happy is the home with at least one cat" - Italian Proverb

Every life should have nine cats. – Anonymous

"I've been frosted."

Supposedly it can make women suicidal because of the "T-Gondii" parasite in cat feces. Yet it's reported that 1/3 of the population carries this parasite without issues. Oh please researchers - what next???
    Last edited by pomtzu; 07-06-2012 at 09:12 AM. Reason: OOPS ~~~"feces" - not "faces"
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

I suppose thousands of cats will be thrown outside or dumped in the shelter due to this report!!! Mine, I'm keeping them. It's simple, don't put your hand in your mouth after cleaning the litter boxes unless you wash your hands.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatepuppy View Post
    I suppose thousands of cats will be thrown outside or dumped in the shelter due to this report!!! Mine, I'm keeping them. It's simple, don't put your hand in your mouth after cleaning the litter boxes unless you wash your hands.
    There are always those who will respond to this new finding by going off the deep end! However, the parasite is found mainly in cats that are allowed outside, since they pick up this parasite from killing mice, rats, and other small animals that carry it. Humans can also get the parasite from handling raw meats and vegetables, so now do we eliminate them too??? Wash your hands, people, and quit pushing the panic button.
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

I read an article on that issue. It DID say that people who are more prone to suicidal behaviour might be more sensitive to T Gondii in the first place. Other way around, if you see what I mean.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

We should all quit eating, drinking and breathing - just to be on the safe side - since just about everything anymore, carries health hazards.
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

Hmmm... maybe there is something to a neuro-toxin parasite in litter..... I mean, how else could we explain the existance of cat crazy women?

I was sane and normal one day. Then *pow* I had a household of cats. It was the litter! Thank goodness I have a diagnosis. Whew.

Quote Originally Posted by catnapper View Post
    Hmmm... maybe there is something to a neuro-toxin parasite in litter..... I mean, how else could we explain the existance of cat crazy women?

I was sane and normal one day. Then *pow* I had a household of cats. It was the litter! Thank goodness I have a diagnosis. Whew.
    LOL!!!

No - it's not the litter - it's what you scoop out of the litter. Kitty Krap! If there's a way to eliminate that, then the problem is solved.
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

I did a massive facepalm when I read this because it'll lead to more dumped cats, IMO. When just some common sense (which isn't, unfortunately) like washing your hands after cleaning the kitty boxes will prevent problems.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

Well, everybody is sensitive to something somewhere. Look at the allergies on this board. Earlier this year I was on a BP med that causes panic attacks. But they don't advertise that. I think they enjoy scaring people.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    There are always those who will respond to this new finding by going off the deep end! However, the parasite is found mainly in cats that are allowed outside, since they pick up this parasite from killing mice, rats, and other small animals that carry it. Humans can also get the parasite from handling raw meats and vegetables, so now do we eliminate them too??? Wash your hands, people, and quit pushing the panic button.
    Only problem with inside cats, where were they 'before' I adopted them. Tessa was in a feral colony. Angel, who knows if she was ever outside? Tessa and Angel where around many cats at Petsmart and in foster homes on cage breaks. Missys mama cat went outside, she never did. RB Sassy, I found on the street. Just hoping people don't worry about that. I'm not. Why would you not wash your hands after 'digging for gold in the litterpan'?
    Good heavens, imagine the diseases and germs from my dogs? And I let them on my bed!!!
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatepuppy View Post
    Only problem with inside cats, where were they 'before' I adopted them. Tessa was in a feral colony. Angel, who knows if she was ever outside? Tessa and Angel where around many cats at Petsmart and in foster homes on cage breaks. Missys mama cat went outside, she never did. RB Sassy, I found on the street. Just hoping people don't worry about that. I'm not. Why would you not wash your hands after 'digging for gold in the litterpan'?
    Good heavens, imagine the diseases and germs from my dogs? And I let them on my bed!!!
    Absolutely. And cats can shed toxo without ever showing clinical signs of having it.

Bottom line, this is no bigger of a deal as it was before the news blew it out of proportion. That's their job, you know, scare tactics.

Oocysts passed in a cat's feces are not immediately infectious to other animals. They must first go through a process called sporulation, which takes one to five days depending on environmental conditions. Once sporulated, oocysts are infectious to cats, people, and other intermediate hosts.
    So you'd have to be in pretty unsanitary conditions, your cat is not a good groomer, or you yourself never wash your hands or bathe. Not saying you still couldn't get infected, but this isn't a very common thing. So clean your box every day, and don't allow your cat to walk across food preparation areas. You know, things we should already be doing lol

http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/brochures/toxo.html

facebook