Thread: Sucking dog

Sucking dog

My little guy has another strange (cute) behaviour... sometimes after playing with me he likes to suck the fleece blanket on the couch why do you think they do this??? do you have also such dog?
    To me its still a puppybehaviour... my vet said its because they feel alright ...what do you think about this???
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	t5-1.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	54117Click image for larger version. 

Name:	t7-1.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	51.5 KB 
ID:	54118

It is a normal behavior, it mimics suckling on his mom, which is a happy, comforting thing to do. Some pups outgrow it, some never do!
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    It is a normal behavior, it mimics suckling on his mom, which is a happy, comforting thing to do. Some pups outgrow it, some never do!
    he isn't a puppy anymore timmie is 1,5 years old they said (spanish adopted dog).. but in many ways he has his puppy behavior

Its a behavior that is believed more common in animals who are weaned too early. Since he's a rescue this may be the case.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Hmmm, sounds to me like happy puppy behavior lol. We had a kitten that used to suckle on her own tummy from being weaned too early. It was darling, and as she got older, she eventually stopped. I want to add in, also, that dogs can keep some puppy traits up to three years old. Ultimately, this is just what I have observed, if the behavior seems damaging in any way I would suggest seeking the advice of a professional - however, it seems harmless to me, just a puppy with his security blanket

Quote Originally Posted by ilovepets10 View Post
    Hmmm, sounds to me like happy puppy behavior lol. We had a kitten that used to suckle on her own tummy from being weaned too early. It was darling, and as she got older, she eventually stopped. I want to add in, also, that dogs can keep some puppy traits up to three years old. Ultimately, this is just what I have observed, if the behavior seems damaging in any way I would suggest seeking the advice of a professional - however, it seems harmless to me, just a puppy with his security blanket
    Thats what my vet said to a happy puppy moment... feeling security and feeling good...i have a cat too who do it but she is doing that at a grey pyama of me .. she loves suckling at the sleeve... it is total harmless .. i was just wandering what people would say about it..
    I think (i cant know about weaning too early or so) because he is a shelterdog... this year he was on awfull much places .. first spain in a deadshelter.. then a rescueshelter... then again adopted by people .. after two weeks dumpted to the organisation again... back to other people a sheltermom.... and after couple of months adopted by us since 4 weeks almost 5 weeks now... so thats quite much for a 1,5 year old doggy... He had to get used to all the situations to many people on short term so i guess he feel safe and secured now... I think also this little guy didn't get love too.. i know his sheltermom said he wasn't used to a homelife or so problably he had to live outside i spain before they found him as streetdog on beach.And suddenly he comes in a home by people who loves him, who feed him, who playing with him ; who taking him out for walks, who taking him in their car to get somewhere and he loves it all...

benjamin27 Guest

Sucking Dog

[QUOTE=Miranda60;2427166]My little guy has another strange (cute) behaviour... sometimes after playing with me he likes to suck the fleece blanket on the couch why do you think they do this??? do you have also such dog?
    To me its still a puppybehaviour... my vet said its because they feel alright ...what do you think about this???
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	t5-1.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	54117Click image for larger version. 

Name:	t7-1.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	51.5 KB 
ID:	54118[/QUOTE

My dog chewed many blankets and died. The vets said that an infection had occurred on the blaket which killed the dog.

RIP PLUTO