Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cat Litter Toxic...

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    Supposedly it can make women suicidal because of the "T-Gondii" parasite in cat feces. Yet it's reported that 1/3 of the population carries this parasite without issues. Oh please researchers - what next???
    Well I'm glad to see some information on this. I had watched the early and late newscast yesterday and they never mentioned anything on this subject. I knew if I came to a cat board, someone would know something. After reading this, I will not throw Autumn out of the house I love her too much

"Happy is the home with at least one cat" - Italian Proverb

Every life should have nine cats. – Anonymous

"I've been frosted."

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Quote Originally Posted by redbird View Post
    Well I'm glad to see some information on this. I had watched the early and late newscast yesterday and they never mentioned anything on this subject. I knew if I came to a cat board, someone would know something. After reading this, I will not throw Autumn out of the house I love her too much
    I didn't see anything on the news either, but I was curious after you posted about it, so I Google'd it. Good old Google - all you ever wanted to know at your fingertips! I really don't think my findings are anything to lose any sleep over tho.

Glad Autumn will keep her happy home.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Yea...ho hum. I don't put much thought into these government studies. Next week they will be telling us to eat cat litter for its nutrients.

Quote Originally Posted by happylabs View Post
    Next week they will be telling us to eat cat litter for its nutrients.
    Oh, that may be why Fister does it - and he is sixteen!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Are women who own cats a suicide risk?

“Cat ladies are more likely to commit suicide,” The Daily Telegraph states, evoking images of sad and lonely self-harming spinsters surrounded by hordes of meowing kitties. The reality is somewhat different.

The Telegraph’s story is based on a study that found that Danish mothers were more likely to have developed antibodies to the parasite Toxoplasma gondii if they self-harmed at a later date. T. gondii is a parasite that can cause toxoplasmosis, and hygiene is key to preventing it. It can be caught from cat faeces, unwashed vegetables, undercooked meat and contaminated water. It can also pass from a woman to her unborn baby if she is infected during pregnancy.

Toxoplasmosis reportedly affects approximately a third of people worldwide. In most people it causes no symptoms, but it can cause severe problems in pregnant women and in people with a weakened immune system. Previous studies have linked T. gondii infection to schizophrenia and self-harm. The current study investigated this link.

Just over a quarter of a cohort of 45,788 women who gave birth had T. gondii. Of the 45,271 mothers who had not previously self-harmed, only 1% later self-harmed. Women with antibodies against T. gondii were 53% more likely to go on to self-harm. However, this study does not prove that T. gondii infection actually caused the women to self-harm. There may have been various mental health, medical, personal or social causes which this study has not explored. Furthermore, this study looked at the association between self-harm and women with antibodies against T. gondii rather than those who owned cats. There is no need to get rid of Tiddles just yet.

There is a lot more to the article, if you would like to read on go here.

I have/had toxo. And, baby J is fine. I think. I get enraged when people use yet another reason to dump animals- this time, cats:

"Exposure to cats is not the only way that humans can be exposed to the parasite. In fact, it is not the most common way. In the U.S., ingestion of infected meat sources is the most common method people come in contact with the parasite. Although it is thought to be very rare, it is possible that some people are exposed through inhalation of dust contaminated with Toxoplasma oocysts."

I silently gag when I hear pregnant women say, "oh...no changing the litterbox anymore for me".

I only know that I cannot go near cat litter because of my immune system-- and I am not allowed to have cats or even be near them, much less pet them...if I do pet one then I have to wash my hands and use alcohol to rinse them. The doctor did explain the whole thing but it was long ago and I really don't pay much attention to all the details. I know it has something to do with cats harboring something in their gut... about all I do know,I just followed orders and don't have cats.
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----

Asiel, I think things have changed....BUT, of course, only do what you feel comfortable with.

Yes, a lady I know had e-mailed me a link about this. Here's the link is any one wants to read it: http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/201...nNI1scGA.email. I'm not afraid to be around cats or to clean their litter boxes. All of my cats are indoor only and they've all been dewormed too. I'm not going to be getting pregnant either so no worries there. There's always something on the news that tries to scare people and there are so many every day things that they now say can cause cancer. We can't live in fear because if we do then why live at all.

Quote Originally Posted by mrspunkysmom View Post
    Well, everybody is sensitive to something somewhere. Look at the allergies on this board. Earlier this year I was on a BP med that causes panic attacks. But they don't advertise that. I think they enjoy scaring people.
    Some of those women that died might well be sensitive to toxoplasmosis. But I think they jumped the gun drawing conclusions. There are still too many variables to explore.

One Percent of us are sensitive to wheat flour. Maybe we should ban that!

I always use gloves when working in the kitty room. Sometimes I wear a face mask if the litter is dusty.

Yes, a lady I know had e-mailed me a link about this. Here's the link is any one wants to read it: http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/201...nNI1scGA.email. I'm not afraid to be around cats or to clean their litter boxes. All of my cats are indoor only and they've all been dewormed too. I'm not going to be getting pregnant either so no worries there. There's always something on the news that tries to scare people and there are so many every day things that they now say can cause cancer. We can't live in fear because if we do then why live at all.
    I agree. I've heard tales about cat scratch fever my whole life. I've met women whose Ob-gyn insisted they get rid of the cats. I believe it's different if the women have been around cats their whole life, but that's my opinion.

Why do people keep harping on cats and disease? It's like our own version of BSL. Blaming the dog and not the owner. JMHO!!
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)