Thread: Cat Litter Toxic...

Hybrid View

Cat Litter Toxic...

I'm waiting to hear the full report on the evening news but I keep hearing that cat litter could be toxic to us, especially women. Can't wait to hear the full report later. Geez, what would we do if we can't use litter???

"Happy is the home with at least one cat" - Italian Proverb

Every life should have nine cats. – Anonymous

"I've been frosted."

I know it's toxic to pregnant women. Toxoplasmosis is what is toxc to pregnant women. I'll be interested to hear how it affects women in general.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Quote Originally Posted by moosmom View Post
    I know it's toxic to pregnant women. Toxoplasmosis is what is toxc to pregnant women. I'll be interested to hear how it affects women in general.
    Yes I've heard that also about pregnant women, I hope this is nothing serious.

"I've been frosted."

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Supposedly it can make women suicidal because of the "T-Gondii" parasite in cat feces. Yet it's reported that 1/3 of the population carries this parasite without issues. Oh please researchers - what next???
    Last edited by pomtzu; 07-06-2012 at 09:12 AM. Reason: OOPS ~~~"feces" - not "faces"
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

I suppose thousands of cats will be thrown outside or dumped in the shelter due to this report!!! Mine, I'm keeping them. It's simple, don't put your hand in your mouth after cleaning the litter boxes unless you wash your hands.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatepuppy View Post
    I suppose thousands of cats will be thrown outside or dumped in the shelter due to this report!!! Mine, I'm keeping them. It's simple, don't put your hand in your mouth after cleaning the litter boxes unless you wash your hands.
    There are always those who will respond to this new finding by going off the deep end! However, the parasite is found mainly in cats that are allowed outside, since they pick up this parasite from killing mice, rats, and other small animals that carry it. Humans can also get the parasite from handling raw meats and vegetables, so now do we eliminate them too??? Wash your hands, people, and quit pushing the panic button.
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    Supposedly it can make women suicidal because of the "T-Gondii" parasite in cat feces. Yet it's reported that 1/3 of the population carries this parasite without issues. Oh please researchers - what next???
    Well I'm glad to see some information on this. I had watched the early and late newscast yesterday and they never mentioned anything on this subject. I knew if I came to a cat board, someone would know something. After reading this, I will not throw Autumn out of the house I love her too much

"I've been frosted."

Quote Originally Posted by redbird View Post
    Well I'm glad to see some information on this. I had watched the early and late newscast yesterday and they never mentioned anything on this subject. I knew if I came to a cat board, someone would know something. After reading this, I will not throw Autumn out of the house I love her too much
    I didn't see anything on the news either, but I was curious after you posted about it, so I Google'd it. Good old Google - all you ever wanted to know at your fingertips! I really don't think my findings are anything to lose any sleep over tho.

Glad Autumn will keep her happy home.
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

Quote Originally Posted by redbird View Post
    Geez, what would we do if we can't use litter???
    I don't know about you, but I'd go back to using the toilet. Okay - bad joke - but I couldn't resist.

Like Donna said, I've heard about the dangers to pregnant women, but nothing beyond that. And I cleaned litter boxes both times I was pregnant, and my kids weren't born with 2 heads or parts missing, so I don't know what changed over the years.

There is always litter made from other products such as corn or pine - maybe that's the answer.
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

Well, everybody is sensitive to something somewhere. Look at the allergies on this board. Earlier this year I was on a BP med that causes panic attacks. But they don't advertise that. I think they enjoy scaring people.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

Quote Originally Posted by mrspunkysmom View Post
    Well, everybody is sensitive to something somewhere. Look at the allergies on this board. Earlier this year I was on a BP med that causes panic attacks. But they don't advertise that. I think they enjoy scaring people.
    Some of those women that died might well be sensitive to toxoplasmosis. But I think they jumped the gun drawing conclusions. There are still too many variables to explore.

One Percent of us are sensitive to wheat flour. Maybe we should ban that!

I always use gloves when working in the kitty room. Sometimes I wear a face mask if the litter is dusty.

Yes, a lady I know had e-mailed me a link about this. Here's the link is any one wants to read it: http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/201...nNI1scGA.email. I'm not afraid to be around cats or to clean their litter boxes. All of my cats are indoor only and they've all been dewormed too. I'm not going to be getting pregnant either so no worries there. There's always something on the news that tries to scare people and there are so many every day things that they now say can cause cancer. We can't live in fear because if we do then why live at all.
    I agree. I've heard tales about cat scratch fever my whole life. I've met women whose Ob-gyn insisted they get rid of the cats. I believe it's different if the women have been around cats their whole life, but that's my opinion.

Why do people keep harping on cats and disease? It's like our own version of BSL. Blaming the dog and not the owner. JMHO!!
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)