Thread: How do you say ... ?

How do you say ... ?

In college I had, at one time or another, roommates from Canada, Mexico, France, Germany, China, and Russia. The Canadian roommate told me something about which I had never given much thought: "I'm an American too!" Subsequent conversations led me to realize that even though I had done so ignorantly, it had been presumptuous of me to presume that an American is necessarily a citizen of the United States.

So, a citizen of France can say: "I am French;" a citizen of Germany can say: "I am German;" a citizen of China can say: "I am Chinese."

I can say, "I am an American," or "I am American;" but how do I emphasize the fact that I am citizen of the United States, without having to say the long and full-of-verbiage "I am a citizen of the United States?"

Of course, there does enter the issue of ethnicity. A citizen of China need not be Oriental; would he then still be Chinese?

On this Fourth of July day, may I send a "shout out" to those around the world who are not citizens of the United States. May I say that I wish all of you the same freedoms that we (up until now, at least) have enjoyed.

A Happy 4th July to you, too! As you know, John was born in England, but lived and worked in Germany, France and Denmark from he was 21 (in that order) until he died. In all these years, he kept his British citizenship and he was proud of it. He would always say to people who asked: "I'm British". In Denmark he got a lifelong permit of residence. However, he was not allowed to vote, neither here nor in England. He could vote at the Municipal elections, though.

Btw, by saying "I am a citizen of the United States?" doesn't neccesarily mean you're American, you could be Norwegian and live in the US.
    Last edited by Randi; 07-04-2012 at 10:31 AM.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Residents of other countries in North, Central and South America sometimes tease us with that, but it's okay to say "I am an American," - most people will understand what that means. Nearly everyone identifies by their country, instead of their continent, on Australia gets a whole continent to itself!
    I've Been Frosted

Happy Independence Day!

I must say, Randi did you proud with this siggy you have! Well done, Randi! First time I've seen this one. What an amazing family you've created!

Interesting topic, I too remember when I suddenly realized there were a whole lot of countries in the Americas, lol.

I guess I would say I am a US citizen, and that I am American. Dunno....I cant say it has ever come up in everyday convo, or ever caused any real confusion.

Happy 4th Willow!
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla