Thread: My dog is tearing up the grass!!

My dog is tearing up the grass!!

My spaniel mix, Mindy has started doing something the last month which I can't figure out. In the backyard, she has started tearing out tufts of grass, shaking it and tossing it aside. She's not eating it, it's like she's hunting for something. It's not the whole yard but a large circle size area, basically my yard has a bald patch. She has always hunkered down in the grass and will stalk bugs in the yard but has never done this type of behavior. She seems fine otherwise and it's not like she doesn't have activities. I take her to doggie day care once a week and to a semi-wild park area where she can run and run. We play during the week when I get home so I'm not sure what is causing this. I've had her for a year now and she didn't do this last year at this time. Of course, I'm taking her to the vet for a checkup. My old girl before her never did this. She is obsessed with this! Has anyone seen this in their dog?

while she's being exercised (not sure how your daily plays last).. this behavior tells me she still has a LOT of energy.. spaniels have a lot of em.. and this, to her, is entertaining.. and may be not getting enough to drain her stamina..

try get her some toys which challenge her mind.. ones that keep her busy.. some treat dispensing ones..
    Corinna´s Christmas Card Swap ´06
    dedicated to a lovely woman who won many hearts along her life...........
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

http://365project.org/isabelle/365

Are you sure there's no chipmunk, mole or other varmint that she might be hearing underground?
    I've Been Frosted

I was sort of wondering if maybe there are moles or shrews she's hearing as I do get a few every year. Maybe I need to get her some earplugs!

MAybe contact an exterminator and ask if they can check for such things! After all, your lawn cannot get much worse, right?
    I've Been Frosted

I think too she needs more things or toys to play with, try to find ones that would interest her.
    In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semi human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog. ~Edward Hoagland

2.5 years old dachshund Dan

There may be some sort of distinct smell that triggers this digging/eating, such as a ground hog or chipmunk. Have you noticed any holes or signs that animals have been in your yard? It also sounds like your dog is very energized. It is great that you take it to the dog park but it may be so crazed when it goes outside that it is tempted to eat and let out energy. I would say your dog is trying to make itself throw up, but that is only if it's consuming the grass. This sounds like it's just littering the yard. Nonetheless, I would consider looking further into what may be causing this in your yard and not so much from your dog. Even with all of the yard tearing up, aren't dogs great?