Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Do we dare discuss the Supreme Court decision re: Healthcare

In an ideal world, preventative care catches conditions before they cost six figures to treat and send one into bankruptcy. In the real world, a lot of people cannot afford this.

In an ideal world, doctors prescribe appropriate tests. In the real world, our litigious society almost forces MDs to prescribe the kitchen sink.

In an ideal world, Republicans and Democrats would have crafted the ACA together. In the real world, this didn't happen.

I can't help but think about the kerfuffle over Medicare Part D, aka Prescription Drug Coverage. The world was going to end then, according to certain pundits. As far as I can tell, it's still here.

Bottom line: let's give the ACA a chance to work before chucking it out.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Me thinks this will be a very long thread.................
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by smokey the elder View Post

In an ideal world, doctors prescribe appropriate tests. In the real world, our litigious society almost forces MDs to prescribe the kitchen sink.
    Do you really believe that health care has gone to hell in a hand basket because of too many tests? How about the argument that doctors aren't allowed to practice medicine because of what the insurance company mandates?

To really get a good understanding of the "malpractice crisis", read this article.

http://www.rwjf.org/pr/synthesis/rep...no8_primer.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    Me thinks this will be a very long thread.................
    Someone on FB posted this picture of a guy with a microphone and the caption was, "Brace yourselves. Everyone on FB is about to become a constitutional scholar!"

Very funny.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Quote Originally Posted by Cataholic View Post
    Do you really believe that health care has gone to hell in a hand basket because of too many tests?
    Funny you should say that. There are many things I don't bring up with my PCP that maybe I should. Why??? - test-test-test - that's how he is. I have enough trouble without finding more that I wasn't expecting.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Someone on FB posted this picture of a guy with a microphone and the caption was, "Brace yourselves. Everyone on FB is about to become a constitutional scholar!"

Very funny.
    Here he is -

Thanks, Grace! I can't figure out how to post things on here...STILL!!

Do you really believe that health care has gone to hell in a hand basket because of too many tests? How about the argument that doctors aren't allowed to practice medicine because of what the insurance company mandates?
    The problem is BOTH!

I had bloodwork done. The list of tests was rather long, and I asked the doc about it.

They are required to run tests for things they don't think are problems, because the group and the insurance company has given them basically a list of "if you test for this you have to test for this too" as a CYA.

What the doc wanted to test me for pinpointed the issue rather quickly. The rest were just additional cost for all.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

My opinion on the whole medical system is that SOMETHING needs to be done, as it is unsustainable the way it currently stands.

What the something is, though, I'm not sure, besides the nagging feeling that this ain't it. I asked a Union rep well before the case was decided what this does to certain sections of our contract, as the contract defies part of the law. The response was "Oh, we didn't think about that". The law as it stands basically trashes one section of our CBA.

There are a myriad of issues with the current system, like treating emergency rooms as primary care offices, the billling and claims systems are a damned farce, the shell games in relation to contracting (doc A works out of hosp A, but isn't working for them, but a contract company, therefore all docs under the YZ name are PPOs for ABC ins. Co. is an expensive lie.....), and treating hospitals as nonprofits when they are very, very much for profit entities, regardless of the official status of the organization.

The biggest problem with the affordable health care act? Ask 3 different experts on the impact of the law, and get 3 different answers. To me that spells trouble, as it means no one knows what the real impact is going to be. That they passed such a broad piece of legislation without being able to quantify the effects is disturbing.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post
    Here he is -
    It's the hilt of a sword, not a microphone.

In addition, this is exactly the kind of derisive crap that makes peaceful discussions of politics impossible.

Disagreement isn't enough, you have to deride those who disagree with you and score "points" to win the argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post

In addition, this is exactly the kind of derisive crap that makes peaceful discussions of politics impossible.

Disagreement isn't enough, you have to deride those who disagree with you and score "points" to win the argument.
    Say what? You surely cannot be directing that towards me! I simply thought it was funny. Very funny. I wasn't deriding anyone. Sheesh.

And, ever since my eye injury, frankly, I don't see things that well, especially when I am looking at them on my phone, which was where I originally saw it. Sorry.

Again,

The HMO I worked for passed a 'secret memo' around saying that the providers were to curtail any 'unneeded tests'.

A friend took his son in to see about the kid's injured arm.

An ace bandage and a few hours later he went BACK TO THE ER and told the doc to x-ray the arm.

A broken arm, cast and six weeks fixed it.

-----------------------------

Forget the 'constitutional scholar' horse puckey.

Talk, no listen, to the people who see it from the inside....

Ask a med salesman about selling product to a hospital.

Go online and look at the costs for Zimmer, Synthes, Baxter products and what pills/meds cost.

(Don't forget to cost what the product cost to make, the testing and how many times it took to get it right-I don't begrudge the companies those costs, but when something goes wrong?)

MOFF,

the ten bucks charge was for toilet paper.

Say what? You surely cannot be directing that towards me! I simply thought it was funny. Very funny. I wasn't deriding anyone. Sheesh.

And, ever since my eye injury, frankly, I don't see things that well, especially when I am looking at them on my phone, which was where I originally saw it. Sorry.
    I agree with you - I thought it was very funny, which is why I posted it on my FB page.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post

Speaking of peaceful discussion:

"Former (Michigan) GOP Spokesman: 'Is Armed Rebellion Now Justified?' - http://www.michigancapitolconfidential.com/17151
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Quote Originally Posted by phesina View Post
    Speaking of peaceful discussion:

"Former (Michigan) GOP Spokesman: 'Is Armed Rebellion Now Justified?' - http://www.michigancapitolconfidential.com/17151
    The GOP in the State of Michigan is disgusting. From acting like petulant, pre-teens while banning two female Representatives from speaking on the floor - to this jerk with his "armed rebellion" comments. I'm ashamed to say I live here