Thread: Our 2 small dogs fighting all of a sudden, help please!!!

Exclamation Our 2 small dogs fighting all of a sudden, help please!!!

Hello everyone. Im new to the forum and need some help with a little problem I been having with our two muts. The one is a 7 year old chihuahua and the other is a pomeranian a little bit younger. Both are males and havn't had [been neutered]. They have always got along and played around with each other. The Chihuahua always humps the pomeranian and I think they might have broke up or something because 2 days ago they started fighting. I mean like they are fighting to the death. If the chihuahua looks at Pongo(pomeranian) he will start growling and going nuts. There was blood drawn from the pomeranian yesterday and we have to keep them seperated which is hard to do. I just dont know where to start at or whats wrong with them. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!!!

Do make a vet appointment and get them both neutered. There is no reason for them not to be, and it is far better for them in many ways to be neutered, it can save them from testicular cancer, amongst other reasons, and getting rid of the hormones coursing through their brains can only help. What kind of training have you done with them? Do they get plenty of exercise?
    I've Been Frosted

They havn't had any kind of training. They get plenty of exercise everyday. My dad has already planned on taking them to the vet to see what they think is going on with them. I'm lost on the situation because they have been like best friends for the past 6 years and now they try to kill each other when they see one another. Like a fight to the death.

I agree,
    step 1: health check at the vet
    step 2: both get neutered
    step 3: both get regular training
    step 4: both get organized exercise times with a human and without the other dog present. Do that for a week, maybe 2 weeks, then start the exercise together.

I am glad your dad is already going to take them to the vet. Getting them neutered, and then working on it so they can live peacefully together will be the next steps!
    I've Been Frosted

Usually two males together is not always a good idea. Get them both neutered, but it won't be a cure all. If they keep fighting you will have to keep them seperate, permanently.
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

The chihuahua doesn't hump the pomeranian because he likes him. Humping is a form of dominance. Perhaps the pomeranian doesn't want to back down anymore so the chihuahua feels the need to escalate his dominance. There's also a possibility of a female in heat living in the area and they can smell her. This can cause bad fighting among unneutered males.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

I'm glad to hear they are already scheduled to be taken to the vet!

I know it's already been said, but I'll echo the rest - neutering them will help curb a lot of behavioral problems, including dominance. Someone mentioned that there may be a female in heat nearby, and that's likely to be something that could have triggered them to act the way they are. But neutering is not a "magic behavior wand" - it will help curb, but not completely solve, behavioral problems in all cases. Talking with your vet is the first step in solving this. Make sure there isn't anything else medically going on with either dog, get them neutered, and see if your vet recommends a trainer or behaviorist in your area.

Good luck!

facebook