Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Farewell dear Sherbie

Hybrid View

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens

Farewell dear Sherbie

My dear little free spirited kitty, Sherbie, is now truly free. He departed his earthly body at 12:40 this afternoon, as he started his final journey to Rainbow Bridge.

He had been on the decline for the past few weeks, and tho he was eating enough for 2 cats, he was wasting away to nothing. He looked like a walking skeleton with fur on it, and had lost so much muscle mass that he had difficulty walking, but he still wouldn't let go. Then he stopped eating except for a couple of bites, a couple of days ago, and I knew the end was near. I told him it was okay to go, but he just kept holding on. It broke my heart to see this once robust cat, just a shell of what he once was. So this morning I made the decision for him, and took him in to the vet for his eternal rest. The ride in was so eerie. In the 9+ years that he owned me, he never meowed - only chirped and trilled - but he meowed the entire ride in. The end was quick and peaceful thankfully. He got a sedative to knock him out, and then the final injection. I petted and talked to him the entire time so that he would know I was with him.

I brought him home, and my son will prepare a grave in one of his favorite spots that he liked. I have the ashes of his best buddy RB O.C. who departed 4 years ago, and I will bury them together, so they will never be parted again. It's only right that I do that. Those 2 were inseparable partners in crime (raiding bunny nests and other adventures), and now they can be together once again. I have some flagstone, and will make a marker for them.

I'll miss that boy something awful, but he is at peace now, and I will find peace in time with that also.

RIP Sherbie. We all love you.........
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0158.JPG 
Views:	127 
Size:	509.4 KB 
ID:	53931   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF3839.JPG 
Views:	125 
Size:	856.7 KB 
ID:	53932   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Misc 2012043.JPG 
Views:	129 
Size:	925.5 KB 
ID:	53933  
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Oh, Ellie, I'm so sorry.

RIP, dear Sherbie, and Peace to your family. Godspeed to the Bridge, honey, your Mom will miss you so.
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!

Sweet Sherbie, the outdoor kitty, the one who just showed up and stayed. I am glad you were able to help ease his path and end his suffering, Ellie. I know how difficult it is. Run free Sherbie! Hugs Ellie.

Rest in peace, dear boy!
    I've Been Frosted

Play hard at Rainbow Bridge Sherbie!
    Nancy

All things work together for good to them that love God.
    (Romans 8:28)

I've been defrosted-- Thanks, Sana

Oh, I am so sorry. What a beautiful boy, so beloved.

Sherbie is whole and healthy again at the Rainbow Bridge, where he and his best buddy O.C. await the grand reunion.. One Fine Day... Love is eternal, and you are all together always.

My deepest sympathy to you and your family and all who love him so much. God bless you and bring you peace and comfort.

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

I am so sorry to hear of Sherbie's passing and your loss. You gave him a home and love for 9 years and now he will look in on you from above at the Bridge.

Rest easy, Sherbie, and play hard at the Bridge.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

Rest in peace dear Sherbie. I'm very sorry Ellie.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Oh Ellie, I am so sorry about Sherbie.

RIP sweet boy.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Blog Entries

sherbie

RIP dear sherbie.. be with all the kitties at the rainbow bridge that you are with.. when you see the earth you remember all the good times with your partner and know that someday you will be united with them again.. i dont know why but when ever i read about a kittie passing on here i cry about it for a bit. the ones that go are in peace. 20120621.0542

I'm so sorry about your sweet Sherbie.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Thank you all for your very kind comments - they mean a great deal to me, even tho the tears started again as I was reading them.

And yes - I believe that his meowing to me in the car, was him telling me that he was ready to leave, and he was glad that I was there to help him. That plus the fact that he wanted me to know that he really did know how to meow. I'm just so thankful that he wasn't a typical cat, one that would wander off somewhere to die by himself, and he wanted to be with me to the very end, knowing that I would give him a proper and respectful burial.

Thankfully my son and grandson were here to dig the grave (in the 100 degree heat) - a very nice spot along a line of junipers that he and O.C. used to hide in and pretend that they were big wild tigers, just waiting for some unsuspecting bird or squirrel to come close so that they could pounce. They seldom caught anything, but they had fun trying. My son started work on the marker last night - he is engraving Sherbie & O.C.'s names into the flagstone with an electric engraving tool and it's looking so nice so far. I took Sherbie's mat and a quilted blanket that he had in his Little Red Cat House and washed them, then wrapped he and O.C. together in them. I cut a couple of orchids off of my orchid plant and put them on top, and my son stuck a piece of velcro on the blanket too - for Velcro Kitty as he was also known, since he stuck to Sparky like velcro after O.C. passed on. It was so strange to walk out the back door first thing this morning and not have him sitting on the railing to the porch, and that paw reaching out to pat me and fuss at me to feed him. It will take some getting used to him not being there.

I didn't sleep much last night for thinking of him and remembering some of the things he did. How he jumped down out of a tree and landed on the hood of my car and slid off - and left his claw scratches in the paint so I wouldn't forget about it - how smart and well behaved he was also. He never went by the road, and only occasionally into the front yard to lay on the front porch. Sometimes he would start to follow me as I walked out to the mailbox, but I would turn and point to the house and say "get back there", and he would turn around and go back. How he accidentally got locked in my car for a few hours, and my son saw him with his front paws up on the dashboard just looking out the window. You could not leave a car door open with that boy around, without checking to make sure he didn't sneak in it.

He gave us so many memories over the years that we will never forget. Thank you Sherbie, for letting us be a big part of your life.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

I am so sorry to hear about Sherbie; Have fun at the bridge sweetie! Lots of love to you Ellie
    Lilith Cherry
    "
    "Love never claims, it ever gives. Love ever suffers, never resents, never revenges itself." -Mahatma Gandhi

I'm so sorry for your loss of Sherbie. It's never easy to say goodbye, but I believe you chose the right time to do so. Sherbie is at peace now and will soon be together with OC.

Rest in peace, Sherbie!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

I am so sorry to read about Sherbie, but he is now healthy and happy playing with his buddy again at the RB.

They are forever young and forever in your heart