Thread: Lexi is peeing EVERYWHERE - help!

Lexi is peeing EVERYWHERE - help!

I'm at a little bit of a loss as to what to do right now.

Lexi has started peeing everywhere BUT her litter box in the past few months. It's gotten really bad lately. I find it EVERYWHERE! She pees on the rug in front of our door, in my room (on clothes, on the floor), on my sisters SHOES...it's awful. Every time I find it I clean the area really well so it's not like she's smelling it and just peeing there because she smells the pee. We've got 4 litter boxes that get cleaned daily for 3 cats, so it's not like it's a matter of her being turned off by that.

She just turned 9 last week, which is one of the bigger reasons I'm starting to wonder if maybe it's something health related. Up until a few months ago, she was perfect. Even when we brought a 3rd cat into the house (and also when we brought our Basset puppy home) she didn't do anything of the sort.

She goes to the vet regularly and nothing strange has ever popped up, though she her last visit was about 4-5 months ago (she got a full senior check up and everything came back good then).

Right now, the room that houses all of the litter boxes is blocked off by a baby gate. It's to keep Babs out, but the cats can and do jump over it without too much difficulty. I know that she hates the baby gate in front of the door to my bedroom though, so I'm wondering if perhaps she's avoiding the gate? I know she can get over it fine, though.

*sigh* It's really disgusting, and I need to find a solution before my dad loses his mind completely.

Any thoughts as to what could be causing this? Any tips on how to get her to stop peeing everywhere and get back to using the litter box regularly?
    in on the joke and i cant stop laughing

First of all, if you are cleaning the spots with normal cleaners, she can still smell the "good pee spot here" markers after we humans cannot. You need to get a good enzymatic cleaner for that, or it will continue. Anyway, a trip to the vet is in order, many things could be causing this in a senior kitty like herself. The sooner the better, for everyone's sanity's sake!
    I've Been Frosted

Cats will very commonly stop using the litterbox when they have health problems because they associate the litterbox with their source of discomfort. Health issues can pop up fairly quickly, even something minor like a UTI, so I would recommend bringing her back to the vet to have it checked out.

As Karen pointed out, using an enzymatic cleaner for the urine spots is also really the only way to clean them; if its behavioral and you don't use an enzymatic cleaner, she will continue to urinate in the same areas because she can still smell it.

Good luck!

facebook

And get her to the vet for a checkup on this problem. She might have a urinary infection which can easily have come up since her last major checkup.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Like Catty1 said, to a vet ASAP to rule out a UTI. Especially at her age!!

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

I third that, get her to the vet NOW. A UTI can develop into other major health issues. This needs to be tested and ruled out, or treated. She is also uncomfortable and possibly in pain, depending how advanced the UTI has developed.

Once all health issues are eliminated (and there are a few others the vet can test for), then you have a behavior problem. Cleaning properly is going to be part of the correction. Another is to figure out what is bothering her: is it the baby gate? I can't remember what size dog you have. Some folks with large dogs can set the baby gate up about 4 inches off the floor. Rather than jump over, the cats scoot under. The dog still has a barrier. Another option is to raise the litter boxes - set them on top of a dryer, a chest of drawers. Be sure there is plenty of landing area in front of it. Then the gate can disappear completely.

But the first step is the vet visit.

I would bet dollars to donuts she does not have a UTI or any other health related issue. Most of the time, it is strictly behavioral. The thread one or two below this talks about this issue, as well as this one site: www.catinfo.org/?link=litterbox

I have tried to post it as a link half a dozen times and it doesn't work for me.

Read up on that...see if you can address it that way. Watch what you clean it with. Many products on the market simply do not work. I only use OdorXit. It works.

If your kitty gets a clean bill of health and is still ignoring the box, please try Cat Attract brand scoopable litter. Follow the included directions. I don't know how it works, but it totally worked for us.

Imagine being over 70 years old and having to jump over 4 feet to just get to a litterbox. My guess is she feels pain either from having to jump up or the jolt of landing on the other side.

Did you by ant chance change...

Her litter? Some cats do not like scented litter use baking soda in your litter to keep the smell at a minimum, Did you recently get a new cat? Or maybe she has a urinary infection that would cause her to do that also. Go to pet shop and buy spray that gets rid of the urine odor cause even if you use soap and water she will still smell the sent and keep going back there. You can get a black light to see id the urine stain is still there. If all else fails take her to vet and have her checked for urinary infection. Is your cat spayed or neutered she or he might just be marking his territory especially if there are other cats around. Even if they see them out the window.

Quote Originally Posted by JuniorxMyxLove View Post
    I'm at a little bit of a loss as to what to do right now.

Lexi has started peeing everywhere BUT her litter box in the past few months. It's gotten really bad lately. I find it EVERYWHERE! She pees on the rug in front of our door, in my room (on clothes, on the floor), on my sisters SHOES...it's awful. Every time I find it I clean the area really well so it's not like she's smelling it and just peeing there because she smells the pee. We've got 4 litter boxes that get cleaned daily for 3 cats, so it's not like it's a matter of her being turned off by that.

She just turned 9 last week, which is one of the bigger reasons I'm starting to wonder if maybe it's something health related. Up until a few months ago, she was perfect. Even when we brought a 3rd cat into the house (and also when we brought our Basset puppy home) she didn't do anything of the sort.

She goes to the vet regularly and nothing strange has ever popped up, though she her last visit was about 4-5 months ago (she got a full senior check up and everything came back good then).

Right now, the room that houses all of the litter boxes is blocked off by a baby gate. It's to keep Babs out, but the cats can and do jump over it without too much difficulty. I know that she hates the baby gate in front of the door to my bedroom though, so I'm wondering if perhaps she's avoiding the gate? I know she can get over it fine, though.

*sigh* It's really disgusting, and I need to find a solution before my dad loses his mind completely.

Any thoughts as to what could be causing this? Any tips on how to get her to stop peeing everywhere and get back to using the litter box regularly?