Thread: I'll Have Another will NOT have another race . . . sad

I'll Have Another will NOT have another race . . . sad

I was so disappointed and sad to read in today's paper that I'll Have Another will not be getting a chance to make history by (possibly) winning the Triple Crown Seems he has tendonitis and owners felt it best not to race him tonight, and also to retire him. I am glad they are focused on what is best for his comfort and well-being. I was so looking forward to the race, and will still watch it even though I'll Have Another was scratched.
    AvaJoy
    =^.".^=

Avatar courtesy of Kimlovescats . . . many thanks!
    EvErY LiFe ShOuLd HaVe NiNe CaTs

It is sad, but I am glad they decided in the horse's best interest, and didn't try to numb him up and let him race anyway. I hope plenty of folks still watch the race, just to see not only who wins, but the beauty of horses in motion.
    I've Been Frosted

I'm concerned horses are being bred more for speed than sound bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by Freckles View Post
    I'm concerned horses are being bred more for speed than sound bodies.
    That is a legitimate concern, however I can say that injuries in horses, whether they race, jump, walk trails or even just as a part of normal life out in paddocks are VERY injury prone. I never realized how much before I got into watching a lot of different horsing events and having a close friend around horses often, who has been through multiple injuries and issues just with her own 2 horses. I used to dream of having my own horses, but at this point if I even had the means I'd be living in some paranoia!
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge

If you want to know the truth about horse racing, check this out from NPR.
    http://www.npr.org/2012/05/10/152363...dangerous-game

There will always be opinions and articles stating one way or another, but the real truth as I have learned through the years of watching horses in all types of events is that they are large, powerful animals and thus injuries occur commonly and are unfortunately commonly fatal. This is true in racing or even in a paddock. Steeplechasing is actually much worse with fatal injuries than flat track racing. It's also ironic to me that some people protest racing but have nothing against horse competitions in the Olympics. I have seen articles on Olympic competing horses with fatal accidents. Even a well known pony had a fatal accident. The beautiful dancing gray mare (Blue Hors Matine) that was a sensation on Youtube died as the result of an accident in the paddock:

http://www.horsetalk.co.nz/news/2010/01/134.shtml

And another:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/07/sp...mpetition.html

People of course generally already have their minds made up, especially if they have seen/heard a highly publicized tragedy, but I do think people should also be aware how easily this can happen in any activities with horses. There tends to be far more cruelty going on with other equine events that aren't generally considered dangerous, Tennessee Walking Horse showing has some of the most abominable.

Just some things to consider.. otherwise bowing out of this conversation .
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge

My neighbor breeds horses for harness racing.

To my knowledge, none of his horses have been injured at the track. His brood mare, however, injured her leg in the paddock and had to be put down.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    My neighbor breeds horses for harness racing.

To my knowledge, none of his horses have been injured at the track. His brood mare, however, injured her leg in the paddock and had to be put down.
    Awww, poor sweet Daisy! When I met her, he said she had a leg injury when she was raising, and that's when she retired from racing, but he loved her too much, and knew that leg could heal, so he kept her to be a brood mare. Sorry to hear he lost her to another injury. At least we know she was well loved.
    I've Been Frosted

One of my favorite customers has two horses who are retired and spend most of their day out grazing in the sunshine. One of them is on total stall rest for a YEAR because she slipped in the mud after a light rain and damaged her leg and cracked her skull. She was nearly euthanized on the spot, and she may still have to be, depending on how well this injury heals. Horses are so delicate.

I'm thankful that I'll Have Another's people care so much for him, he's a lucky horse.

I've seen many horse races, and years ago I worked as a groom at a track but watching the finish of the race last weekend I was disturbed to see the jockeys flogging the horses with those crops. I don't know why it never alarmed me before. It looked so abusive and violent that even my husband remarked that they should outlaw the whipping. I had a pleasure horse for 25 years and I know their hide is tough, but still . . . it must be painful and is yet another injustice horses are being made to endure.
    AvaJoy
    =^.".^=

Avatar courtesy of Kimlovescats . . . many thanks!
    EvErY LiFe ShOuLd HaVe NiNe CaTs