Thread: Reintroduction after a long "hiatus"

Reintroduction after a long "hiatus"

I figured since I've been back posting a bit after about a 3 year absence, I would give those of you who care an update on my situation now, since it is vastly different than it was when I was last here.

When I "left" PT, I was enrolled in vet tech school, married, living with my in-laws with their pets as well as my own (Jamie and Charlie, two Aussies, and my two kitties Shelly and Double-Oh, along with my Russian Tortoise Leo).

Now I am divorced, living with my incredible boyfriend of 1 1/2 years that I've known close to 11-12 years or so now (longer than my ex!); he lived in Southern Alabama (12+ hours away) but moved up here to be with me last year.

Charlie, Double-Oh, Shelly, and Leo are all currently living with my ex. At the time of our separation, I went to live with my parents and I didn't want to inconvenience them more than I already was by moving back home with a horde of animals in tow, so I took the least intrusive pet with me - Charlie. After about a year of living at my parents, a scuffle broke out between my sisters' dogs and Charlie (It's still very unclear what happened as I didn't witness it, only the aftermath), and Charlie was attacked and bleeding everywhere. Thankfully it was my day off from work, so I drove him up to work and we had to sedate and stitch him up. Here he is a few days later on the mend, there are MANY lacerations you can't see in this pic but this gives you a good idea.

Somewhere in that time frame, too, I adopted a stray feral kitty that came in to work. She was TERRIFIED at first, and wouldn't come out of my bedroom closet. Over time, though, she slowly warmed up to me and we became inseparable. My intentions were to foster her, but when I found a home, I just couldn't find it in my heart to give her away. She was, and still is, my heart kitty. Sadly, I lost her at only 1 1/2 years old to congenital kidney failure exasperated by nibbling on an Easter Lily (living with my parents, a friend brought one home as a gift for my parents while I was at work. Both cats in the household nibbled on it, the other was fine, but Sophie.....). Doctors said the amount she ate should NOT have caused both of her kidneys to shut down and she had an underlying congenital problem that was exasperated by the toxin. The 10 months we spent together were the best I could have ever asked for. She came into my life when I was at my lowest (when my ex and I finally decided to divorce), and left when she saw I was in safe hands (when my boyfriend moved up here). Not a day goes by that I don't think about her or miss her sweet cuddles, kisses, and meows.

On top of that, I also lost my grandmother (who had been living in a hospice-situation at my parents' house also) the same week my ex called our marriage quits.

As time went on, the divorce became more finalized, and I got my own place, I told my ex that I wanted Jamie because the situations worked out better for the pets (he never takes the dogs to the park or on walks; Jamie is more high-energy and Charlie is lazy. Charlie makes a better shop dog with loud noises whereas they freak Jamie out). He threw a fit at first, but eventually gave in (probably because he had ALL THE OTHER PETS ).

So now I'm living with my dream boyfriend (honestly, I should have dated him from the start!!) and he has been the most amazing dad for Jamie by taking her on runs and walks and to the dog park while I'm at work (he works freelance from home). We also now have two cats, Voltron a brown tabby, and Pretzel a Lynx Point Siamese mix. I graduated school in summer '09, passed national boards [VTNE] and am currently working at a small animal clinic here in town.

It's amazing how your life can appear to be in shambles, but when you look back on it, it was just all a part of the remodeling process for a better life. And as much heartache I went through the past few years, every ounce of it was worth it for where I am today.

Pretzel (left) and Voltron (right):

Jamie (right) and cousins Juno (left) and Bubba (middle):

facebook

Whew, that's a lot of change - but we're glad you came through it all and are back with us! And thanks for the happy pictures, too!
    I've Been Frosted

Yeah it was a lot of life-changing to do in less than 1 year, considering I was blindsided by it all, but I am in such a better place now mentally, physically, and just all-around a happier person for having gone through it all

facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Jessika View Post
    It's amazing how your life can appear to be in shambles, but when you look back on it, it was just all a part of the remodeling process for a better life. And as much heartache I went through the past few years, every ounce of it was worth it for where I am today.
    I love this, I'm going through a lot of heartache and your post just brightend my day! I never knew everything you went through, and I been friends with you on fb since we both "left" Glad to see your back as well!
    Thanks so much Ashley for the siggy!
    Zoey Marie NAJ NA RN (flat-coated retriever)
    Wynset's Sam I AM "Sage" RA (shetland sheepdog)
    T.j (english setter)

Quote Originally Posted by Flatcoatluver View Post
    I love this, I'm going through a lot of heartache and your post just brightend my day! I never knew everything you went through, and I been friends with you on fb since we both "left" Glad to see your back as well!
    I was pretty private about the whole thing. Friends and family who were close to me knew, but I didn't really feel the need to make it extremely public, I didn't really want the attention. I started a new job 2 weeks before my ex asked me to leave, and nobody at work knew anything was going on until months later when I just broke down at work and had to miss a day. Of course, when I started dating my boyfriend now, people suddenly came out of the woodwork "What happened with you and HJ??", and I never replied to them... those were the people just being nosy and wanted to gossip.

I'm sorry to hear that you're going through a rough time too, but TRUST ME when I say... everything happens for a reason, and you WILL be better off for it in the end!!

facebook

Welcome back, Jessika!! We're really glad to have you back, and I have to say your post really made my day to. I am so glad you're so much happier. So sorry to hear that Charlie got hurt, that looks really painful. I am also glad to see Jaime back. You're a strong person for going through all that really. Welcome back!

Good to see you back! I was wondering where you'd went off to.

I'm sorry you've been through so much in your life in the past few years and that you don't have a lot of your animals with you, but at least you have Jamie and your two beautiful kitties!
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Lily [POMERANIAN], Brennan [APBT], Bailey [APBT/HOUND MIX]♥
    ♥Tallulah[CALICO], Domino [TUXIE]♥
    ♥Peach [RAT], Pepper [RAT], Phoebe [RAT], and PipSqueak [RAT]
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

“Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be,
    because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan
    Facebook TigerLily Photography

Thank you both!

It is really hard, there are nights that I'll have bad dreams about Charlie (hes an atopic dog and I had to give him Benadryl three times a day to try to prevent his allergies from popping up, but when he started scratching he'd scratch himself bald/bleeding and get hot spots and then he'd have to be on oral antibiotics and need a steroid injection just to make him comfortable) where he lost all his fur from scratching/etc... I KNOW my ex is not keeping up with the benadryl, he's only doing it once a day according to him (and I'm sure that's only when he remembers...). and I'll look at pics and just miss his goofy personality SO much... but I have to let it go. He isn't being neglected persay, he just isn't withholding the level of care I would have him at if I had him. He does keep his vaccines up to date and seek medical attention when he needs it. It's just hard, considering my ex has a baby now with the "lady" he left me for and I know the kid always comes first, so I do worry about Charlie...

facebook

I think that's normal for you to worry. Are you ever allowed to see him? And I am sure if he'd ever have to rehome Charlie for any reason, I am sure you're the first person he'd call.

Quote Originally Posted by Alysser View Post
    I think that's normal for you to worry. Are you ever allowed to see him? And I am sure if he'd ever have to rehome Charlie for any reason, I am sure you're the first person he'd call.
    I guess if I wanted to see him he would, but he'd give me trouble. Everything always happens on my ex's watch, not anyone else's. And personally I don't ever want to see my ex again or make him think I still have ties to him.

Granted, my sister will still go and visit my ex's parents at their shop, and Charlie is -always- there, so she gives me updates. Last she visited though was before Christmas

facebook

Good to see you back and moving forward with such a positive outlook.

I will miss you forever, my sweet Scooter Bug. You were my best friend. 9/21/1995 - 1/23/2010
    Goodbye, Oreo. Gone too soon. 4/2003 - 9/12/2011.
    Farewell & Godspeed, sweet Jadie Francine. You took a piece of my heart with you. 11/2002 - 8/8/2016
    Charlie kitty, aka: Mr. Meowy. Our home is far too silent now. 2003-6/14/2018