Thread: Are these bones ok?

Are these bones ok?

My mom got these bones from the butcher. I'm not really sure what they're called...so do you think they're safe to give the dogs if I watch them?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Clover, Loki, Shadow, Pixel and Kyo

They look like knuckle bones on the right side, and they should be safe. Just keep them refrigerated until you give them to them!
    I've Been Frosted

I gave them to Clover and Zeke. They love it. Zeke normally doesn't seem to interested in bones but not the case here. It still seems to have some meat on it which they love. I'll just keep a close eye on them to make sure it's ok

Clover, Loki, Shadow, Pixel and Kyo

The butcher shop a few towns over used to save any particularly big knuckles bones for Freckles, our Saint Bernard, and that was a big treat for her! We only allowed bones outside of course, and those were too big for her to try to smuggle back inside when she came in!
    I've Been Frosted

One on the left is a marrow bone - they will work and work to get the yummy marrow out of the center (I love it, as well, lol) I usually have the butcher cut those into shorter bits, so the pups can reach all the marrow.

The others, like Karen said, soup bones, knuckle bones, oh yeah they will enjoy those!

GOOD JOB!!!

I used to ask for knuckle bones from our butcher for my pups. The ONLY downside is the marrow is so rich that some dog's systems can't handle it and they will get diarrhea from it, so just be forewarned. But those are the best you can get, imo, if it doesn't upset their tummies.

facebook

I wouldn't feed the one on the left. It's bare bone... a weight-bearing cow's bone. Those are a recipe for cracked teeth! Not worth the $1000 surgery. :/ If you make sure you supervise and take it away if your dog is vigorously gnawing on it, it should be ok. But I've had bad experiences with marrow bones.

The one on the right is a knuckle bone, and those are the best for cleaning teeth! The knee bone is small, and covered in cartilege and fat. Just make sure you give it to them in short sessions to prevent tummy upsets (15-20 mins each) and throw it away once you can see the bone in the middle.

<3 Erica, Fozz n' Gonz

Those look like great Bones... too big for my guys though.

I let mine have Bones/chewable treats inside, but, they have a couple Throw Rugs for them to consume that type stuff on.
    Surprisingly, it didn't take all that much to train them to take their treats to the "appropriate" place to eat them. I just throw the Rugs in the washer after they get them soiled.

PS:
    On the Rubber backed (non-skid) Rugs, DON'T put them in the Dryer,
    it deteriorates the Rubber. I hang them outside till they dry out.
    Last edited by SWHouston; 05-26-2012 at 02:08 PM.
    Sneakers, Becca, Ichabod & NA'vi

Dogs know that you love them, whether you own them or not
    If you’re not watching FREE TV, you should be !

I prefer giving the marrow bones but not for too long at once because they can have upset stomachs. The problem with knuckles is small pieces connected by ligaments can come free once the meat is chewed through.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

That surely yummy and healthy for dogs, hope you get more for Clover and Zeke.
    In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semi human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog. ~Edward Hoagland

2.5 years old dachshund Dan