Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ongoing eye issues-UPDATE#14

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens

Ongoing eye issues-UPDATE#14

Well - needing glasses I could deal with. After going from 20/20 vision after cataract surgery 4 years ago, up until last Fall when it started to deteriorate to 20/40 in one eye, and 20/70 in the other at the present time, I resigned myself to the fact that I had to go back to wearing corrective lenses again. So they came in last week. Very pretty if I do say, but one small problem - I can't see out of them!!! The right side is fine (the better eye), but the left is still extremely blurry!!! Thinking that they made that lens wrong, I took them back on Thursday and presented my case. They checked the lens against the script and it was correct, then the tech checked my eyes again and said the strength was written correctly. I was told that since there was such a drastic decline in that eye over such a short period of time, it just might take me longer for me to get adjusted to it, and to give it a week, and if no better, then I was to come back and they would take it from there. I gave it thru Sunday - and that was an effort. They were making me dizzy and queazy and I just couldn't tolerate them, so I was back to the office on Monday. This time the doctor checked my eyes, and she tried every lens possible, and couldn't get me passed a blur in that one eye. So she said I needed to go back to their main office where they have all the latest and greatest in equipment and can do much more extensive testing, and to see the ophthalmologist there that did my surgery. And when she said I needed to get there sooner rather than later, she put a scare into me. She called the office herself and made me an appointment for Wednesday.

So off I went last Wednesday, figuring that I would have an answer that day as to what is going on. Had several more tests including laser photos of the inside of my eye, and it still showed no abnormalities or an explanation as to what's happening. So on the 15th I have to go back for 2 more tests - a field of vision test, and a fluorescein angiography, where they inject a fluorescent dye into a vein in your arm and this travels thru your bloodstream. They shine a dim blue light into your dilated eyes and this dye shows up as a fluorescent green and they can then view the blood vessels behind the retina to see what's going on there. But I still won't know anything that day, because the doctor has to review those results and go over my entire history and put the pieces together. Then I go back a week after that for the results.

It's looking toward the possibility/probability of macular degeneration, but I'm not going to panic before I hear that as a positive diagnosis. If that's what it is, then it's age related, as I do not have high blood sugar. The idea of losing my sight is just not very appealing to me.

So here I go again - appealing to you for those awesome and miracle working PT prayers. If you can spare some, I will be so very grateful.

Thanks friends - and I will keep you updated as I learn more.
    Last edited by pomtzu; 05-21-2012 at 03:44 PM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Dad has been dealing for years with AMD, wet in one eye and dry in the other. He can still drive, and they are constantly having him in for checks, etc., so it's not instantaneous blindness, Pom, and there are things they can do.
    I've Been Frosted

Thanks Karen. I know it's not total blindness, but what concerns me (if I do have MD), is the fact that it can't be reversed or cured - just maintained and in some instances - slowed down. My biggest fear is that I could eventually lose my ability to drive, and if I lose that, then I have lost the last of my independence! But I can't worry myself about that right now, and I'll cross that bridge if and when I come to it. Right now all I can do is wait for a diagnosis and hope for the best.
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

Jimini crickets, Ellie! Prayers from RI.

So right now are you wearing any glasses? For the eye that the glasses were good, can't they give you anything on a temp basis? This in itself must be annoying.

A businesswoman here in town had the "bad" MD. She had everything supersized on her computer monitor, including an extra monitor hooked up to her laptop for a bigger viewing area.

I saw her last fall and she had had cataract surgery. Neither she nor the doctors know how it happened - but her MD was gone!

Keep the faythe, as Mary would say...it ain't over yet!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    Jimini crickets, Ellie! Prayers from RI.

So right now are you wearing any glasses? For the eye that the glasses were good, can't they give you anything on a temp basis? This in itself must be annoying.
    No Sandie - not wearing any glasses right now. The good eye is good enough to get by with, and the other eye is fuzzy and blurry, so they really compete with each other if you can imagine how that feels. Kinda like I smeared vaseline on the bad one and that's the kind of vision I'm getting there. It just feels odd to be viewing everything with two totally different eyes.

DUH - well of course it's two totally different eyes - but you know what I mean.............
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

Oh Ellie, you sure have my prayers and good thoughts! I am losing my sight too but from diabetic retinopathy ( even though I have pretty good control of my blood sugar). I keep getting injections in my eyes to reduce the inflammation and laser treatments to seal off what blood vessels they can. I have had several angiographies which are not at all uncomfortable so no need to worry! ( They do make make your skin and your pee a little yellow for a day or two, lol). Still non of the procedures are painful so that is good!

I will be thinking of you!
    Lilith Cherry
    "
    "Love never claims, it ever gives. Love ever suffers, never resents, never revenges itself." -Mahatma Gandhi

I'm just catching this now, I was taken by surprise to say the least. Have to agree that that kind of news is something you don't need but don't lose hope. My uncle has had md for 4 yrs now and he goes in on a regular schedule to have shots in his eyes, so far he sees just as well as he did, drives and the md has not progressed. Another aquaintance also has it and takes shots also and he's doing great. The fear of losing their licence was depressing to both but both are driving and no trouble at all. Don't buy trouble just yet, relax and try to think positive, I know how easy it is to say this and I know hard it is to put it to practice and not be nervous but I'm praying that things will work out great Pom. You have a way of kicking butt when trouble strikes, you can do it again
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----

I'm sorry to hear that you're going through this. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent your way.

Thanks everyone! I'm not going to stress over it - no sense in spazzing and getting upset over something I have no control over, nor of that which I can't change. It is what it is - whatever "it" turns out to be.
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

Prayers, positive thoughts, good energies to you...

You have a great attitude! God bless.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Hoping for the best! As you said...ain't no sense in worrying about that which you cannot control.

Sending you good thoughts and prayers. Oh and purrrrrrs from Cali and Diego.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

Update, for anyone who might be curious. I had all of my tests and was back to the doctor for the results today. Good news/bad news! The good is that I don't have MD and the eye is healthy. Bad is, that since it isn't in the eye itself, then no lens can correct the blurred/double vision, and the problem lies elsewhere. So I have been referred to a neuro ophthalmologist in Baltimore for further evaluation and testing, but they couldn't get me an appointment before July 25th. It could be a number of different things causing the problem - none of which are good - and some worse than others. But again, it's nothing I can change. I could worry about it and make myself a nervous wreck, but then again, the world could end next week, and I'd have wasted my time worrying for no reason. So as you can see, I'm back to square one.

And on top of that, the glasses that were prescribed and are useless to me, they don't want to give me my money back. That's $300+ down the drain, and since I'm on S.S., then that's a good sized chunk of change. I'm pi$$ed and not done with them yet about that. The office manager said she would take it up with the doctor and get back to me tomorrow. Considering that I wore them for only a matter of hours, and nobody caught the fact (until after I bought them) that it was a problem with my eye that a lens wouldn't correct, then they sure as heck better make an exception to their rule.

So that's where things stand as of now. I don't know much more than I did a month ago - other than the fact that I know what it isn't!

To be continued..................
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

At least it's not MD! I'd call the office of the next doc again tomorrow, and ask that if there are any cancellations, you'd like an earlier appointment, please! Explain you are retired so very flexible schedule wise (if that's true).
    I've Been Frosted