Thread: The mmmrrr-Sound

Hybrid View

The mmmrrr-Sound

Isn't it just the cutest sound in their language? I just love it when they do that, like my Lily when she's greeting me by saying that.
    Or, when you approach them while they're resting (which I know you shouldn't do, but sometimes I just can't help it ), they'd sound like "mmmrrr?", like a question? I wonder what that means in our language! (most likely something like "Can't you just leave me alone, mom?")

I know, I love that sound! And, it does sound like a question they way it comes out. Love my kitties!

Cats have such a varied vocabulary - I am always amazed at the nuances that Eve exchanges with me when we "chat". Her "mrrr" sound is usually an answer to a question I might ask her - "mrrr" usually means "yes" - she has a completely different sound for "no" - hard to describe but it is sassy .

Another sound I love is "mrrrp" - it's a happy sound.
    Yours in Whiskers

I'm not young enough to know everything.

"The Best Mirror is an Old Friend"

“The secret of what is small is the secret of clear-sightedness; the guarding of what is soft and tender is the secret of strength.”

• Lao Tzu

Apparently that is a greeting - the mrrrp with the rising note at the end. It can also mean "you are pretty". I try that on my cats and get the sweet blinking eyes, which is apparently the human equivalent of blowing kisses!

Zoe makes a sound that I can only describe as "meep". It is quite soft but clear. One of her nicknames is now "Meeper".
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Sometimes I get an emphatic "Mrrrr!" Like, "Stop what you're doing, human, and pay attention to meeeeeeee!" But yes, most of the time "Mrrr" is a happy sound from Cassie
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Hi Kirsten,
    It's great to hear from you again! I definitely agree, I love when Groucho makes the mmmrrr sound. When I get in from work, we sit together and talk about what he did all day. He has quite a variety of sounds and each one is great. While I often wonder what our kitties are saying to us, at times I also wonder what's going on in their little minds.

Sending lots of lovies to Luna and Lily
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

I agree. I love that sound, too!

I will miss you forever, my sweet Scooter Bug. You were my best friend. 9/21/1995 - 1/23/2010
    Goodbye, Oreo. Gone too soon. 4/2003 - 9/12/2011.
    Farewell & Godspeed, sweet Jadie Francine. You took a piece of my heart with you. 11/2002 - 8/8/2016
    Charlie kitty, aka: Mr. Meowy. Our home is far too silent now. 2003-6/14/2018

Quote Originally Posted by momcat View Post
    Hi Kirsten,
    While I often wonder what our kitties are saying to us, at times I also wonder what's going on in their little minds.
    :
    Oh, yes, I often wonder about that, too! I would LOVE to know what they are thinking!