Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The mmmrrr-Sound

The mmmrrr-Sound

Isn't it just the cutest sound in their language? I just love it when they do that, like my Lily when she's greeting me by saying that.
    Or, when you approach them while they're resting (which I know you shouldn't do, but sometimes I just can't help it ), they'd sound like "mmmrrr?", like a question? I wonder what that means in our language! (most likely something like "Can't you just leave me alone, mom?")

I know, I love that sound! And, it does sound like a question they way it comes out. Love my kitties!

Cats have such a varied vocabulary - I am always amazed at the nuances that Eve exchanges with me when we "chat". Her "mrrr" sound is usually an answer to a question I might ask her - "mrrr" usually means "yes" - she has a completely different sound for "no" - hard to describe but it is sassy .

Another sound I love is "mrrrp" - it's a happy sound.
    Yours in Whiskers

I'm not young enough to know everything.

"The Best Mirror is an Old Friend"

“The secret of what is small is the secret of clear-sightedness; the guarding of what is soft and tender is the secret of strength.”

• Lao Tzu

Apparently that is a greeting - the mrrrp with the rising note at the end. It can also mean "you are pretty". I try that on my cats and get the sweet blinking eyes, which is apparently the human equivalent of blowing kisses!

Zoe makes a sound that I can only describe as "meep". It is quite soft but clear. One of her nicknames is now "Meeper".
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Sometimes I get an emphatic "Mrrrr!" Like, "Stop what you're doing, human, and pay attention to meeeeeeee!" But yes, most of the time "Mrrr" is a happy sound from Cassie
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Hi Kirsten,
    It's great to hear from you again! I definitely agree, I love when Groucho makes the mmmrrr sound. When I get in from work, we sit together and talk about what he did all day. He has quite a variety of sounds and each one is great. While I often wonder what our kitties are saying to us, at times I also wonder what's going on in their little minds.

Sending lots of lovies to Luna and Lily
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

I agree. I love that sound, too!

I will miss you forever, my sweet Scooter Bug. You were my best friend. 9/21/1995 - 1/23/2010
    Goodbye, Oreo. Gone too soon. 4/2003 - 9/12/2011.
    Farewell & Godspeed, sweet Jadie Francine. You took a piece of my heart with you. 11/2002 - 8/8/2016
    Charlie kitty, aka: Mr. Meowy. Our home is far too silent now. 2003-6/14/2018

I hear that soothing sound from the Empress Josephine all the time and it makes us both happy
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Oh yes, I'm sure everyone's translation is right and it's a greeting sound, a happy sound... However, the one that sounds like a question always make me think it's the feline way of asking "what's up?", or something like that.

Candace, yes, I know what you mean re. blinking being the feline version of blowing kisses. I read somewhere it's their smile. My girls love doing that, it makes them happy when I'm blinking at them, and they would blink/smile back. It's very sweet actually.

Apropos of this, one of Oscar's nicknames is "Muttering Boy". He rarely actually MEOWS.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Maybe it's because he is in trouble a lot but sometimes when I say Chip, I get a sound like what? out of him.
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    MY BLESSINGS:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I can tell what Jax is doing by his meow (or sounds). I can tell he is chasing a bug, or wants in the closet, or wants me to turn on the water in the sink.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Quote Originally Posted by momcat View Post
    Hi Kirsten,
    While I often wonder what our kitties are saying to us, at times I also wonder what's going on in their little minds.
    :
    Oh, yes, I often wonder about that, too! I would LOVE to know what they are thinking!

Diamond makes that "mrrp?" sound; and yes, it is a question! Spike meow sounds almost like "Hello"!
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

Bringing this old thread up because I just heard another sound from Cassie that I love. When she hops up on the bed, she lets me know she is there: "Mm-ROUT!" Which is different from the loud ""Wake up! I'm hungry! Feed me!" meow.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678