Thread: Spray to calm cats?

Spray to calm cats?

My neighbor is looking after two cats in her flat, she didn't separate them for the first few days. One is very agressive to the other. Lord Nelson, 6 months old is relaxed and just wants to play, but Pixel, one year old hisses and wants to kill him, she says.

I have agreed to take Lord Nelson to my flat tomorrow, hoping Missy, who I look after, will tolerate him and hopefully play with him. My neighbor is really stressed out about this. I told her that Fister's vet once sprayed something into his box to calm him when he went back home, that helped a lot, but I can't remember the name of it. Can any of you remember what it is?

I think the vet is open tomorrow and since New Years Eve is coming up, it probably would be a good idea to get some of that stuff, although I think it's expensive.

My plan is to keep Lord Nelson separated, but let them smell each other and then later see how it goes.

Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post
    My neighbor is looking after two cats in her flat, she didn't separate them for the first few days. One is very agressive to the other. Lord Nelson, 6 months old is relaxed and just wants to play, but Pixel, one year old hisses and wants to kill him, she says.

I have agreed to take Lord Nelson to my flat tomorrow, hoping Missy, who I look after, will tolerate him and hopefully play with him. My neighbor is really stressed out about this. I told her that Fister's vet once sprayed something into his box to calm him when he went back home, that helped a lot, but I can't remember the name of it. Can any of you remember what it is?

I think the vet is open tomorrow and since New Years Eve is coming up, it probably would be a good idea to get some of that stuff, although I think it's expensive.

My plan is to keep Lord Nelson separated, but let them smell each other and then later see how it goes.

Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks!
    I've heard of various sprays, but not of a litter box spray. I'm interested in learning about this.

I do have a question about the cats. Are these cats from different homes or do they normally stay together? I am wondering if this is their normal relationship or if the older one is stressed about the move.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

It's not a spray used only for boxes they're in, you can use it in your home too. Does that help get you on the "track"?

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Feline pheronomes are what you want. In USA, the brand name is Feliway. It comes as a diffuser and as a spray. Most folks do not find the diffuser helpful at all, so get the spray.

This can NOT be sprayed directly on the cat. What you can do is make a fabric sleeve for a cat collar and spray the fabric. Then replace the collar around the neck, and the cat now takes the calming scent every place with him / her. (Thanks to Candace for this tip). I've never actually done this, but I have read about it from so many folks both on here and on a cat forum.

Cat introductions generally take a few weeks. So plan on keeping them separated for some time. If you 'mess up,' and put them together too soon, it is MUCH harder to correct things. It can take over 2 years to get 2 cats adjusted to living together if you mess up and are trying to back up and reintroduce them.

Thank you, Freedom! I recognize the name, Feliway and that's probably what my vet sprayed into Fister's box. I have e-mailed him and I think he is open tomorrow, so if if it all goes beserk, I can g and get some of that, or a 2 mg. Diazepam.

The "collar" around the neck sounds like a good idea.
    Last edited by Randi; 12-29-2014 at 03:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post
    It's not a spray used only for boxes they're in, you can use it in your home too. Does that help get you on the "track"?

????????????

But thanks for that. I was thinking of Feliway but couldn't remember the name. But one never knows of new products out there.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)