Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice needed

Advice needed

Hello fellow cat lovers,
    I need some advice.
    My gorgeous boy Odin, who is 11(ish- he was a rescue so we aren't totally sure how old he is) has cancer and is not doing well. It can't be treated as it is too far advanced, so he is terminal at this point. Our whole family is beyond gutted as he is the sweetest cat and brings us such joy.
    My question is, when do you know it is the right moment to let him go? He isn't in pain at this point, but he has lost a lot of weight, and doesn't eat very much any more. He spends most of his day sleeping and he almost seems depressed- he was the cleanest cat ever but he doesn't groom much anymore. I guess what I am trying to say is that while he isn't suffering he doesn't seem to have a lot of quality of life any more either.
    I'd really like to hear what others who have gone through this would advise.
    I've attached a pic of my boy, he is such a gorgeous boy don't you think?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Yes, your boy is gorgeous. When my cat Sassy was dying from cancer I watched her quality of life. When she stopped looking out the window, sitting for hours and watching my big fish swim around and then, started hiding, I knew it was time. My thoughts and prayers are with you at this difficult time. {hugs}
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

What a handsome orangie! I am sorry you are having to deal with this. You've had such wonderful times together, hold on to those.

Does he still enjoy being held, being cuddled? Give him lots and lots of love.

At some point, you say, "this is not right, this is not fair, this is not how I / we want to remember him."

He is so beautiful!!

Chocolatepuppy gave you the best advice. You'll know. When his quality of life starts deteriorating, and isn't doing what he so loved doing and not eating, that's a sign. If he's not in any pain, just make him as comfortable as possible. I have a friend who has a 17 year old cat who has termial cancer. She is stick thin and will oly eat turkey, ham or chicken baby food. The vet gave her 3 months to live, a year and a half ago!!

Try giving Odin some of that. He might enjoy it. You and Odin will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

My heart goes out to you since I know what you are going through. Boo ate good and was able to do what she wanted right up to the day I took her in to be PTS. The deciding factor to me was that tumor that had been hard as a rock before was suddenly loose and weighing down on her head and that same day, although we had her on antibiotics, it was clear there was a lot of infection in it. That's when I picked up the phone and made the appointment.

Afterwards, I regretted I waited as long as I did because she lived on top of the refridgerator with her face shoved into a corner so the other cats wouldn't see her. It was SO sad to see her like that but I just wasn't ready to give her up yet. God! I still miss her so!! I don't think I will ever get over loosing her.....

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

All I could do when My Dear Old Found Cats were ill and I knew that they would be Angels was to make them as comfortable as I could nd to give them the treats that I knew that they would like the most
    We are sending pryaers for Dear Odin, that your White Coats can help him as much as possible and if there is anything that Odin really likes, to treat him as Odin is so special to you, and all of we Cat Lovers on Pet Talk
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

I've been a part of this forum for several years. I read a lot of stories of fellow pet lovers having to make this difficult decision. I always thought I could not do that. Then when my kitty Taz became ill I turned to my PT family and asked the same question you are asking now. They said I would know when it was time. But I didn't. I kept asking Taz to let me know when it was time.
    After having to give him subQ fluids for two weeks I took him for a check up. He weighed 6.7lbs (he weighed in at 21.5 at his heaviest) and the vet basically said there was nothing more to be done. That's when I knew it was time to let him go. He let out a big sigh when they gave him the first shot to relax him. Oh boy, the tears are flowing again and this was almost 3 years ago.
    Anyway, even though you don't think so now............you will know when it is time. I can't tell you how, but you will know.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

I'm so sorry you have to go through this. Odin is a gorgeous boy and it hurts to let him go, of course. Give him all the love you can, while he's with you.

I agree with what Freedom said:

At some point, you say, "this is not right, this is not fair, this is not how I / we want to remember him."
    Sending Odin lots of kisses, and hugs to you.

Take care!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Odin sure is a very handsome boy. I'm so sorry to hear that he has cancer. So far I've had to put three of my cats to sleep. Like others have already said, you just need to look at their quality of life and when that's gone then it's time. Sometimes others will also let you know because you may not see what they see. I hope that he'll continue to remain comfortable and please give him some lovin's for me. My thoughts and prayers are with you during this difficult time. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

Thank you all so much for your advice- it helps to hear from people who understand. I'm so sorry to hear of other cats going through what we are.
    Odin had a pretty good day yesterday, ate quite a bit and even managed to have a swipe at his sister Freya, like he used to.
    It is so painful to see him like he is now, he actually used to be overweight but is just skin and bones now.
    We have decided to see how he is at the end of the month, he is still having good days now but they are fewer, most days he just sleeps the whole day through.

Boo had lost a lot of weight during her "illness" and it broke my heart to see her getting so frail but she could STILL jump up on the refrigerator. She hardly acted like she was in pain.. I have a lot of peace in what I had to do and how I handled it.. I carried her in my arms from the vets office to her grave, put her in the grave myself and covered her with the dirt. Doing those final acts of love for her gave me peace and loosing her has made me love and appreciate my others 1000 time more. I know she died happy and knowing she was loved SO MUCH! I've lost cats before but loosing her has cut so deep into my heart that I doubt I will ever fully recover.

Just wanted to let you all know that Odin died this morning. He had rallied a bit over the past few weeks so I had hoped we might get more time with him but this morning when I got up I could tell something wasn't right and our other two cats were very restless and upset, like they knew something was wrong.
    He came over to my side one last time, laid down and let out a huge sigh and he was gone. I miss him so much already but I am thankful for our years together and the love he gave me and that I was there to cuddle him one last time. Thank you all for your support and advice.

My heart goes out to you. Odin was a beautiful boy and the next while without him will be so difficult. Keep his spirit close and take comfort in knowing you gave him lots of love and a good life. I believe waiting to give you one last hug was his way of saying thank you - cherish that memory.

Rest in peace dear Odin - you were much loved.
    Yours in Whiskers

I'm not young enough to know everything.

"The Best Mirror is an Old Friend"

“The secret of what is small is the secret of clear-sightedness; the guarding of what is soft and tender is the secret of strength.”

• Lao Tzu

So sorry to hear of Odin's passing. He obviously loved you very much. Play hard at the Bridge, Odin!
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

My tears are mixing with yours. I am crying with you. It is just so hard to loose one but he choose his own time and his own way. He choose to be by your side and I find that very touching and I would find a lot of comfort in that. May God be with you and your other fur kids in your time of sadness. ((((HUGS))))