Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kia and Chipper need surgery

Kia and Chipper need surgery

Today I took Kia and Chipper in for their annual exams. Late last week, Chipper developed a hematoma in the right ear, so I of course had the vet give her opinions on treatment.

Kia weighs in at 62 lbs! Chipper is up to 56 as well. Kia is now slightly overweight so I need to trim her up.

The vet found Kia has two broken teeth, so she recommended a dental cleaning. Having her knocked out worries me because of her age, but she'll have blood tests and x-rays prior to make sure she can handle the anesthetic.

Both of Chipper's ear canals were swollen. The vet suspects allergies. He doesn't excessively scratch, but does shake his head a lot, which caused the hematoma.

The vet recommended a surgical procedure to remove the fluid and stitch a brace to the ear. If all goes well, his ear may stand back up.

So Chipper is scheduled to go in this Thursday. He will have to stay the night, possibly two. He'll also get his vaccinations while under the anesthetic.

Kia is scheduled for next Thursday. She should be able to come home the same day unless there are complications.

But, other than the teeth and ear issues, they are doing very well and are overall healthy.

Now, to not stress out.....
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

Awww, no stressing out, mom - easier said than done, I know!

My older brother got the opposite news, his Nilla is actually a bit underweight (12-year-old Husky/Lab) so Nilla gets to have extra treats! This will NOT be a problem, as Nilla will happily chow down most anything available.

And I am sure Kia will handle the anesthesia fine - don't you all wish we humans could be knocked unconscious for our dental work sometimes?
    I've Been Frosted

It's funny, because people have remarked about how much bigger Kia looks. I was just surprised it was THAT much.

I'll do my best not to fret. Ironically, I don't mind the dentist.

Quote Originally Posted by ramanth View Post
    Ironically, I don't mind the dentist.
    Good, you can take my place, next Thurs, 10 AM.

The dental doesn't sound too bad, for her age, that is to be an expected report from a vet visit, I think. The testing prior will help ensure she does well. Have some canned food on hand for the first few days she is home.

The eat thingie, ouch I hate ear infections! I didn't see where you said what to do about the ears being swollen from allergies? That may be an ongoing issue, but with luck, regular ear drops will help ease that. The procedure for the hematoma and all, best wishes with that. Pull out the cone collar!

I see extra walkies in yours and Kia's future, lol.

Pawsitive thoughts and prayers for both Kia and Chipper. I'm sure all will go well, but just as sure you'll still worry.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

I hope that both of their surgeries go well. My cat Storm is 16 and he had a dental cleaning and had 4 teeth extracted in April and everything went well so please try not to worry too much. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent their way.

Poor Chipper was so scared and confused this morning. While sitting in the waiting room, he put his front paws on my lap and started trembling. I pulled him up into my lap and he continued shaking. I felt so bad for him.

He gave me the 'why are you leaving me?!?!?!' look when the tech led him away.

The vet said no news is good news, but if I don't hear from them, I can call after 2 pm for an update.

If all goes well, he can come home after 11 am tomorrow. They'll contact me in the morning if he has to stay an extra night.

Kia's moping, so she misses her buddy.

I'm sorry you they both need surgery.. that's never fun! I hope all is well....update when you can!

Surgery went well. Chipper woke up fine from the anesthesia and is resting comfortably. They asked for me to call at 11 am tomorrow to find out if he can come home.

Such good news! Bet you'll be glad when he's back home.

Quote Originally Posted by ramanth View Post
    Surgery went well. Chipper woke up fine from the anesthesia and is resting comfortably. They asked for me to call at 11 am tomorrow to find out if he can come home.
    Yay! ((HUGS))) Chipper !
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Chipper is home!

Chipper after surgery by ramanth, on Flickr

He's on antibiotics, pain meds, antihistamines, and has an ear ointment. The next couple of weeks are going to be fun. I have to also apply a warm compress to the ear twice a day.

He goes back Monday for a follow up. The bandage that is stitched to his ear will come off in about two weeks.

He's overall in good spirits, but of course hates the 'Cone of Shame', and wants to rub the ear on everything and anything.

I'm glad to hear that his surgery went well and that he's now back home. I hope that he'll recover quickly and be a good boy and take all of his meds too.

Oh, Chipper, I know it's itchy, but if you are good boy, and leave the ear alone while it heals, you'll be back good as new in no time! Be patient with mama Kim as she gives you the medicine and the warm compresses, okay? I'll save a watermelon rind for you ....
    I've Been Frosted

Chipper had a follow up visit today.

The outside of his ear is healing well and the hematoma is draining properly. His ear canals are still pretty swollen though, so I need to apply the medication there.

His next checkup is this Thursday and Kia will also be dropped off that morning for her dental cleaning and possible tooth pulling.